Advice Request Should I bite the bullet? Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
you must utilize your free upgrade rights, if you have them, before the deadline.
in other words, you have to perform the upgrade (or fresh install, as you wish). There is no product key that you can just put in your pocket and use later, it doesn't work that way.
I don't know about trial win7

N31R

Level 1
Verified
Jul 25, 2016
I bit the bullet back when Windows 10 was released and got bitten back. :D I had terrible stutter due to high DPC from Intel LAN drivers (on clean install too):
Capture3.PNG
(yup, 680 millisecond system stutter, sound/video/mouse all freeze during that time)
Currently running 8.1 without issues, but plan on installing the Anniversary update when it comes out. Hopefully the DPC issue is resolved.
So definitely backup before upgrading.

JakeXPMan

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 20, 2014
I am not sure of the drivers on my legit laptop OEM windows 7 pro. I dunno if an OEM can be re-installed after an upgrade to 10 then back to 7.

I dont really have a backup working.

My desktop has its factory Image of 7 Home SP1 and its also OEM, and seems to run perfect... I dont know if I want 10 ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
In
I am not sure of the drivers on my legit laptop OEM windows 7 pro. I dunno if an OEM can be re-installed after an upgrade to 10 then back to 7.

I dont really have a backup working.

My desktop has its factory Image of 7 Home SP1 and its also OEM, and seems to run perfect... I dont know if I want 10 ;)
a situation like this, after win10 has been out for this long, i would not upgrade if it is something you are still on the fence about.
**I think after the free period you also loose the ability to revert back, I could be wrong though.
Only upgrade at this point if your 100% certain you want it, because your going to be stuck with it.
** I know what MS rollback policy is, but on some of the Windows 10 forums I frequent users are already finding it very hard to revert back like promised.

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
I know what MS rollback policy is, but on some of the Windows 10 forums I frequent users are already finding it very hard to revert back like promised.
what kind of problems are they having?
true, doing the official rollback is not guaranteed to work %100, just as the upgrade itself is fraught with dangers.
But if you made your own system image, are there still problems?

Last edited:

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
@shmu26
Not with your own lmage, but you may run into re-activation issues, as well
as issues rolling back without a good backup image.
Microsoft pushs hard for people to upgrade, almost forcing the issue, from this point on they are not expected to make it easy to go back, that's the last thing they want

Last edited:

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
@shmu26
Not with your own lmage, but you may run into re-activation issues, as well
as issues rolling back without a good backup image.
Microsoft pushs hard for people to upgrade, almost forcing the issue, from this point on they are not expected to make it easy to go back, that's the last thing they want
thanks for the heads up . that is important to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.