Not open for further replies.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
All these products have among the highest malware detection rates on the market. So in most cases they will protect you well.
But what distinguishes them?
We have most of well known names here, honorable mention would go also for :

Auslogics Antivirus
IObit Advanced SystemCare with Antivirus 2013
Hauri (ViRobot)
Imen,
Immunet,
MultiCore Antivirus
RadialPoint
Roboscan Internet Security,
SafeNSoft,
SecurityCoverage,
SourceNext,
VirusChaser,
Zenok.​

Last edited:
Reactions: usmangujjar

ZeroDay

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 17, 2013
I chose Emsisoft. I think it's a great product, with a fantastic bb built in. And their customer service is second to none.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
I would go for F-secure.Very light, effective, and a great "zero day" component (Deepguard)

Littlebits

Retired Staff
May 3, 2011
I personally don't like the BitDefender engine, I believe it is highly over-rated because of AV testing sites which are paid well for the testing results. Even if the detection rates were accurate, detection is only one factor to consider when choosing an AV. From high false positives to system performance issues and bugs, it just not a good engine for real-time protection.

However Emsisoft probably is the best because they actually take steps to remove the high false positive detections and their own engine is pretty good by itself, bugs and system performance issues not as bad as others. Still I only prefer to use it as a on-demand scanner.

Thanks. :D

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
Roboscan Internet Security also uses Bitdefender engine @BoraMurdar....
BTW, which of them have free version except Lavasoft, Roboscan and Qihoo??
Sorry for not mentioning Roboscan, I forgot.
In fact, my motive for posting this poll is to know what of all of these above are offering the most for user protection. Some of just use BitDefender engine and that's it. So if we "remove" BitDefender engine from all of these products, in your opinion, who of them would protect you the most.

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
From me you will be not surprised i chose Emsisoft ^^
Even I don't like BitDefender at all, you are probably right. Emsisoft offers the most components for protection, and from all of these I should recommend it. I have chosen BullGuard in the poll because I like the interface and it's lighter than others, IMO.

Neiltullio

Level 2
Verified
Dec 25, 2013
@BoraMurdar : answering your detail question - Trustport, as it is multiengine product (AVG and Bitdefender now, right?), so after removing Bitdefender another serious engine left.

Answering your basic question - I know for sure I would not choose any product from vendor not related to antymalware industry.
I would choose vendor for whom fighting malware is bread and butter, who has some in-house technology, own researchers and viruslab.

I think it is true for FSecure, Emsisoft, GData.
I doubt it is true for IObit, Zenok, Auslogics, but also for BullGuard and TrustPort (and not listed here : Ashampoo and Coranti)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
@BoraMurdar : answering your detail question - Trustport, as it is multiengine product (AVG and Bitdefender now, right?), so after removing Bitdefender another serious engine left.

Answering your basic question - I know for sure I would not choose any product from vendor not related to antymalware industry.
I would choose vendor for whom fighting malware is bread and butter, who has some in-house technology, own researchers and viruslab.

I think it is true for FSecure, Emsisoft, GData.
I doubt it is true for IObit, Zenok, Auslogics, but also for BullGuard and TrustPort (and not listed here : Ashampoo and Coranti)
F Secure (Kaspersky also) is well known company for researching and studying new malware and always one of the first companies that alerts the world that new form of malware came out into the wild. GData and Emsisoft not quite so. For F Secure I can show only respect.

Neiltullio

Level 2
Verified
Dec 25, 2013
True, but making PR is not everything ;)
Emsisoft is small company, they couldn't make valuable AV themselves. They have to use 3th party engine.
I also don't expect from them to make deep research. It requires time and human resources.
But they are devoted to make their product in security field, and they made own HIPS (Mamutu).
GData is bigger, they work in security for ages and they have real developers and not only GUI programmers ;)

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
True, but making PR is not everything ;)
Emsisoft is small company, they couldn't make valuable AV themselves. They have to use 3th party engine.
I also don't expect from them to make deep research. It requires time and human resources.
But they are devoted to make their product in security field, and they made own HIPS (Mamutu).
GData is bigger, they work in security for ages and they have real developers and not only GUI programmers ;)

Don't understand Emsisoft is small company, they couldn't make valuable AV themselves
Most AV's use mutliscanning,primarily because no single Av engine is 100% Each engine uses different scanning methods and updates.Using more than 1 increases the chances of catching malware.

Emsisoft uses an in-house engine with BitDefender engine

G-Data AntiVirus uses Avast and BitDefender's engine

F-secure uses an in-house engine with BitDefender's engine

"GData is bigger, they work in security for ages and they have real developers and not only GUI programmers"

I know people that work for Emsisoft and would have to disagree with the above comment

Nedim

Level 12
Verified
Mar 17, 2013
BullGuard and Emsisoft.
I have had some great experiences with these two. Both are light and effective.
Worked much better than Bitdefender on my PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.