Security Software You'd Never Go Back To

Morvotron

Level 7
Thread author
Verified
Mar 24, 2015
Is there any security software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall) you'd never go back to? Maybe a horrible experience? Internet reviews?

In my case, i'll stay as far as i can from AVG. Everytime i used it, it failed. When i install it on someone's PC he gets infected. Some time ago i gave it a try on a VM and it still fails as much as the Hindenburg.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Is there any security software (antivirus, antispyware, firewall) you'd never go back to? Maybe a horrible experience? Internet reviews?

In my case, i'll stay as far as i can from AVG. Everytime i used it, it failed. When i install it on someone's PC he gets infected. Some time ago i gave it a try on a VM and it still fails as much as the Hindenburg.
I remember the old Windows XP times when I was younger and unexperienced ;) I was downloading each software from Softonic and I had a lot of toolbars, sweetpage, babylon search and so on, with my silent AVG. I Always managed to remove those infection without any second opinion scanner (I didn't even know what malwarebytes was). Also me, I bypassed AVG on the first day of testing with ransomware

D

Deleted member 178

For me ? Kaspersky , Avast , Comodo, Voodooshield, Immunet were already banned.. and thinking of it , probably now almost all real-time AV would be blacklisted on my system ; among those RT AVs deserving to be installed on my computer are Webroot and Emsisoft.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
AVG, Avira, BitDefender, Symantec, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm, Immunte, McAfee, Sophos, SUPERAntiSpyware, Zemana, SpyBot, F-Secure. K7 and QuickHeal.

This is the list of AVs or security products that I don't wanna install due to bad experience.

D

Deleted Member 3a5v73x

Never gonna install again pc security related softwares bundled with "registry cleaners" and "speed boost" things, no matter who the company is, its all bloatware and unneeded crap, and if security vendor can fool you of usefulness of added "cleaners" then they sure can lie about "protection" technologies in their "security" software.

D

Deleted member 178

Comodo: Reason:
- Comodo: "Do you want to run this file?"
- Me: "Yes"
- Comodo: "Do you want to run this file too?"
- Me: "Yes, the whole application" o_O
- Comodo: "eehh... what about this one?"
- Me: "Yes the whole process" "Threat as a freakin' trusted application! and do not ask again please!" :mad:
- Comodo: "ok... what about this dll?"
- Me: "UNINSTALL":)

lol so true.

Der.Reisende

Level 45
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Dec 27, 2014
[...]
Comodo
: Reason:
- Comodo: "Do you want to run this file?"
- Me: "Yes"
- Comodo: "Do you want to run this file too?"
- Me: "Yes, the whole application" o_O
- Comodo: "eehh... what about this one?"
- Me: "Yes the whole process" "Threat as a freakin' trusted application! and do not ask again please!" :mad:
- Comodo: "ok... what about this dll?"
- Me: "UNINSTALL":)
Made my Day :D

What I won't use again - and didn't since long time ago I tried I and it completely messed up my PC (internet, StartMenu, literally everything blocked, AV of course too), better than the worst Malware - ZoneAlarm Firewall. Was XP times as far as I remember.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.