Advice Request Should I switch to Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I noticed:
- firefox only uses less memory than chrome if we open around 10 tabs or more. We usually open fewer tabs and in this case, chrome consumes less CPU and disk
- it has more CPU and disk usage than chrome after they complete loading pages and are in idle for 30s -> this can be the reason why I don't want to use it
- it might be slightly smoother than chrome, not very significant. Loading time is quite similar
- the UI is not as simple and optimized as chrome, especially when we open many tabs
- the text appears not as clear as in chrome, can be fixed by an extension
- the default malware filter is not as good as google chrome, although I heard they use the same google safe browsing API but for some reasons, it's still a bit less effective

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
Workaround from Reddit makes font to look like it's on Chrome but then it's blurry on some websites. :confused:
that's why I ditched firefox. Its font rendering is even worse than IE. Just hate the broken fonts
perhaps, the lack of proper font rendering makes firefox slightly faster than chrome

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I really like new Firefox and I'd like to use it as my primary web browser. I don't even mind higher RAM usage because it works smooth and it is faster than Chrome (at least, in my case). The only thing I miss is website translate in context menu but I guess that can be fixed with extensions. The bad font rendering is huge minus and it's literally the only thing that keeps me on Chrome. :confused:

F

ForgottenSeer 55474

Hello I am not leaving Chrome because of the new Firefox,I had installed new beta versions(for firefox 57)when there was one, so it is not new to me, but I think Mozilla has made a very nice Browser, and I have it installed, and I also use it from time to time.
But my preferred browser is Google Chrome(Pale Moon as nr 2), and it stays that way.;)

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I think its enabled in your PC by default, my PC has 4 GB Ram so it was disabled there. You can change settings on Options>General>Performance, untick recommended settings and change content process limit higher if its only set at 1. I changed mine to 7, the maximum available for me, I think more than 7 is available for better PCs.
If you have higher content process limit already, tick back recommended settings
Are you sure something else isn't disabling multi-process?

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Are you sure something else isn't disabling multi-process?
I read somewhere that multi process is disabled in PCs with less memory. I had to enable it from about:config and toogle a setting because it was greyed out(if thats the word) in options. That was in beta version though, not sure how it is in stable one.

Handsome Recluse

Level 23
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Nov 17, 2016
I read somewhere that multi process is disabled in PCs with less memory. I had to enable it from about:config and toogle a setting because it was greyed out(if thats the word) in options. That was in beta version though, not sure how it is in stable one.
I think it's better to reset multiprocess settings, restart and check about:support because plenty have 4 GB

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
I think it's better to reset multiprocess settings, restart and check about:support because plenty have 4 GB
Tried that with beta and multi process stayed at 1 for me.
It might be because it was beta I tried and its a different case with stable, not sure.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.