Battle Security solution for prosumer? (2 PCs)

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
I need to protect two machines, both are running W10; one is my work PC and the other a gaming PC. Actually Im running GData Internet Security on both, but it seems it is draining more resources at every update, and occasionally some modules goes offline. I came with a list of possible candidates to replace my GData but I'm open to other suggestions, it doesnt have to be one app for both PCs but if advisable I can purchase two different products:
  • Symantec Endpoint Cloud
  • Cylance
  • Carbon Black
  • BitDefender ZeroDay
  • Sophos InterceptX
  • Palo Alto Networks XDR
  • Webroot
  • Comodo [some sub-reddit blocks it for shady business practice]
  • Eset [years ago let malware infect my pc]
  • Kaspersky [years ago let malware infect my pc]
Optional Add-ons:
  • CryptoPrevent
  • VoodooShield
  • Zemana Anti Malware
  • Emsisoft Anti-Malware
  • HitmanPro.Alert
I need a solution to protect from logacy viruses and more recent RansomWare malwares other than network attacks. Someone suggested to implement a firewall separately from AV solution, such as using OPNsense or pfSense on a Partaker. I would stay on max $100,00 for each PC if possible.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I wonder if saving a few bucks is really worth the risk
I hesitate to say this, because you had a bad experience in the past, but testing on the malware hub of this forum usually shows Kaspersky Internet Security to be very strong. Major testing companies usually have the same results. And KIS can be tweaked to higher levels of protection.
Kaspersky Free Antivirus is slightly less effective, but it is lighter on the system than the full suite is.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Don't overlook Kaspersky just because you had a bad experience a long time ago
I thought of that, but then I considered how I'd feel if I let it fool me twice, so I'll just move on and pick something else.

So far I have BitDefender, wanted to put VS and CruelComodo on top of that, what do you think? Do I need to add some specific "on-demand" (read free) Anti Malware? This for the working PC, while gaming PC is a different story. Should I suppress BD firewall if I put CC or just exclude each other?

Reactions: oldschool

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Well they never tried GData then, overall is faster than my previous solution, my only concern is if it is reliable as AV.
In the commercial tests, Bitdefender always does great. But in malware hub testing, it is weaker. However, malwarehub testing does not reflect typical real-life conditions very well. It's a long subject.

In the commercial tests, Bitdefender always does great. But in malware hub testing, it is weaker. However, malwarehub testing does not reflect typical real-life conditions very well. It's a long subject.
But IMHO you need to dig deeper, and try to understand how you got infected in the past, and make sure your user habits are safe. Every AV will eventually fail, in the absence of proper user habits.

Was malware sent to you by email? Did you download from untrustworthy sites? Did your "best" friend give you an infected USB stick? Other?

ebocious

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Oct 25, 2018
I thought of that, but then I considered how I'd feel if I let it fool me twice, so I'll just move on and pick something else.

So far I have BitDefender, wanted to put VS and CruelComodo on top of that, what do you think? Do I need to add some specific "on-demand" (read free) Anti Malware? This for the working PC, while gaming PC is a different story. Should I suppress BD firewall if I put CC or just exclude each other?
You might try Avira. It's a free AV whose detection rates are on par with paid heavy hitters like Bitdefender and Kaspersky.

I wouldn't use CC and VS together. I would use one as a last bastion of security (you can add a real-time AV if you want), with VirusTotal Uploader to scan files, and a browser extension or two on the front line -- I personally would go with a Chromium-based browser (I use Vivaldi myself), and either Malwarebytes Browser Extension or Blocksi Web Filter with the Unrated filter set to Block. You'll catch a false positive here and there, but you'll also catch more zero-day exploits with them than without them.

Finally, back up your stuff. Even if you never get infected, it's important to remember that HDDs and SSDs (indeed all electronics) have a 100% failure rate; they all die eventually. The most secure computer is one that is backed up.

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
You can pile one on top of the other, but it slows down your computer and is redundant, and you have greater risk of software conflicts. If you want a double layer, then the first layer could be Hard_Configurator, which uses native Windows security features, they don't slow down the computer or cause software conflicts.

AV is default-allow. It only stops the bad guys. And thousands of new bad guys are born every day, so you can't stop them all.
Advanced security solutions of the default-deny type only allow the good guys. This approach is much more secure. Such solutions are: Hard_Configurator, Voodooshield, CruelComodo, NVT EXE Radar Pro, AppGuard, ReHIPS, Excubits Bouncer, SecureAPlus, and others

1 Most of the testing that I have seen shows that paid AVs don't necessarily protect better than free AVs. It depends more on luck and user habits. The difference in protection level between the leading AVs is pretty small.

2 If you are a gamer, don't pile a lot of security apps one on top of another. You will slow down the responsiveness of your computer, and have lots of frustrations, and will not significantly improve your security.

You can layer as long as you know how the programs work and work along side each other, I would definitely trial the ones you want to test as Spawn suggested.

If you are running two systems one for work, banking etc... and one for general use and to play games you will want the flexibility to lock one down and go lighter on the other.

Which is why I suggested Cylance, it is about at light as it gets and Intercept X is about as flexible as it gets.

I use Intercept X and I have two systems one for mostly work and banking which I have locked down tighter with Intercept X policies and settings, in particular banking polices and the other also used for work but also for general use and playing some games. Both have different policies and settings in Intercept X both of which I manage from a single dashboard that I can easily access even on my cell phone.

If you are going to manage multiple systems on your home network, this kind of central management from my experience this the way to go and the future of security and privacy for the home network.

camo7782

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Apr 29, 2019
Emsisoft Anti-Malware isn't an add-on like you mentioned, it's complete security product but lacks Firewall.
Notes, I read on their website why tehy falled it Antimalware and triked me to think it was similar to Zemana/MWB and similar software.

But IMHO you need to dig deeper, and try to understand how you got infected in the past, and make sure your user habits are safe.
I got infected while using KIS and ESET before it, in both cases it was a network virus; probably using Windows vulnerability. I have always used licensed Windows and was up to date, but in one case Im pretty sure I had a dial-up connection, not sure for KIS but I think I already had a router and DSL connection at that time. Of course I did not download bad files nor suppressed the AV to run cracks or stuff.

Backup regularly to a media that is offline and physically disconnected from any computer.
I have a really strong backup policy on my work PC with more than one layer of protection, was thinking to implement a Synology in RAID10 but sound like an overkill for just one PC, maybe it will be a topic for another thread. Im missing the imaging backup I'll try Macrium before the end of the month.

Reactions: shmu26

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.