Battle Should I buy MS Surface Book now?

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
Hi all,

I chanced upon a deal for new Surface Book (8GB RAM 500 GB SSD) for $2000 with keyboard and pen.
I know it's a 2015 October release, but it seems really good deal.
But!! Book 2 is releasing next month, not sure if I should wait or not..
Anyway, not sure of price as well.

So ya, seeking advice =)

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Is it worthwhile to buy the SB2? I think not and here's why

1) No TB3 port(s) means cannot connect to eGPU for 4K gaming on external 4K monitor
2) USB ports are 3.1
3) USB-C port is also 3.1
4) That ugly dust-collecting gap between kb and screen is still there when closed
5) MS said can charge the SB2 using external battery bank through its USB-C port. The question is where to find such a high-powered battery bank?
6) White-colored SB2 will slowly turn yellowish in use.
7) Super expensive for the 15-inch 512GB SSD 16GB RAM model. The 1TB SSD will be even more expensive.

Sooner or later MS will have to quit the market if it keeps on releasing surface products with legacy specs.

Last edited:

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
Is it worthwhile to buy the SB2? I think not and here's why

1) No TB3 port(s) means cannot connect to eGPU for 4K gaming on external 4K monitor
2) USB ports are 3.1
3) USB-C port is also 3.1
4) That ugly dust-collecting gap between kb and screen is still there when closed
5) MS said can charge the SB2 using external battery bank through its USB-C port. The question is where to find such a high-powered battery bank?
6) White-colored SB2 will slowly turn yellowish in use.
7) Super expensive for the 15-inch 512GB SSD 16GB RAM model. The 1TB SSD will be even more expensive.

Sooner or later MS will have to quit the market with the latest release of its surface products with legacy specs.

Wow you really nailed it! Yeah I agree, it's expensive and something just feels lacking.
Any recommendation for a 11"-13.3" 2-in-1 laptop?

regards

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
Thanks Everyone!
After much struggle, I'd decided to buy a Macbook (first time ever for me!).
Preowned MacBook Air 13" (2015 i7 8GB RAM 256GB) for $1k...

Hopefully i get used to it.
Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
Clean install everything and start over.

Reactions: vtqhtr413

vemn

Level 6
Thread author
Verified
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Feb 11, 2017
He payed for the Apple brand instead, which is also overpriced but with outdated hardware on top.

I got a Surface Pro from my company some time ago, and I like it quite honestly.
ERmm... Did i paid too much for it? :cry:
It was SGD 1000, which is USD $734.

L

Local Host

ERmm... Did i paid too much for it? :cry:
It was SGD 1000, which is USD $734.
Over here I can get the same model for around $400, it goes by market and availability.

I wouldn't pay more than $500 for it, then again the portable market has a bad performance/price ratio all around.

Alexhousek

Level 2
Verified
Aug 19, 2017
I got a Surface Pro from my company some time ago, and I like it quite honestly.

I concur. I got mine probably 2 years ago and I really like it. The hardest part for me is the screen size, but that's only because I'm 55 and I need readers to see the screen. But, I mostly keep it docked to my 25 inch screen. When I do take it to a meeting, it's easy enough to enlarge the screen and/or font size. Oh, and I do hate the built-in mouse pad; but, I hate all laptop built-in mouse pads...

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.