Advice Request Secure folder for risky downloads

General Security Discussions
12 Replies 1,329 Views
Share practical recommendations that address the author's needs.

Parkinsond

Level 68
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Is it possible to create a folder dedicated for suspicious downloaded files, with the property of "not allowing execution of files inside"?
 
Yes, it's possible. You can set specific permissions to a folder to prevent execution of files. However, this doesn't guarantee full protection as some malware can change permissions. It's safer to use a sandbox or virtual machine for risky downloads.
 
I know that. That's exactly what this does.

Screenshot 2025-05-05 170213.png
 
Any alternative native tricks of folder properties?
I'm not sure about native, but there has to be some Windows controls you can use since most security tools are based on Windows internals.

Sorry not much help, your use case is kind of new. Have you considered using a VM without network activity/disable network adapter like VirtualBox or VMware?
 
I'm not sure about native, but there has to be some Windows controls you can use since most security tools are based on Windows internals.

Sorry not much help, your use case is kind of new. Have you considered using a VM without network activity/disable network adapter like VirtualBox or VMware?
Never tried VM before; I was looking for a more simple solution.
 

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top