Advice Request Do second opinion scanners affect PC performance?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

markstitovits

Level 2
Thread author
Sep 13, 2022
I had this experience about 3 months ago.

Once I had problems with Firefox and any Firefox based browsers, and I knew it was related to Bitdefender. So I contacted Bitdefender Premium support to help me fix the problem. They connected to my computer and found out the problem was the following: I was using second opinion scanners(hitmanpro, NPE, Sophos).

The support agent said that these leaves residue and it can effect performance. She also stated the hitman pro is one of the main factors why I had this problem. She said it has a some modules that Bitdefender also has built-in and they are interfering. In the end we had to re-install Bitdefender and remove any residue left by other 2nd op. scanners. The problem was fixed.

I have also made a more detailed post on the forum about the problem I had.

What are you opinions about this? Is this really true?

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
What kind of "residue" are you referring to? Malware remnants? Remnants left behind when uninstalling other software?

On-demand scanners like HitmanPro generally have no real-time capabilities so they're sitting dormant until called upon. It's true that HitmanPro has the BitDefender engine but that shouldn't have any bearing on the behavior of other software, unless possibly if you're running a HMP scan at the same time BitDefender is.

When I had HitmanPro on this system, it never interfered with anything, certainly not Firefox. So I don't know what to make of your experience w/BitDefender's support.

TairikuOkami

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
What are you opinions about this? Is this really true?
There are few ondemand scanners which leave no residue like Emsisoft and MWAV, some install drivers for removal.
NPE used to install a tracing session (perfmon). HitmanPro also used to install by default, one scan a day at startup.

Attachments

• capture_02052023_174130.jpg
    capture_02052023_174130.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 127

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.