Advice Request Second opinion on this windows 11 hardening guide

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Frogish

Level 1
Thread author
May 3, 2022

Hi!
I would appreciate of someone with a bit of experience could share their opinion on this guide i found while googling. Is it worth following every step? Is it up to date and so on.

Thanks in advance 🙂👍

Reactions: Nevi

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I think W11 is relatively secure and that hardening it like that is too much. An antivirus+OSArmor+ Sandboxie+Voodooshield+ Windows Firewall Control is too much. If you add all the other tweaks, well, good luck!
An antivirus with OSArmor or Sandboxie or Voodooshield or Hard_Configurator with Macrium , a secure dns, an adblocker like Ublock Origin or Adguard are good enough to keep you secure. If something goes wrong, you'll be able to pinpoint the issue and correct it easily.
OSArmor for instance has 4 profiles of protection or hardening that you can experiment with.....
It's important to maintain a good balance of usability and security.

Last edited:

cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013

Hi!
I would appreciate of someone with a bit of experience could share their opinion on this guide i found while googling. Is it worth following every step? Is it up to date and so on.

Thanks in advance 🙂👍
One must always be careful of guides such as the one you cited. Often the author may be conversant with with forms of defense against malware without really understanding malware itself. For example quoting from the article:

"To see the Digital Signatures of a file, right click on a file, choose Properties, then Digital Signature tab. This reveals the company that signed the file. Then click on the Name of Signer, then Details button. It should say "This digital signature is OK". If it does not say that, then the file has been modified - discard it. Check that the signature is signed by the correct company name. This also is a guarentee that the file has not been modified.

The Edge browser has SmartScreen. It is a reputation checker. SmartScreen looks at many things and it revokes trust when a download has done bad things on a user's computer. So if the file has a signature, it can revoke trust of anything signed with that signature if the signature has a bad reputation.."

The corollary to this statement then is that a file that states "This digital signature is OK" would be fine to run. However this is far, far from the case. As an example, please see something in this video (just a few seconds at the 0:40 point):

Also this particular file (among many others) is totally ignored by something else that this article suggests: "Turn UAC to the max". Perhaps at one time this was helpful, but I assure you that this is no longer the case.

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

Of course, my guide is the best!!!
1. Windows 11 Enterprise FREE
2. Appguard with tweaks
3. Shadow Defender
4. Good VPN
5. Nice white listing firewall. Like Firewall Application Blocker in white list mode FREE
6. Privacy cleaner of choice.

Victor M

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 3, 2022
I found that guide helpful. It explains what security controls there are in Windows and makes good use of it. For example the firewall section is quite detailed. And it has a Win Defender anti-exploit profile for Chrome. Too bad the scripts are not free, but everybody's got to make a living.

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 95367

Hi!

Thanks in advance 🙂👍
That Windows Hardening guide has been around for a long time; it was started back in the W7 era. It is comprehensive. If you have the inclination to do everything in it, then your OS will be more secure. It helps to do each of the steps in a VM to see if anything is broken. The author used to sell a CD with all the scripts on it. Is it practical? Obviously most here would say "no," but that is up to the user to decide. If anything it will be a learning experience. You will definitely learn alot.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.