Advice Request Shadow defender not commiting change in exclusive folder

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

kingofring

Thread author
Jun 29, 2020
i am using visual studio, and i have my project folders in exclusive folder from being on shadowed mode.
but when i do some changes on my porject , and after a restart my project not been saved and there some strange files being appeared in my project folder(check IMAG)

these strange files can be opened using notpad and it contains my codes from my project,, any solution ??

PLUS : if this helps more,, when i shut down my pc and boot again, my C drive doesnt comes back to last time been shadowed ( i mean like all changes been commited)
but only and only i restart my pc = all changes gone .. i dont know if shadow must be restarted to get pc to the last shadowed mode or not .. thats not happned on my win 7 OS,
now i am using win 10 ..

any solution ?

aa.png

Reactions: Cortex

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Maybe....
Q : Why Shadow Mode works only if I restart the computer, If I shut down the computer, all changes remain after reboot.
Fast startup is turned on by default in Windows 8/10. When it is turned on, Windows will take hibernation instead of shut down, so after reboot all changes will remain. To discard all changes made in shadow mode after shut down, please disable fast startup.
-
http://www.shadowdefender.com/help.html > Frequently Asked Questions

Last edited:

kingofring

Thread author
Jun 29, 2020
Maybe....
Q : Why Shadow Mode works only if I restart the computer, If I shut down the computer, all changes remain after reboot.
Fast startup is turned on by default in Windows 8/10. When it is turned on, Windows will take hibernation instead of shut down, so after reboot all changes will remain. To discard all changes made in shadow mode after shut down, please disable fast startup.
-
http://www.shadowdefender.com/help.html > Frequently Asked Questions
ok thanks , i got it why changes being remain,, but what you mean by Maybe for first issue ?? do i need resintall and install again ? or this is wont help in win10

bjm_

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 17, 2015
Fast Startup Off was meant as a generic cure all re Windows 10. I'm not familiar with Visual Studio.
I do not use "File Exclusion List". On occasion, I'll employ context menu Commit by Shadow Defender.
IMO ... I agree with:
In my experience the only thing I would not recommend doing with SD, is trying to use 'file exclusion list', 'registry exclusion list', and 'commit now' from the SD's GUI. If you need to keep a file or folder, use the right click option on the menu 'Commit by Shadow Defender', it always works.
https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-unofficial-shadow-defender-support-thread.293075/page-237#post-2926865

Last edited:

kingofring

Thread author
Jun 29, 2020
Fast Startup Off was meant as a generic cure all re Windows 10. I'm not familiar with Visual Studio.
I do not use "File Exclusion List". On occasion, I'll employ context menu Commit by Shadow Defender.
IMO ... I agree with:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/the-unofficial-shadow-defender-support-thread.293075/page-237#post-2926865
i used once time commit button, and changes on my file are gone :) that why i came to exclusiv list,,,any way, my question and issue still not resolved about these strange files, are these because of shadow ?

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Hi @kingofring ...some mentions in your topic:
- data can't be protected in SM if they are shared with other locations that are out of virtualisation e.g. cloud synch services
- it's reasonable not to save important data...vide your project...in system disk - it should be rather used only for working system and apps
- if you are interested look at my SD review...some info could be useful

kingofring

Thread author
Jun 29, 2020
Hi @kingofring ...some mentions in your topic:
- data can't be protected in SM if they are shared with other locations that are out of virtualisation e.g. cloud synch services
- it's reasonable not to save important data...vide your project...in system disk - it should be rather used only for working system and apps
- if you are interested look at my SD review...some info could be useful

1- thats was not happening in my previous win 7, my all projects being saved correctly
2- these data (projects) not being shared with other locations like cloud etc, its just in a folder in DESKTOP with exclusive list in SD
2- i have a backup for my important data, but i need to do some changes in my projects sometime, so i need exclusive list in SM

- this issue not happened before even in my new os win10, its just began newly, i still not get why this happening and is it because of shadow defender or my visual studio , so i can fix it or find a solution, i already post in VS community, and they confirmed these strange files has nothing to do with visual studio, i should seek help from SD community ..

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
1- thats was not happening in my previous Windows 7, my all projects being saved correctly
So?....with SD on Win7 there was not such issue and on Win10 we have one...conclusion can be like this - the reason is Win10 not SD
2- these data (projects) not being shared with other locations like cloud etc, its just in a folder in DESKTOP with exclusive list in SD
2- i have a backup for my important data, but i need to do some changes in my projects sometime, so i need exclusive list in SM
Desktop as an object (folder) is a part of system files so
- can be not only easly bypassed by malware ( alot of attacs by this way)...
- but also can be quite easy modified without user intervention like sync technologies what is also an option of Windows 10 and a separate mechanism to login system using MS account.
Keeping privat and important data on no-system disk is not a quirk but the good security practis. Storing data on other local disk is the easiest way to resolve your problem. Second way - you can try change write cache in SD option and switch to RAM and than observe effects.
At the end...Win10 with continous updates/patches is the most unstable OS I know...it's like some building in the state of neverending renovation. Is not easy to developers to follow all changes that in short time undergo next changes.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.