1TB HDD

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@SeriousHoax :
  • Set UAC to Always Notify and enable Device Security -> SmartScreen.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and HitManPro Free.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may a VPN service.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
@SeriousHoax :
  • Set UAC to Always Notify and enable Device Security -> SmartScreen.
  • As for "Disk Imaging Backup", You may add Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably.
  • Consider also to run manual backups of important data to external devices.
  • As for "Virus and Malware Removal Tools", You may add: ZAM Free and HitManPro Free.
  • As for "Web Privacy", You may a VPN service.
Please kindly reflect Your changes editing Your config, and announcing them here, hanks for sharing :giggle:
WoW!!! Thanks. I've made the changes that you suggested and trying out the utilities. Now the configurations feels more secure :giggle:

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
Also, I would move Malware Free to Virus and Malware Removal Tools section, since Free version has no resident protection.

You may pair NoVirusThanks OSA in resident protection with Kaspersky Free, and also apply default tweaks of NoVirusThanks SysHardener, to hard the prevention in the system.

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Also, I would move Malware Free to Virus and Malware Removal Tools section, since Free version has no resident protection.

You may pair NoVirusThanks OSA in resident protection with Kaspersky Free, and also apply default tweaks of NoVirusThanks SysHardener, to hard the prevention in the system.
I moved Malwarebytes to removal section now. I never heard of NoVirusThanks before. I'm definitely gonna check this out now.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Both are Free and are a great companion with Kaspersky Free, since it has no Application Control (paid versions):

Thanks, I installed OSA. It seems like a good defense against Ransomware. Syshardener seems a bit more complicated so, I'm checking the forum for properly configuring it.

brod56

Level 15
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 13, 2017
I would consider removing most of your extensions. Most of them are doing very similar jobs and don't seem essential at all.
Other than that, pretty good and simple config.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
My advice:
  • Add Netcraft to web browser
  • Remove the following extensions (optional): ClearURLs & SkipRedirect - don't remove if you like having privacy extensions
  • Remember when adding too many extensions or software to a configuration that you are increasing your attack surface for malicious people too
  • Add Tinywall or Malwarebytes Windows Firewall Control as a compliment to better configure WF, Tinywall's file installation is also less than 2MB

Thanks for sharing, everything looks good from here, great addition in NVT OSA too!

~LDogg

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Thread author
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
Just curious to know how you configure/use µBO and µMatrix? :unsure:
I use uBO only to block ads, annoyances and Nano defender to get pass anti-adblockers. Also using NextDNS so ads are usually blocked at DNS level. Check it out if you haven't already. Brilliant project.
uMatrix for blocking scripts. I didn't change any default settings except unchecked clear browser cache every 60 minutes. I browse the internet normally then if a site requires enabling third party script, XHR, frames then I enable it for that site only and save it permanently. I think you use uBO in medium mode so you know how that works but uMatrix gives you more control as you can see and also easier to learn imo. I use Firefox with multi-account containers, temporary containers, cookie auto delete. The sites where I'm always logged on are in separate containers so no tracking can be done that's why for convenience I set uMatrix to globally allow disqus comment feature and embedded tweet. So basically that's it.
To uBO & uMatrix together, use uBO in default easy mode and do script, frame, etc blocking via uMatrix. Everything on uMatrix can be done via the UI. You'll never have to type any rule. They work perfectly fine together. I never had any problem.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.