AV-TEST SE Labs January-March 202 Home Ant-Malware Protection

Disclaimer
  1. This test shows how an antivirus behaves with certain threats, in a specific environment and under certain conditions.
    We encourage you to compare these results with others and take informed decisions on what security products to use.
    Before buying an antivirus you should consider factors such as price, ease of use, compatibility, and support. Installing a free trial version allows an antivirus to be tested in everyday use before purchase.

CyberPanther

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
SE Labs tested a variety of anti-malware (aka ‘anti-virus’; aka ‘endpoint security’) products from a range of well-known vendors in an effort to judge which were the most effective.
Each product was exposed to the same threats, which were a mixture of targeted attacks using well-established techniques and public email and web-based threats that were found to be live on the internet at the time of the test.
The results indicate how effectively the products were at detecting and/or protecting against those threats in real time.

Annotation 2020-05-13 095910.png

SE Labs Report

SE Labs

CyberPanther

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
I am a bit confused because of AVG and Avast for their Protection Accuracy Rating and Legitimate Accuracy Rating.
Protection Accuracy Rating AVG 100% and Avast 95%.
Legitimate Accuracy Rating AVG 97% and Avast 100%.

AVG and Avast have the same engine.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
It's surprising to see TrustPort tested, as it is no longer sold.
Where can I buy TrustPort AntiVirus products?
TrustPort Antivirus products are no more available for sale. Trustport company decided to focus on development of other security products and to terminate development of Antivirus products for SMB and enterprise segment. Technical support of sold licenses will be provided in future.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I am a bit confused because of AVG and Avast for their Protection Accuracy Rating and Legitimate Accuracy Rating.
Protection Accuracy Rating AVG 100% and Avast 95%.
Legitimate Accuracy Rating AVG 97% and Avast 100%.

AVG and Avast have the same engine.
according to my experience, although they have the exact same engines, sometimes, there will be some differences in detection rate.
I tried to test with a few malwares, Avast detected them with behavioral blocker but AVG failed. In a different occasion, AVG detected but avast failed
1 more time, avast detected a malware but the day after, it failed against the same malware
I think there is an inconsistency in their cloud response

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I don't like SE Labs ranking system. Protection accuracy, Total accuracy these two terms makes things very confusing. They should either use only one or show the number of blocked, missed threats and group them based on blocking at browser level, post download, post execution and so on.

XLR8R

Level 4
Jan 20, 2020
according to my experience, although they have the exact same engines, sometimes, there will be some differences in detection rate.
I tried to test with a few malwares, Avast detected them with behavioral blocker but AVG failed. In a different occasion, AVG detected but avast failed
1 more time, avast detected a malware but the day after, it failed against the same malware
I think there is an inconsistency in their cloud response

The IDP sometimes gets a delayed response, and other times the inter-process communication just fails. I have observed some instances when a dropper was busy dropping and IDP kicks in only after a couple files have already been dropped. Moreover, there are times when self-protection doesn't kick in fast enough for the shields to get disabled too. These are bugs Avast needs to iron out, they appear to be around since at least two years.

Since they integrated some of their Enterprise protection in the consumer version they got very good protection 👌.
Sophos has always been in the "good, not great" category and IMHO continues to be there.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.