Battle Should I switch from ESET to Kaspersky (and some questions)?

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016
Hello there,

I'm currently experimenting with ESET INTERNET SECURITY, but I feel l feel like Kaspersky is a bit better, so here are my questions:

1. I know this is unanswerable but I'll ask anyway :) - is KIS the best paid security you can get?

2. Which one is better in terms of protection - EIS or KIS?

3. Any threads about how to config KIS around here?

4. Any complementary software you would reccomend :)?

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
For questions 1 & 3 there are already threads in the forum, please do a research ;)

About question 2: better try both and the select the most suitable for Your system.

4.- For Kaspersky, a bit weak detecting PUP/PUA/AdWare, You may add some on demand scanners: MalwareBytes Free, AdwCleaner, ZAM Free.

RXZ6Q

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Mar 30, 2016

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
Both ESET and Kaspersky are excellent choices mate. You can't go wrong with any of them. Both have their pros and cons. ESET is the lightest AV I've used while still providing superb detection. The only con is that it doesn't have any BB and the HIPS is not good in automatic mode. Kaspersky is a bit heavier than ESET but it has some very useful features like Trusted Applications Mode and it's System Watcher is the best BB I've ever seen. But in the end it all depends on the user habits. Practice safe habits and you won't get infected with either of them. As for softwares to use alongside them, I'll recommend a good adblocker like AdGuard, a light virtualisation software like Sandboxie/Shadow Defender and SysHardener (a one time tool to harden your OS). Last but not the least ALWAYS keep a BACKUP. And no matter which one you choose - EIS/KIS learn to tweak it according to your needs

RoboMan

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Both are great software, I guess the choice relies on what type of user you are or what level of configuration you want to achieve. I'm gonna say, without a doubt, Kaspersky is a better suite. Mainly because System Watcher and Application Control. There are not much suites that include a default-deny-like module that will block unknown software (if correctly configured). So, long story short, yes, Kasperksy Internet Security may be the best current suite.

Here you have a quick configuration thread I did: Discuss - RoboMan's Light Kaspersky Settings

This will help you to lockdown your system without compromising performance.

You don't really have to complement it with any real-time software, since it's a suite and it works great alone. Nevertheless, aforementioned, you can add one or two on-demand scanners to have second opinions on malware, like Zemana Anti-Malware (portable), or ESET Online Scanner.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Both are good pieces of software. However I would look at all configuration(s) for 3 layers:

1. firewall
2. av suite/bb/anti-exe alongside web browser protection such as an adblocker with ScriptSafe
3. backup solution

Should be good from there,

~LDogg

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
1 Malware hub testing shows that Kaspersky is superior at blocking zero-day malware.
Independent testing shows that Kaspersky protection is consistently excellent.
Neither of the above can be said of ESET.

2 The simplest way to tweak Kaspersky is to enable Trusted Applications Mode. You may have to whitelist some of your software, but the wizard will help you do that.

3 If you run ESET in proactive mode, you will discover that it has a powerful HIPS. If you use ESET that way, it is an advanced protection tool. But it produces very many prompts, so it can wear you down.

4 Security is not everything. ESET is lighter, cheaper, and less likely to cause various conflicts and mess-ups.

Last edited by a moderator:

notabot

Level 15
Verified
Oct 31, 2018
Probably both are good suites but given Windows already comes with a good AV , good security mechanisms and can be hardened, I’d say the main question is what are you after ?

1) are you looking for a good default config that the AV vendor will maintain for you without a time investment from your side ?
2) are you after a specific feature that’s not present with Windows security tools ?

dash

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Dec 15, 2018
Why bother trying to secure Windows when you can Chromebook, just saying..
This, party of one, this..

Edited to remove "common sense", it has no place here.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
1 Malware hub testing shows that Kaspersky is superior at blocking zero-day malware.
Independent testing shows that Kaspersky protection is consistently excellent.
Neither of the above can be said of ESET.

2 The simplest way to tweak Kaspersky is to enable Trusted Applications Mode. You may have to whitelist some of your software, but the wizard will help you do that.

3 If you run ESET in proactive mode, you will discover that it has a powerful HIPS. If you use ESET that way, it is an advanced protection tool. But it produces very many prompts, so it can wear you down.

4 Security is not everything. ESET is lighter, cheaper, and less likely to cause various conflicts and mess-ups.
Good choice , you are in right way:)

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.