Secure DNS over HTTPS within Microsoft Edge Canary

SearchLight

Level 13
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 3, 2017
For weeks, I have been trying to enable Secure DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge Stable. Although, I found how to enable the feature via the experimental flags accessed through the address bar, whenever I went to Cloudfare's help site: 1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver , the response back was that it was not happening.

The current stable version of Edge has no Custom Settings for one's preferred DNS service, so I searched the web, and found that the customization feature is currently available in Microsoft Edge Canary. I downloaded Canary, and low and behold, I have Secure DNS over HTTPS using Cloudfare. I am using this as a backup browser but whenever I use it, I have encountered no hiccups just like Edge Stable.

Thus, if you are a Microsoft Edgeaphile, and looking for the feature now, you can find it in the Canary version.

I guess Microsoft doesn't stay as current with the latest features like Google Chrome, Firefox, and Opera do. I have these browsers as well, and Secure DNS over HTTPS is active, and working within them.

Last edited:

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
For weeks, I have been trying to enable Secure DNS over HTTPS in Microsoft Edge Stable. Although, I found how to enable the feature via the experimental flags accessed through the address bar, whenever I went to Cloudfare's help site: 1.1.1.1 — the Internet’s Fastest, Privacy-First DNS Resolver , the response back was that it was not happening.
Here on my latest stable Edge, DoH by Cloudflare works properly after manually to enable this flag: "Secure DNS lookups"

1.png2.png3.png

silversurfer

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Aug 17, 2014
Do you have ever tried to setup Cloudflare DNS on settings of Windows 10:
This could be the reason why my Edge (latest stable) works over DoH by Cloudflare

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.