Troubleshoot Shoud I Invest on new Cpu or Laptop??

SUPRA

Level 3
Thread author
Verified
Nov 26, 2016
So as we all come to know about the biggest flaws spectra and meltdown on Intel processor is it good time to buy latest Gen processor or laptop with latest 8th gen processor in it share your thoughts.

Thank You

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
The reason some of the best and brightest recommend Chromebooks are because of very valid reasons relating to threat surface, attack vectors and vulnerabilities. There is no expert in the world that disputes that fact - none.
I didn't dispute it either. I am just saying your rampage against Windows is (1) OT for this thread, (2) FUD and (3) OT shilling for Chromebook.

Now I am done with this OT sidetrack and will no longer keep this topic from the OP. I would, once again, urge you to do the same.

Upvote 0

The reason some of the best and brightest recommend Chromebooks are because of very valid reasons relating to threat surface, attack vectors and vulnerabilities. There is no expert in the world that disputes that fact - none. Since Chromebooks are a distributed opensource OS nobody profits by recommending it. It's nothing new that Windows is the most insecure OS in the world, that's old news. It's also the only OS in the world that needs security products like antivirus software. This is for a reason, it's largely a spaghetti code kludge OS designed with security as an afterthought.

Exactly.

Average Joe - meaning the average person whose system sits behind a NAT router, mostly uses a browser to simply surf the net for infos, watches an occasional YouTube video, participate on forums, occasionally checks their bank account, occasionally needs a document\PDF\productivity suite, does school work, saves documents to a flashdrive, doesn't use public wifi or doesn't use it much, doesn't do high-risk online stuff, etc - is much better served by Chromebook.

If they are a high-risk user, then nothing can save them, so it doesn't matter what they use. They will get themselves into some sort of trouble.

For gamers, geeks, customizers, and those that need a system for professional purposes there is Windows and Linux - not to mention the specialized OSes for very specific purposes.

Chromebook has the plus of the user being able to install a VPN on it - for the public wifi use.

I just wish Google would clean up its Store and disable the Android Apps by default. Those are the two huge security holes. Ignorant Average Joe will easily hang himself with those two.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943
Upvote 0

So as we all come to know about the biggest flaws spectra and meltdown on Intel processor is it good time to buy latest Gen processor or laptop with latest 8th gen processor in it share your thoughts.

Thank You

I would wait until the dust settles and the real facts emerge. Right now everything is still in the hysteria stage and clouded by seemingly contradictory reports. That process of getting clarity and accuracy takes time - like months.

What if some new, yet undiscovered bad vulnerability in Intel 8th generation processors is announced the day after your return privilege expires on your newly purchased CPU or laptop ? What then ? There is always that risk.

Reactions: ForgottenSeer 58943
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

ForgottenSeer 58943 try zhp cleaner!its better than Malwarebytes! Download ZHPCleaner - MajorGeeks

Thanks. I will try it Monday. I actually ran out of time cleaning it. Super AntiSpyware also found a trojan on it, can you believe that??? Apparently it can find stuff other than cookies. :D It's horrendous how badly some Windows boxes can get infected. It always seems to cascade.

Preferably I would wipe it, but anyone that knows corporate environments knows that would entail a billable on-site visit and extensive downtime, working with third party vendors for re-installation of some programs, etc.. I sure miss Powerwash in these cases, eh?

Upvote 0

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
ForgottenSeer 58943 try zhp cleaner!its better than Malwarebytes! Download ZHPCleaner - MajorGeeks
It's not better than Malwarebytes and the last time I used it, it has critical issues, as you can see in my thread about it at Wilders.
ZHPCleaner, adware removal tool - use with caution

I just ran the latest version and it needed to shutdown Firefox before it would even run a scan. I did not have a look at the scan results to see what was found. I just terminated the ZHPCleaner task from Task Manager, as I would be very unhappy if it deleted any of the various PUPs I have installed on my system.

Upvote 0

Digerati

Level 7
Verified
Well-known
Mar 2, 2017
ForgottenSeer 58943 try zhp cleaner!
As noted earlier, the Windows patch requires antimalware solutions to set a specific Registry key in order for the Windows updates to work. This is NOT Microsoft pushing their way - it is just the patch is not effective otherwise. Google is maintaining a list of supportive anti-malware solutions here. As Google notes (their bold):

Note: Customers will not receive these security updates and will not be protected from security vulnerabilities unless their anti-virus software vendor sets the following registry key:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4072699/important-information-regarding-the-windows-security-updates-released
As of Jan 11, ZHP Cleaner is not listed.

Reactions: Handsome Recluse
Upvote 0
F

ForgottenSeer 58943

I have no clue What are you talking about?

On-Demand removal tools work regardless of the switch, the switch is for installed, on-access AV products. I think he was saying Zhp wouldn't work or might be a problem because it's not listed on that silly document. It wouldn't be listed anyway, that would be like saying EEK would need to be on it - it doesn't. Also that list isn't properly maintained, I've emailed him directly about a few errors and additions and he didn't fix the list. So it's not the gospel by any sense, but again, it doesn't apply to adware removal tools anyway.

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.