Advice Request Should I bite the bullet? Upgrading Windows 8.1 to Windows 10?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I killed it dead with GWX Control Panel and now I can't find any update files
Does this help?...

I HAVE USED GWX CONTROL PANEL IN THE PAST BUT NOW I'M READY TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
You have a few different options depending on how you've used GWX Control Panel and how you'd like to perform your upgrade.

If you've only used GWX Control Panel to Disable the 'Get Windows 10' app and Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Upgrades:

Both of these features are easily reversible. Just click Enable 'Get Windows 10' app to bring the icon back and click Allow Windows 10 Upgrades to enable Windows 10 services in Windows Update. (You might also want to click Enable Non-critical Windows 10 Settings if that is available.) Now you can click the Get Windows 10 app to begin the upgrade process. Alternatively, if you do a fresh Check for updates in Windows Update after re-enabling these features, you might find theUpgrade to Windows 10 patch available as an installable option (not everyone sees this option; I don't know why).

If you have already used the Delete Windows 10 Download Folders or Delete Windows 10 Programs features:

Since these features delete files, you need to take an extra step or two to upgrade to Windows 10. First, make sure to click Allow Windows 10 Upgrades in GWX Control Panel to enable Windows 10 services in Windows Update. After that you have two options:
  1. Use Microsoft's Windows 10 Media Creation Tool to download and install Windows 10. (Please see that linked page for instructions.)
    -or-
  2. Open the Programs and Features control panel and click View installed updates. In the search box in the upper-right of the window, enter: kb3035583 It might take Windows a few seconds to perform the search. Eventually you should see an entry labeled "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)". Select this entry and then click Uninstall. (See screenshot below.)After Windows uninstalls the update, open up your Windows Update control panel and click Check for updates. Wait for Windows Update to check for new updates. This can take a while depending on your computer and how busy Microsoft's update servers are. Once the search is complete, Windows should return with a message like "Install updates for your computer," and will probably also say at least 1 important update is available. Click the "important update available" link to confirm KB3035583 is one of the available updates. (If you don't see KB3035583 listed, you might have to go back to the main Windows Update screen and click Restore hidden updates to un-hide KB3035583. Once you're able to see and select that update, click OK or Install updates, depending on which screen you're on. Once the update is complete, if you don't see Microsoft's Get Windows 10 icon right away, try restarting Windows. If it still doesn't appear make sure you don't have it disabled in GWX Control Panel. Once you can see the icon you can follow the instructions in the first part of this answer.

ElectricSheep

Level 14
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 31, 2014
Does this help?...

I HAVE USED GWX CONTROL PANEL IN THE PAST BUT NOW I'M READY TO UPGRADE TO WINDOWS 10. WHAT DO I HAVE TO DO?
You have a few different options depending on how you've used GWX Control Panel and how you'd like to perform your upgrade.

If you've only used GWX Control Panel to Disable the 'Get Windows 10' app and Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Upgrades:

Both of these features are easily reversible. Just click Enable 'Get Windows 10' app to bring the icon back and click Allow Windows 10 Upgrades to enable Windows 10 services in Windows Update. (You might also want to click Enable Non-critical Windows 10 Settings if that is available.) Now you can click the Get Windows 10 app to begin the upgrade process. Alternatively, if you do a fresh Check for updates in Windows Update after re-enabling these features, you might find theUpgrade to Windows 10 patch available as an installable option (not everyone sees this option; I don't know why).

If you have already used the Delete Windows 10 Download Folders or Delete Windows 10 Programs features:

Since these features delete files, you need to take an extra step or two to upgrade to Windows 10. First, make sure to click Allow Windows 10 Upgrades in GWX Control Panel to enable Windows 10 services in Windows Update. After that you have two options:

• Open the Programs and Features control panel and click View installed updates. In the search box in the upper-right of the window, enter: kb3035583 It might take Windows a few seconds to perform the search. Eventually you should see an entry labeled "Update for Microsoft Windows (KB3035583)". Select this entry and then click Uninstall. (See screenshot below.)After Windows uninstalls the update, open up your Windows Update control panel and click Check for updates. Wait for Windows Update to check for new updates. This can take a while depending on your computer and how busy Microsoft's update servers are. Once the search is complete, Windows should return with a message like "Install updates for your computer," and will probably also say at least 1 important update is available. Click the "important update available" link to confirm KB3035583 is one of the available updates. (If you don't see KB3035583 listed, you might have to go back to the main Windows Update screen and click Restore hidden updates to un-hide KB3035583. Once you're able to see and select that update, click OK or Install updates, depending on which screen you're on. Once the update is complete, if you don't see Microsoft's Get Windows 10 icon right away, try restarting Windows. If it still doesn't appear make sure you don't have it disabled in GWX Control Panel. Once you can see the icon you can follow the instructions in the first part of this answer.
Think its working, cheers! Used the Media Creation thing :cool:

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I killed it dead with GWX Control Panel and now I can't find any update files
Don't use Windows Update, use either of the following links:
How to Upgrade to Windows 10 - Microsoft, or download Windows 10 ISO and run from desktop - for Upgrade.

When you download the Media Creation Tool it will download the ISO, but as it's an Upgrade, you need to run from your existing Windows OS. It start the process, make a coffee and watch a movie.

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Steps to safeguard your PC future:

-Create an image of your current setup with your favorite software of choice.(I can confirm Redo works wonderfully with every Windows version)

-Run that Media Creation Tool and upgrade

-Once that everything's in place and working,proceed to image your Win10 setup.

That way you cover all bases:If you have a manufactured computer(HP,Dell..etc),you copy your current setup and it's restore partitions.

-You have Win10 free....for life.(for that specific PC,of course)

-If you come across technical difficulties,you have 2 restore options:

upload_2016-7-28_7-33-24.png

--Use "Reset PC" for a full Win10 restore.

--You can still use your manufactured restore partitions to restore your PC.Remember though....You will revert to your previous installed OS(Windows 8, in your case)

You literally have nothing to lose.But time's running out.....

PD:Also,if you have a manufactured PC and you update to Win10,it's exclusive to that PC.I did the exercise with 2 HP 3500...One with Win 7 and the other Win10.I used a Win10 image on the Win7 one...It detected the "trick"...( :eek: ) and will ask you for a serial key.(It's logical...but I was curious)

Good luck.

EDIT:....You already took the plunge.Glad it's all working out.....:D

Last edited:

Xtwillight

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Jul 1, 2014
No offense in any way but the "spying" everyone is freaking out about doesn't exist and even though their is data collection for certain things. Doesn't truly mean the fear that people are bringing.

1)That's right what you write.
2)But that's not her fault the user! But people the telemetry Analyzed data,
and not displayed correctly have. saw only the traffic but did know Why and for what.
3)The hysteria because Windows 10 and spy is not the fault the PC user,
that was Hobby analysts and offline / online Media and and Microsoft statements.

Windows 10 is better as all other Windows Versions before.
sorry my English ist not Good.

CPM / MSX / MSDOS /DR.DOS / Atari GEM/TOS /Amiga OS / Windows 1.0 -Windows 10/
IBM OS 2/ Trisquel GNU/Linux

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Honestly I like some typical user who just upgrade Windows 10 without being conscious on privacy issues, it is already part for the program to have certain information.

So overall it just leave with a little mess and claim Windows 10 as a big stinks because of privacy problems; why not look for larger outlook?

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
Honestly I like some typical user who just upgrade Windows 10 without being conscious on privacy issues, it is already part for the program to have certain information.

So overall it just leave with a little mess and claim Windows 10 as a big stinks because of privacy problems; why not look for larger outlook?
I use OOSU10, SpybotAntiBeacon, Windows Privacy Tweaker to disable some telemetry stuff.
Other good programs recommended ?
(I don't use W10Privacy because reported by some of my Security tools)

Last edited:

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
I use OOSU10, SpybotAntiBeacon, Windows Privacy Tweaker to disable some telemetry stuff.
Other good program ?
I use OOSU 10 as well....IMO it is the best anti-telemetry soft..I found "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" to be good also..
OOSU 10 is very thorough,although for those that want to minimise telemetry further I would recommend the killing of various M$ services through your firewall.;)

DardiM

Level 26
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
May 14, 2016
I use OOSU 10 as well....IMO it is the best anti-telemetry soft..I found "Destroy Windows 10 Spying" to be good also..
OOSU 10 is very thorough,although for those that want to minimise telemetry further I would recommend the killing of various M$ services through your firewall.;)

Just used, thanks :)

Logethica

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Just used, thanks :)
Cool :)

For those that find that upgrading to Windows 10 proves to be heavy on their system,or those that wish to reduce telemetry through their firewall,I did/do the following:
(EDIT: I do not recommend these actions to "Basic knowledge" users)

I used a combination of CCleaner and the SUPERDelete tool of SuperAntiSpyware to first remove unneeded MS components...
Then O&O Shut Up 10 to block much of the remaining telemetry...
Then in ZoneAlarm Free Firewall:
a) Blocked specific MS IPs in the "View Zones" section.
b) Killed various MS services through "Application Control" such as:
Data Sharing service Maintenance Driver
Disk Defragmenter Module (As I use Auslogics Defrag as Default)
Disk Space Clean up Manager
Microsoft Feedback SIUF Deployment Manager Client
Microsoft Help and Support
Microsoft Sync Center
Search and Cortana Application
Windows Remote Assistance COM Server
............I have experienced No Negative effects from doing the above (over 3 Months ago)

I also temporarily deny OS Updates for 72 Hours while I check forums for "Borks".This involves the temporary blocking of:
Windows System Assessment Tool
Windows Installer
Windows Update
Windows Modules Installer
Windows Modules Installer Worker
......Again,No problems since doing so 3 months ago

It is also worth mentioning that "Google Analytics sender" is a semi-recent addition,and can also be killed through the firewall.

I will need to reassess my blocking once I have updated to the Anniversary edition,so if nobody else has posted their updated blocking strategies then I will post mine once I have updated.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.