Security Software You'd Never Go Back To

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
AVG, Avira, BitDefender, Symantec, Ad-Aware, ZoneAlarm, Immunte, McAfee, Sophos, SUPERAntiSpyware, Zemana, SpyBot, F-Secure. K7 and QuickHeal.

This is the list of AVs or security products that I don't wanna install due to bad experience.
Which kind of troubles did you encounter with avira and Symantec? When?

Atlas147

Level 30
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 28, 2014
Panda, they have the bad software and some how even worse tech support. Loaded Panda just to test it out, it almost destroyed by system it was so buggy. First I couldn't uninstall it the normal way, had to download their official uninstaller. Uninstaller did not work either, kept hanging midway. Contacted tech support, they said that support was only for paying customers even though it is advertised as free on their website. Never returning to them ever again.

Neno

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jan 4, 2012
No matter what AV/IS product i used i never got infected. 2 and a half decades into IT industry will 'grant' you that 'benefit' :). But the product I don't even want to test is certainly McAfee. To tell you the truth i use security products only to test them. In my case Windows Defender with Windows Firewall Control (and Zemana as control point) is all i could ever need.

Kate_L

in memoriam
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 21, 2014
Which kind of troubles did you encounter with avira and Symantec? When?

This year.
Avira: Performance issues, low PUP detection, can be bypassed very easy, flagged malware as goodware, crash the PC if the malware is a drive-by and can be terminated by malware.
Symantec: False positives, signed PUP can bypass, no ransomware protection, PC freezes on removal of advance threats (exploits), can be terminated by malware and the Xvirus detection.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
1/ norton: buggy, very bad usb protection that I got infected by a very old virus that any other AV can detect
2/ AVG: slow, ads, bugs, can break pc
3/ bidefender: always causes problems with IDM that after finishing download, network kept running at the same rate
4/ panda: slow scan, some bugs, can't remove some infected files
5/ avira: memory leak (>1.4gb after playing games). Maybe fixed, who knows
6/ G-data: extremely slows down my pc

dJim

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Mar 12, 2016
1: AVG : the few times i used my pc got infected, high resources pc
2: COMODO firewall : make some test with some friends who know how to penetrate into other pc.. comodo failed.. ( i will give a try the comodo V 10 when release anyway)
3: any program for " boost pc or fix regedit": those just broke pc many times.

TheMalwareMaster

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 4, 2016
Each security product has a problem. That's why I decided to stay with defender on Windows 10. Plus, if you are a security expert and you can use great tools like virus total, sandboxes, virtual machines, malwr malware analysis, why do you need a third part security software? The only dangers are exploit kits and infection via flash drive.

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Each security product has a problem. That's why I decided to stay with defender on Windows 10. Plus, if you are a security expert and you can use great tools like virus total, sandboxes, virtual machines, malwr malware analysis, why do you need a third part security software? The only dangers are exploit kits and infection via flash drive.

I like running security software to be sure that I am safe. If you feel comfortable good for you. :)

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Iobit in terms of Antivirus product because of so poor and no development on their own engine which turned out to borrow license for Bitdefender.

Next is Superantispyware where the product became non existent + its owner transfer to Support.com which known for some questionnable reputation.

I've never suffered any bad experience as tested the antivirus software however no plans to install again because of not paranoid on threats.

TheJokerz

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2016
Avira for me. Back when I had more time to game, it kept screwing up my pc. It would constantly bsod, freeze ect. I even got into contact with their engineers and gave them my logs and they still could not figure out what was causing it. I will never go back ever...

Y

yigido

Avira - They whitelisted (celan verdict) some ransomware samples that I submitted. I sent them again to change the verdict no luck! Good bye!
AVG - Worst privacy policy and I saw AVG on infected system that I cleaned.
Avast - No words, I just don't like it.
Ad-Aware - Just a signature AV
Comodo - They always hide their sandbox feature and don't want to improve other things. They just say "we have sandbox".

Now I just thought and I hate every of them!

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.