Advice Request Should you use the Honey extension?

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
We have listed the features of the extension, and analyzed them. But here’s the big question. Is Honey worth using?

The add-on works, there’s no denying that. But if you value your privacy, you shouldn't use such add-ons. Think of it like the Facebook of coupon sites, you are the product. It’s up to you to decide whether you want to save money at the expense of being tracked all the time. If necessary, I'd use it in private mode, without an account.

Now as for the service’s quality, the coupon finder is a bit of a gamble. Sometimes it works, it is a hit or miss. It depends on the availability of stores too, as I couldn’t find coupons for some sites. Just because it shows a coupon doesn’t mean Honey works, and as mentioned earlier, you will need to go to the checkout page, and apply the code to see if it is valid. But sometimes it has outdated coupons, or none at all.

Personally, I use services which offer price tracking and price history for specific sites, e.g. Keepa for Amazon, SteamDB for games, etc. You don’t need to install the extensions to use these services, or even an account if you’re just interesting in the price history. If you want to get alerts for price drops, you can optionally set up email alerts for products that you add to the wishlist, and you can use a secondary email address for this.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
This extension is like a honey-pot where we're the target. Why anyone would use this is beyond me.

BTW: Haven't we seen a similar post (link) like this before?
That post was deleted I think, found it linked here:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Another questionable extension is Keepa – Amazon Price Tracker:
Keepa extension is equipped to collect any information about your Amazon visits. Currently it will collect information about the products you look at and the ones you search for, all that tied to a unique and persistent user identifier. Even without you choosing to register on the Keepa website, there is considerable potential for the collected data to be deanonymized.

Some sloppy programming had the (likely unintended) consequence of making the server even more powerful, essentially granting it full control over any Amazon page you visit. Luckily, the extension’s privileges don’t give it access to any websites beyond Amazon.

The company behind the extension fails to comply with its legal obligations. The privacy policy is misleading in claiming that no personal data is being collected. It fails to explain how the data is being used and who it is shared with. There are certainly companies interested in buying detailed online shopping profiles, and a usable privacy policy needs to at least exclude the possibility of the data being sold.

ChoiceVoice

Level 6
Verified
Oct 10, 2014
i don't know why it says "The add-on works, there’s no denying that", because it has never worked for me. i have periodically downloaded it over the years to see if it could find a coupon to diminish my online expenditures and it has never found a coupon for me: never. so i deleted it. useless.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.