cruelsister

Level 42
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 13, 2013
Have been busy, so just noticed something about Windows Firewall for 1809. Formerly it was quite easy to construct malware that would either disable WF entirely or Add/Delete rules, but not this is not the case currently.

I'm still not a WF fan, but just sayin'...

Pirate_fin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 16, 2018
I'm having problems with screen brightness on Windows 10 Home 1809 that did not happen on 1803.

I have set my laptops screen brightness to 20 and when i restart my pc, brightness always goes to 50 and i have to manually set it back to 20 everytime.

Danielx64

Level 10
Verified
Well-known
Mar 24, 2017
I'm having problems with screen brightness on Windows 10 Home 1809 that did not happen on 1803.

I have set my laptops screen brightness to 20 and when i restart my pc, brightness always goes to 50 and i have to manually set it back to 20 everytime.
Same here
Drivers installed and updated? Could be that messing you guys up. My work laptop hasn't been updated so I can't really comment yet.

Reactions: brambedkar59

Pirate_fin

Level 1
Verified
Feb 16, 2018
Drivers installed and updated? Could be that messing you guys up. My work laptop hasn't been updated so I can't really comment yet.

Yup, drivers were updated. I decided to go back to 1803 just to see if the problem was really happening, because of 1809 and now the problem is gone, so i think i will be using 1803 for some time now.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Forgive my dumb question, but here goes. I had the Creator's Upgrade, 1709(?) on my laptop. I upgraded and had a load of problems so went back to Win 8.1.

IF I chose to try Windows 10 again has anything changed, like being able to download 1709 (if I can find it) and just stay with that version, or are they still forcing us to install their next latest and greatest disaster?

I upgrade rather than clean install because I have software that I use, need, and spending all day installing isn't something I look forward to, as well as not having access to license #s at the moment, or maybe for some time.

CoherentCrayon

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Jun 23, 2017
Forgive my dumb question, but here goes. I had the Creator's Upgrade, 1709(?) on my laptop. I upgraded and had a load of problems so went back to Win 8.1.

IF I chose to try Windows 10 again has anything changed, like being able to download 1709 (if I can find it) and just stay with that version, or are they still forcing us to install their next latest and greatest disaster?

I upgrade rather than clean install because I have software that I use, need, and spending all day installing isn't something I look forward to, as well as not having access to license #s at the moment, or maybe for some time.
You can clean install 1709 if you find an ISO (verify it first, with this tool for example Download Windows and Office Genuine ISO Verifier 8.5.8.7), it must be at least Pro edition though, then you can switch update channel to Semi-Annual Channel and defer feature upgrades for 365 days. That will delay feature updates for a pretty long time, I think 18 months or something like that

Reactions: Chuck57

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Thank you, steel9. I bit the bullet and went to 1803, with a fresh image of 8.1 on an external drive sitting close at hand. So far, so good. I did change all settings to the longest possible upgrade time, including clicking the box for metered connection which I've read will stop some things. At this point, I have no complaints. I'm thinking it could have been a bad update that messed up everything last time. Still being cautiously optimistic, and 8.1 Pro is sitting nearby, just in case.

Reactions: CoherentCrayon

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
Right, and done. 365 days and 15 days for monthly security updates. That ought to give MS time to sort out the bad ones and get them right.

Reactions: CoherentCrayon
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.