Advice Request Should I install this optional quality update preview for Windows 10 Version 20h2?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
Should I install this optional quality update preview for Windows 10 Version 20h2? Is this like beta update something?
ApplicationFrameHost_lP3n4tAZUR.png

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Well, given all the drama with these things, I ain't making any suggestions to install it or not.

But. I did install this back in February and have no issues to date. At the time, I was "missing" like 2.5 GB, even after disk cleanup. I deleted what I could from the Software Distribution folder in C:\Windows--that got me back my missing GBs.

Initially, I noticed no performance improvements on here. There are no security fixes either, just some bug fixes that appear specific to certain conditions. All-in-all: a non-experience. :sleep::whistle::coffee:

Same source as above: Bleeping Computer.

rain2reign

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jun 21, 2020
If it requires my manual approval regarding updates, like in the case of the optional updates. I always wait a week or two to a month's worth of time. And then evaluate whether any bugs were fixed, if there were any present. Or other things that make come down from specific drivers issues with it all the way to hardware etc, etc...

Just an old habit with Microsoft I developed given they need to make it work with over millions of different configurations... Chance is small, but just old habits i guess.

blackice

Level 39
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
Just installed it. We’ll see how it goes in the next week, never had many problems with updates other than the scheduled defrag/trim bug last summer. It did install at the same time as the new Microsoft Defender engine update...and that failed twice before taking. But, according to the about page that sorted itself already.

TairikuOkami

Level 36
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
May 13, 2017
Decided to leave preview updates, if it was serious it would be a standard update - As I'm not having any issues leaving things as they are?
Standard update = security update or scheduled update, quality update = bug fixes and such, thus the name, it improves the overall quality, but it is not required to be installed ASAP.

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
ahhhhh crap. idk if I want to install it. I don't want to waste 30 mins for restore.
You can skip it and wait for Patch Tuesday.

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.