Security Software You'd Never Go Back To

Myriad

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
May 22, 2016
Panda, ...... First I couldn't uninstall it the normal way, had to download their official uninstaller. Uninstaller did not work either, kept hanging midway. Contacted tech support, they said that support was only for paying customers even though it is advertised as free on their website. Never returning to them ever again.

I'm no fan of Panda either , but in fairness , nearly all modern AVs that I've come across
seem to have their own in-house uninstaller ..... it's the nature of the beast these days !

I don't think there will ever be a "one-size-fits-all " , hands down winner in the AV game
..... if ever there was , the rest would have to pack up and go home :)

I noticed some comments in this thread from gamers .... I don't play so couldn't comment
but it indicates to me that what you do on your machine can have a big influence on your
experiences with various AVs.

On a final note .... I kept a "parallel " W7 rig going for a year with no AV whatsoever and I
used it as much as my main W7 rig ..... and nothing bad EVER happened .

Oops .... I've wandered off-topic ....

So to answer the question .... I'd never go back to McAfee or AVG

ng4ever

Level 17
Verified
Feb 11, 2016
Zemana AntiMalware because it doesn't want to work anymore and slows down a powerful pc 10 fold. It use it work fine. I know it is not my PC because I tried it on a different PC and same thing.

Tried both the Zemana AntiMalware installation and portable version.

Also it slows down SUMo scanning a lot turns it into minutes instead of seconds.

Ana_Filiz

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Aug 23, 2016
Iobit softwares are banned for me! Reason: Resources heavy and slow!
ESET is also banned. Reason: Best advertising ever + robot art is awesome but SO MANY false reports, malware recognition is just bad.
Kaspersky: I've used it for 2 years. Reason: Slow update, engine.
Panda: Any panda security software it has been banned since 1999. That software should never exist!
Comodo: Reason:
- Comodo: "Do you want to run this file?"
- Me: "Yes"
- Comodo: "Do you want to run this file too?"
- Me: "Yes, the whole application" o_O
- Comodo: "eehh... what about this one?"
- Me: "Yes the whole process" "Threat as a freakin' trusted application! and do not ask again please!" :mad:
- Comodo: "ok... what about this dll?"
- Me: "UNINSTALL":)

Cool post, i laughed so much. If i remember well there are still other AVs that ask many useless questions. :)

My list:
AVG free - got infected;
Comodo firewall - impossible to uninstall;

Last edited:

ttto

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Sep 22, 2016
Avast!: Bloat and advertisements, slows down my pc.
Panda: extremely slows down the pc. I spent hours trying to uninstall it*.
Bitdefender: sometimes, it didn't start up with windows, or the modules did not start.

*I remember the day that I spent all afternoon with Panda, my mum thought I was addicted playing a videogame or chatting in secret with a girl. That was quite funny actually.

AtlBo

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 29, 2014
Troubles with AVG Free go way back to 2000 for me. That was the last time I have had it on a PC. It was very buggy back then.

Probably not going to try SpyShelter Anti-keylogger again. It slowed the PC down on my PC back 3 or 4 years ago. That was a long time ago, but I don't have time to test to see if it's better now. I tried it on 2 PCs :(.

I have this weird idea that someday SuperAntiSpyware is going to be some sort of crazy far gone off the charts great app. I don't know why, but the icon makes me laugh, so I just choose to keep believing. I guess it will have to be good for me to install it again.

I wonder if we will be listing Malwarebytes 3.0 or whatever comes after that in the future in this thread or similar. I keep thinking about this, and the programs and companies they are attempting to beat have such a huge head start on them in many ways. Also, it's a huge change customer service-wise and maintenance-wise. If all goes well, maybe the new will wear off 3.0 and everyone realize that the new MB 3.0 is the way MBAM Pro should have been :)...oh and the MBAM Pro price the way the price should have been (and should still be) too!

Svoll

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
McAfee is the first security app I have tried since it was free from my ISP. At that time, just felt it was lackluster in UI and protection as I have been using a different OS and it just makes windows more buggy and laggy for me. Not sure if its the App or my lack of experience with PC then, but I witness 3 BSOD with it installed while I was playing with the settings.

RejZoR

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 26, 2016
Comodo
Because they are incompetent, ignorant fools. And their community is absolute garbage filled with equally incompetent and ignorant fanboys. Sure it gets seemingly awesome results which also impressed me, but when you start digging further you realize their software is entirely disconnected from reality when it comes to usability and user friendliness. And when you criticize them, they ban you because they get so butthurt every single freaking time. And their endless excuses of "well, you have sandbox" when everything else is broken is just insane. I only install their stuff on new releases so I can laugh at their utter incompetence and then remove it after 1 day.

They could literally be the best security software in existence with awesome community and they decided to become what they are now. No thanks. And what I'm not willing to use, I'm also not willing to recommend to others. So, it's their loss really...

Reactions: Deleted member 2913

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.