Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I have the notification in my taskbar to reserve and upgrade. Shall I upgrade or wait for few more days? Can any one suggest?

Reactions: Kent and nissimezra

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
It's completely up to you.

I went ahead with the upgrade, remember to uninstall any third-party antivirus or other real-time security for a smooth update.

Post install, see this thread.
I currently have Mc.Sheild running in real time. Rest all is as default. Will that affect me?

Reactions: nissimezra

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
It shouldn't, but can if you want to.

Remember, when you use the Media Creation tool (x32 or x64), it will download the full Windows 10 ESD file, which varies to 2-4GB. Make sure you have the available bandwidth.

I recommend the Upgrade over the Create Installation Media, as it's straight forward without needing to enter a Windows 10 license key. You can choose between keeping your personal and programs, or personal files only. Or wipe everything.

You'll have 30-days to revert back to Windows 8.1 or 7 SP1 - make sure you do not delete the Windows.Old folder.

juhful

Level 13
Verified
Well-known
Jun 22, 2013
I think if you're hesitant then maybe you should wait, you have a year and I'm sure the OS will only get better, but remember the person telling you this upgraded the second it told me I could, which was 9pm last Tuesday my time. My experience was and is very good. Upgraded 2 pc's through Windows update, then did a clean install on 1 using the reset option in Recovery just to start fresh, both running well.

NekoJonez

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jun 3, 2015
In my honest opinion... Wait a few more days that some things are patched out. ;)

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Microsoft should be releasing Service Release 1 (SR1) this month (August), which should resolve some of the existing bugs or problems people are facing.

I'm waiting at least 6 months.
I like windows 7.

Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1, because you'll need to install the Service Pack to be eligible. ;)

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
Microsoft should be releasing Service Release 1 (SR1) this month (August), which should resolve some of the existing bugs or problems people are facing.

Windows 7 or Windows 7 SP1, because you'll need to install the Service Pack to be eligible. ;)
yep sp1 fully up to date:mad: I hate update
my plan is to remove my hard disk and install other one>> then to install windows 7 sp1>> then to upgrade to windows 10>> create an image>> put back my windows 7.
I have 4 pc that have windows 7 license so its a lot of work
I hope I will not lose my windows 7 licence.

Reactions: frogboy

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
If we are going to base the numbers in majority, no issues occur from upgrade to Windows 10 so for OEM computer.

So for such case, conduct a backup to avoid any problematic issues.

As long you use WD and McShield then there's no conflict, except for 3rd party program that insist you to uninstall temporary for safety precaution.

Rolo

Level 18
Verified
Jun 14, 2015
You don't need to "reserve" and you don't need the GWX update to upgrade--use the ISO before the 1-year time limit to upgrade for free is over.

If you're happy with your PC and it's working smoothly then you may want to wait. If it isn't and due for a rebuild anyway (mine was) or there are Win10-specific features you want, then make a bare-metal backup (Paragon Rescue Kit 14 Free is very nice), upgrade to Win10, clean install Win10, use it and if you don't like it, you can always restore your backup.

You could even mount your Paragon VHDX backup as a drive in Win10 or run it in Hyper-V in Win10 Pro.

Your old key/OS will still work just fine.

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
I feel Win 10 needs more work, Control Panel & Settings App are confusing MS must use Control Panel for desktop, Lappies & Tabs. Settings App must be for phones only, so as to avoid confusion.

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
@Vasudev : Microsoft's design for Windows 10 is to apply from all such platforms without any special edition for specific ones.

Way back on Windows 8/8.1 where Settings is also existed even the long time Control Panel. ;) We will see what are the next thing for Microsoft as Windows to be 'service'. ;)

Vasudev

Level 33
Verified
Nov 8, 2014
@Vasudev : Microsoft's design for Windows 10 is to apply from all such platforms without any special edition for specific ones.

Way back on Windows 8/8.1 where Settings is also existed even the long time Control Panel. ;) We will see what are the next thing for Microsoft as Windows to be 'service'. ;)
Its a good move by MS, also consider the fact many Windows users are used to control panel than having settings app on-board.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
It shouldn't, but can if you want to.

Remember, when you use the Media Creation tool (x32 or x64), it will download the full Windows 10 ESD file, which varies to 2-4GB. Make sure you have the available bandwidth.

I recommend the Upgrade over the Create Installation Media, as it's straight forward without needing to enter a Windows 10 license key. You can choose between keeping your personal and programs, or personal files only. Or wipe everything.

You'll have 30-days to revert back to Windows 8.1 or 7 SP1 - make sure you do not delete the Windows.Old folder.
can I create a ISO disc after the upgrade?

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
@exterminator20 , @illumination I have a OEM machine, I want to upgrade to W 10. What should i choose upgrade or create installation media? If I create installation media can I upgrade and in future make a clean install?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.