Advice Request Should a security geek go for privacy or security?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Without security, there is also no privacy, the two things go hand in hand.
Without privacy there is no security at all. There is no point having an ultra long password (security) if it's traveling through the Internet without encryption (privacy). Privacy implies that you are in control of sharing your life and information with only those you want to share it with. I can have security cameras everywhere in my home that are monitored by a security company, but that intrusion of my privacy makes me feel less secure. I think all security should be designed around the philosophy of respecting or strengthening privacy. I think most people do not feel secure unless they have privacy first.

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Without privacy there is no security at all. There is no point having an ultra long password (security) if it's traveling through the Internet without encryption (privacy). Privacy implies that you are in control of sharing your life and information with only those you want to share it with. I can have security cameras everywhere in my home that are monitored by a security company, but that intrusion of my privacy makes me feel less secure. I think all security should be designed around the philosophy of respecting or strengthening privacy. I think most people do not feel secure unless they have privacy first.
You should have set up your security camera system so that you are monitoring your home instead of letting the security company do it.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
Hard to see so many people say bad things about privacy nowadays.
Here a related thread:

Privacy isn't over. It just works differently since past

The only reason i started to prefer security over privacy in recent years is that more along the lines of that software, services and products have started to need another person in your friends-/family circle that uses that exact same thing. And it's only getting more and more exclusive and yes there are alternatives open-source or otherwise, but you'd still need people you know to use those named things.

Which for most people regardless of opinion is the biggest obstacle. To get more people in your circle of friends, family or colleagues to use those programs and services as well. Take WhatsApp for example, it has plenty of good privacy and more secure alternatives, but to get the majority of your contacts to switch as well is a problem. Don't get me wrong i am pro-privacy, but with my circle of friends and co. it's just becoming more difficult to get people informed and convinced to switch to a more privacy-friendly solution, from which the security could be on-par or better. Especially if their individual uses is solely exclusive to one or two platforms.

Cortex

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 4, 2016
I was thinking the other day about real life & just the last few years, many people I worked with know an awful lot about me, where I live the car I drive, how many children/grandchildren, my holidays & much more - Some have visited my house, they know where my other half works, lots know my personality, opinions, whether I can be trusted or not just through working with people, together an awful that of info that can't be stopped & I don't mind at all, it don't hurt me - Also on the road I live on most know a fair bit about me, especially my near neighbours, not only don't I mind it I like some of it - In addition not including other jobs I've had & places I've lived - Privacy is an illusion on here & in life?

Jan Willy

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 5, 2019
I was thinking the other day about real life & just the last few years, many people I worked with know an awful lot about me, where I live the car I drive, how many children/grandchildren, my holidays & much more - Some have visited my house, they know where my other half works, lots know my personality, opinions, whether I can be trusted or not just through working with people, together an awful that of info that can't be stopped & I don't mind at all, it don't hurt me - Also on the road I live on most know a fair bit about me, especially my near neighbours, not only don't I mind it I like some of it - In addition not including other jobs I've had & places I've lived - Privacy is an illusion on here & in life?
What worries me is that the big companies (constantly and hardly unavoidable) are tracking me: Amazon, Apple, Facebook, Google, Microsoft etc. Not that you or other private individuals know some personal data.

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
If you know your neighbor is spying on you then take action by confronting him/her and, if it fails, then approach the authority to do so properly
Although a sound advice, it won't change anything because 30% of Dutch cops are ill or not capable of working (article in Dutch). This article publishes the findings of an official Dutch governmental body (Algemene Rekenkamer), also the newspaper is a Dutch quality news paper (it played a role in the 'Pananama papers' for example), so factual data, no hear say.

Dutch police has gotten a lot of money to reduce bureaucracy and the amount of administrative work, sadly the project to align processes and integrate IT-systems failed miserably (again, not the first time). So police officers spend hours on justifying what they did (spreadsheet management to justify budget overruns) and typing over data from one system into another (at two finger typing speed typing).

I better call my cousin Tony. Tony is half Italian 😉 🤗

Last edited:

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.