Advice Request Should I bite the bullet? Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Here are the things you should know.

1) If your computer performs mediocre in performance then don't bother any plan to upgrade for Windows 10 because optimization may only increase very minimal. (I observe on some systems last week)

2) If your drivers are not compatible and try to bypass, then expect issues once you upgrade to Windows 10.

3) If you are not willing to upgrade because on some numerous reasons then better steer away.

---------------------

The analogies of Windows 10 upgrade process is tend to be predictable.

Aura

Level 20
Verified
Jul 29, 2014
You won't lose anything if you choose the option to keep your data during the upgrade.

Also, there's no real reason not to upgrade. You'll end up with the newest version of Windows, with more features, enhanced security and better support than the current one you're using.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I was considering doing the upgrade but wanted to see if anyone has a "guide" as to what I should disable (tracking/features/services).

If anyone can help me out with that, please let me know. :)
O&O Shutup is a good anti-telemetry tool for Windows 10, it has visual icon whether it's recommended to disable or not.

Be aware enabling all options may render some features unusable. For ex: "Please contact your administrator".

I recommend to not use these tools immediately and wait for the system to download any pending updates to avoid possibility of system corruption.

Windows 10 Anniversary Update has a planned release for August, 2nd.

If you (and many others) are paranoid about Cortana and personalisation features, you can disable them in the Settings > Privacy. Simply toggle off, just like any smartphone OS (ie. iOS and Android). It's not complicated to disable access to devices.

If you (or plan to) have multiple computers running Windows 10 on YOUR home network, you can use your current PCs bandwidth to upload the updates to YOUR other computers.

I recommend using 'PCs on my local network' only and you can find out how here, How to Stop Windows 10 From Uploading Updates to Other PCs Over the Internet

Edit: Look up Black Viper for Windows and as advised do not use msconfig.

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
O&O Shutup is a good anti-telemetry tool for Windows 10, it has visual icon whether it's recommended to disable or not.

Be aware enabling all options may render some features unusable. For ex: "Please contact your administrator".

I recommend to not use these tools immediately and wait for the system to download any pending updates to avoid possibility of system corruption.

If you (and many others) are paranoid about Cortana and personalisation features, you can disable them in the Settings > Privacy. Simply toggle off, just like any smartphone OS (ie. iOS and Android). It's not complicated to disable access to devices.

If you (or plan to) have multiple computers running Windows 10 on YOUR home network, you can use your current PCs bandwidth to upload the updates to YOUR other computers.

I recommend using 'PCs on my local network' only and you can find out how here, How to Stop Windows 10 From Uploading Updates to Other PCs Over the Internet
Excellent Post @Huracan :)

Smoke

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014

Edit: Look up Black Viper for Windows and as advised do not use msconfig.

Appreciate the info, will definitely look into them. Now I just need to figure out how to get the update notification thingy to pop back up (disabled it months ago).

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Appreciate the info, will definitely look into them. Now I just need to figure out how to get the update notification thingy to pop back up (disabled it months ago).
How to update to windows 10
To update Windows 7, go to Start > Control Panel > System and Security >Windows Update.
To update Windows 8 or Windows 8.1, go to Start > PC Settings > Update and recovery > Windows Update

H

hjlbx

I suggest you don't wait until the very last moment. You need a few days to evaluate W10 on your system. In case of a serious problem you might have to roll back. I've had to assist someone to rollback to W8.1 because W10 was incompatible with their system - despite the OEM giving their system the "All-Clear" for the W10 Upgrade.

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
Windows 10 better, as all Windows versions previously.
  • Backup for Firefox - Pale moon Browser and Thunderbird-Postbox=Mozbackup
  • Windows and Program Keys backup= Windows Product Key Viewer -Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder-Advanced Tokens Manager 3.5 RC5
    Windows 10 License key after upgrade exta backing up, for the Emergency and Clean install.
  • O&O Shutup for anti-telemetry
Who always yet Fear before Data spy has, can Windows and Linux Parallel install;)

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Windows 10 better, as all Windows versions previously.
  • Backup for Firefox - Pale moon Browser and Thunderbird-Postbox=Mozbackup
  • Windows and Program Keys backup= Windows Product Key Viewer -Magical Jelly Bean Keyfinder-Advanced Tokens Manager 3.5 RC5
    Windows 10 License key after upgrade exta backing up, for the Emergency and Clean install.
  • O&O Shutup for anti-telemetry
Who always yet Fear before Data spy has, can Windows and Linux Parallel install;)

No offense in any way but the "spying" everyone is freaking out about doesn't exist and even though their is data collection for certain things. Doesn't truly mean the fear that people are bringing.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Computer says no. Getting annoyed now, lol
5UFzBqw.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: King Alpha

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
If thatthat doesn't work you can always use the media creation tool. Pretty sure there is a way to update using that tool without even mailing ISO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.