Status
Not open for further replies.

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
Looking at many of my clients looking to me for help to roll back their machines with the mess Microsoft have made. Looks like that way or don't install the new version. I'm still on 1803.

~LDogg

plat

Level 29
Top Poster
Sep 13, 2018
Not subjecting my machine to unnecessary wear-and-tear unless it's flat-out warranted. Granted, the unforeseen loss of data is a very serious issue for too many, but my machine has been running v.1809 competently and error-free since it first rolled out a few days ago. It's a watchful waiting, see how it goes type of thing.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
If you didn't have data loss when updating, you won't have it now. Anyways, the data loss was from user account folders such as Documents. It's no big deal to restore the data from the backup that you obviously made before you updated. No one would run a major update before backing up his entire system, or at least his personal data on the C drive, right???

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
If you didn't have data loss when updating, you won't have it now. Anyways, the data loss was from user account folders such as Documents. It's no big deal to restore the data from the backup that you obviously made before you updated. No one would run a major update before backing up his entire system, or at least his personal data on the C drive, right???
You'd expect that from people yes xD

~LDogg

fredwerk

Level 1
Verified
Nov 18, 2015
Excited about the update when suddenly I realised most of my stuff in the Downloads folder is gone. However, thanks to my constant backup to Backblaze, I retrieved and restored everything. Now, I set up my Downloads folder to be on Dropbox (and this is on my internal second hard drive).

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
What type of fool doesn't back up 23 years of data?
Microsoft delays roll-out of October 2018 Windows 10 Update | Digital Trends

From the article linked above;
Although the October 2018 Update is available now, it’s not an automatic process yet. You can manually check for the update by going to Settings, Windows Update, and then Check for Updates. The update should automatically download for all users starting October 9.

Does this mean everyone with issues, aka the guinea pigs, are those who didn't wait for Windows Updates?

L

Local Host

The bug wasn't exactly widespread, but was major.
I managed to confirm the Group Policy to delete User Profiles was enabled on the few affected laptops I had to work with today.
I managed to recover the files regardless, as they were available on the Windows.old folder (on the old profile).
Windows 10 already does that by default when upgrading, all the files are in Windows.old.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
No need to revert here as I'm still on 1803. Machine is all cleaned up, imaged and in ready mode. Disk Cleanup and BleachBit do a great job! I'm lazy, and waiting for MS to serve up 1809 whenever they get around to it. (y)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
What about fresh install 1803 is it good to stay with that iso for now for a fresh install?
Don't do it unless you have an urgent reason to. Wait a little, and then do a fresh install of 1809. If you fresh install 1803 now, you will later update to 1809, and lose the advantage of a fresh install.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.