Advice Request Should I switch to Firefox?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
So at late, I see that Firefox is starting to include more options that I am starting to feel that would be useful:

Stop canvas fingerprinting
Tracking Protection features

So is it time to jump ship yet? Also the fact that there is a portable version also appeal to me as well.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
None of my drives now are allowed to have "google" or their products on them :p
I have used FF form damn near the very start, it has been a rough road, but I love
what the FF team and Mozilla stand for.
Great decision Daniel. Let us know how it works out for you.

Danielx64

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I have used FF form damn near the very start, it has been a rough road, but I love
Well a few days in and I needed some extras (flash player, IDM, Sticky Passwords S3.Translator – Add-ons for Firefox) But nothing too serious. Maybe it just me but it feels faster and I didn't even need to download a dark theme ether.

So that mean that you refuse to use gmail.com or google.com?

frogboy

In memoriam 1961-2018
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jun 9, 2013
Ditto from me for the Google thing Buddy. :eek:(y)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
So that mean that you refuse to use gmail.com or google.com?
Gmail is used for my phone only, and no I use the Duck for searches ect, I do go to Youtube some as well, but no google or related products are installed on any of my drives and Process Lasso keeps it hammered if it does get on somehow :)
I will give my Gmail out to folks I really do not want to communicate with lol

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
Maybe you had other programs or addons which disabled it.
I can't see why the addons and programs I've installed would do that though. Only extension I immediately installed was ublock origin, it shouldn't do something like that. Firefox being the beta version, less RAM or bugs. Only valid reasons I can think of.

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
I have run into a problem with Firefox. I have both Adguard and Bitdefender on the machine, both scanning SSL connection. Firefox is not recognizing either certificate forcing me to add an exception to every https page I visit. Now this is not happenning on Chrome or any other browser I tested. Did anyone else see this behavior?

mlnevese

Level 26
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 3, 2015
2017-11-16.png

Here is an example of the problem I'm having...

Evjl's Rain

Level 47
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Hunter
Apr 18, 2016
I just did a quick test between SlimJet x64 and Firefox 57 x64 with only 2 exact same extensions enabled on both browsers (ublock & enhancer for youtube)
20 tabs were opened simultaneously, felt like slimjet was a bit faster and smoother. Caches were stored in RAMdrive in both browsers
surprisingly, memory usage were identical, I counted the numbers from task manager so there was no bias or miscalculation, pagefile was disabled so no virtual memory usage
Capture.PNG

Slimjet >> firefox quantum. I can see no advantage from firefox, fewer extensions, same memory usage, higher CPU and disk usage, terrible looking fonts
if I use slimjet x86, the memory usage would be even less

Last edited:

Marko :)

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 12, 2015
I wish that there was a normal, clean, Chromium based browser without Google or anything bundled. I know for Chromium, but I heard it's not stable and besides that, it doesn't have auto update so I'd have to constantly update it manually.

Chrome has it's pros and cons. It's great web browser because it's fast, secure and stable. Google is very fast at fixing bugs and vulnerability when found so that's another plus. And all websites work in it without any problems. Google's integration into Chrome is very huge minus.
Other Chromium browsers are not that great, for example, take a look what How-To Geek said about Comodo Dragon and SRWare Iron.
Opera is good, although it's not that fast like Chrome and Firefox (at least in my case, every website takes few seconds more to load than on Chrome and Firefox). Vivaldi has weird UI which I don't like and it has a ton of options so it'll took me a century to configure browser after reinstallation.

Firefox is awesome and it's my favorite browser now. I haven't used it before because it was terrible. It used to constantly freeze while loading two tabs at same time or when website had a lot of scripts. Version 57 is great and it's fast as Chrome (if not faster). However, its font rendering is the worst and it's the only thing why I don't use it. I tried messing with font rendering in about:config and it works, font is like in Chrome, but then is blurry.

With all that said, I'm on Chrome for now. I'll have to continue using it until Firefox fixes font or, at least until any font-fixing addon becomes compatible with Firefox Quantum. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.