Should I Upgrade now or wait?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

illumination

@exterminator20 , @illumination I have a OEM machine, I want to upgrade to W 10. What should i choose upgrade or create installation media? If I create installation media can I upgrade and in future make a clean install?
You need to upgrade first to switch your current license to windows 10, then you can do a clean install. I upgraded and did a reset after doing so choosing "Remove Everything", which is basically a clean install.

Reactions: XhenEd and frogboy

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
C
You need to upgrade first to switch your current license to windows 10, then you can do a clean install. I upgraded and did a reset after doing so choosing "Remove Everything", which is basically a clean install.
Should I download the same windows installation media and select create installation media again after the upgrade

I

illumination

Reactions: frogboy and XhenEd

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
You can either use the tool provided by microsoft to down load the media "after the upgrade" and do a clean install, or use the method i mentioned of just resetting it after the upgrade and removing everything for a clean install.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10
should will it ask for a media during the reset? I have seen in this forum that if we download windows 10 and later run setup.exe will i be able to get the upgrade? and then reset?

I

illumination

should will it ask for a media during the reset? I have seen in this forum that if we download windows 10 and later run setup.exe will i be able to get the upgrade? and then reset?
If windows 10 is downloaded to your system and ready to install you will see it in your windows updates listed as such. Once you have upgraded, and decided to reset, you will not need media, you will just need to click settings, update & security, then recovery, then click reset this PC, it will then give you 3 options

Keep my files:
This reinstalls Windows 10, but keeps your personal files and any apps that came with your PC. It removes:
  • Changes you made to settings

• Apps and drivers you installed

Remove everything:
This reinstalls Windows 10 and any apps that came with your PC. It removes:
  • Personal files

If you're planning to donate, recycle, or sell your PC, use this option and choose to fully clean the drive. This might take an hour or two, but it makes it harder for other people to recover files you've removed.

Restore factory settings:
This reinstalls the version of Windows that came on your PC and any apps that came with it. It removes:
  • Personal files

This option isn't available on all PCs.

Note:
If you reset your PC after a month of your upgrade to Windows 10, the option in Settings that lets you go back to your previous version of Windows will no longer be available.

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
This is an alternate method, which I have found to be a lot more easier and less downloading.

Perform a Clean installation without an ISO, or external medium.

First - Upgrade to Windows 10, so your License will be converted to Windows 10 and Activated.

upload_2015-8-7_16-6-39.png

Second - To clear any previous Sync settings. Turn off the Sync. This will stop any changes prior your clean install to carry over.

upload_2015-8-7_16-11-29.png

Third - Wipe any Sync backup settings. Warning: This will delete the above settings from your associated Microsoft Account. Your Windows Phones settings are not affected.

upload_2015-8-7_16-12-17.png

Fourth - Go to Recovery to Reset your PC (for a clean installation, all your programs will be removed). You can keep your personal files. See @illumination previous post

upload_2015-8-7_16-7-12.png

Fifth - Use a clean Windows 10. Install the programs, check the file on the desktop to see what was removed.

upload_2015-8-7_16-16-16.png

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well Said @illumination and @Huracan . Now my brain understands it clearly. Thanks, I will Upgrade it then, if its smooth and buggy free then I will stay with and clean install later.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Oh I faced a problem. I was upgrading and it was in the installation process at Bios screen, my laptop got shut down automatically because of over heat. When I restarted it reverted back every thing to windows 8.1 and It gave a error windows 10 was not able to install for some reason. Now I try to install with it again, :eek: Its downloading again! What would be the solution for this? Please help..

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
Deal with the heat issue first. Clean it, ensure fans are working.

Do a full backup/image.

Download the ISO for your edition, run setup.exe on it from within Win8 desktop to upgrade. After that's finished and activated, boot from that ISO, delete all partitions, install fresh. That is the only clean install.

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
I want to share my experience with Win10:

Managed to snag a PC during decommission duties at the office (HP Compaq dc7800 Ultra Slim) and took it for myself.Once I worked out the kinks to install Win7 on it,I downloaded and ran the Media Creation Tool(x64)

The initial download took quite a while but once it started,it worked out fine.Once up,I had reinstall the same drivers that didn't load with Win7(The setup creates a Windows.old file and I took it from there).To be on the safe side,I install them in Win 7 Compatibility Mode...Worked like a charm.

As of right now....

Win10.jpg

Everything's smooth.Installed all my apps flawlessly...

Also-Created image backups on both Win7 and Win10.Using Macrium and Redo...

On the coming weeks,will max out RAM and install a SSD HDD for maximum performance.

Win 10 2.jpg Win 10 3.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: frogboy

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
How to change the windows color of file explorers and other applications? Why its white always? And Mail doesnt play live tile and doesnt show any notification. Are you all facing the same the same things?

StriderHunterX

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 10, 2015
Currently checked color settings and they only allowed me to change Start tiles.Action Center and Taskbar as well...
The Mail App doesn't notify me when I receive emails,either.Live tile is not working as it should....

Windows is updated.Will continue to tweak and report any findings..

Reactions: Purshu_Pro
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.