Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
If incremental backup & RDP or something that allows fast restore was there in Macrium free, I would have tried it;)

Anyway, I have Rollback Rx Pro & AX64 V2 & currently using AX64 with no probs.

Well, I share license with special persons:);)
Only Macrium reflect premium can do Rapid Delta Cloning which replaces only the changed bytes of the drive making the restore probably way faster. @_CyberGhosT_ that has premium maybe uses that.

D

Deleted member 2913

I disagree,
He has eliminated one of the "MITM" I too backup in a similar fashion, only I clone using Macrium Paid,
I do not need rollback software. Why add it, I store my cloned backup externally ( a seperate drive) and
hot swap when needed. there is not one logical reason for either of us to add rollback
I meant trying software, etc... & reverting back to clean state will be easy & fast.
Does Macrium restores in few secs to a min?

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I meant trying software, etc... & reverting back to clean state will be easy & fast.
Does Macrium restores in few secs to a min?
Depends on your drives(backup drive and restoring drive) speed and used space that was you made a backup. Especially in the free version that it has to restore everything and not only changes. On hdd it take 70gb of backup take ~30-40min and on the ssd ~10. Really depends on what you are restoring and your disks.

@_CyberGhosT_ I actually restore i don't swap the drives(do image backup not clone). The backup drive never stays connected to the pc except when i am doing a backup/restore.
It's really easier to keep multiple versions this way because if i did it like you i would need 10 identical ssd which i can't afford.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
You mean replace HDD with cloned one?
Yeah "Hot swap"
many times some Macrium users leave the cloned drive plugged in and only require a short reboot to access the clone.
For security reasons mine in kept in a fire safe beside my desk so add 10 sec for me to hot swap the drive ;)

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
So Hot Swap can be done with desktop, laptop?
Desktop, not so sure about a laptop, but I imagine for the right price you may be able to find a laptop that
facilitates hot swapping. I would hate to see the price tag for a feature like that on a laptop though.
All it would need is fast access to the HDD, like a pop out drawer like they have for the CD drive. In fact I imagine there are Hot swaps for Laptops.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
Depends on your drives(backup drive and restoring drive) speed and used space that was you made a backup. Especially in the free version that it has to restore everything and not only changes. On hdd it take 70gb of backup take ~30-40min and on the ssd ~10. Really depends on what you are restoring and your disks.

@_CyberGhosT_ I actually restore i don't swap the drives(do image backup not clone). The backup drive never stays connected to the pc except when i am doing a backup/restore.
It's really easier to keep multiple versions this way because if i did it like you i would need 10 identical ssd which i can't afford.
You should go to cloning, you only need one spare HDD or SSD, I make a full clone and store it, I store the original and boot to the
clone that way I know for sure if I have a failier that I will be able to boot. It requires less drives, and fewer software tools, and the
need for the fickle process of restoring anything.

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
You should go to cloning, you only need one spare HDD or SSD, I make a full clone and store it, I store the original and boot to the
clone that way I know for sure if I have a failier that I will be able to boot. It requires less drives, and fewer software tools, and the
need for the fickle process of restoring anything.
But i have multiple backups that i use to test things. All the software i test are on an image and i just restore that when i want to continue testing. Sure it takes 10 more minutes this way i do it but meh what can i do.
If i had a few ssd i would do it your way. Maybe when prices drop in good old EU, now prices of good ssd went up the last year.
Even if i had 1 more ssd i would do it your way and keep the images on the other. I just can't do hdd anymore i get mad.

D

Deleted member 2913

No were talking about SHvFI's need for yet another software, stay focused ;)
I knew ShvFI doesn't do clone (laptop) & takes app 30 mins to restore for him:)rollback was a suggestion for regular use (app 1 min to clean state) & macrium for occasional use (app 30 mins to clean state);)

I haven't tried Macrium. I know its good. RDP restore feature (Pro feature), do you know how fast is RDP restore?

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
I knew ShvFI doesn't do clone (laptop) & takes app 30 mins to restore for him:)rollback was a suggestion for regular use (app 1 min to clean state) & macrium for occasional use (app 30 mins to clean state);)

I haven't tried Macrium. I know its good. RDP restore feature (Pro feature), do you know how fast is RDP restore?
Have both a laptop and desktop but i just mainly use the laptop because the desktop sucks :p
Old piece of crap way older than my laptop.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
But i have multiple backups that i use to test things. All the software i test are on an image and i just restore that when i want to continue testing. Sure it takes 10 more minutes this way i do it but meh what can i do.
If i had a few ssd i would do it your way. Maybe when prices drop in good old EU, now prices of good ssd went up the last year.
Even if i had 1 more ssd i would do it your way and keep the images on the other. I just can't do hdd anymore i get mad.
Right, but at least you see the efficiency of having the solution sitting there "pre-made"
and no restoring necessary. But yeah I get your point and what your doing from the testing angle :)

SHvFl

Level 35
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Right, but at least you see the efficiency of having the solution sitting there "pre-made"
and no restoring necessary. But yeah I get your point and what your doing from the testing angle :)
Obviously yours is way better and faster. If i could do it i would for sure.
Atm i can't do a new desktop so the new laptop i will get soonish would have 2 drives. If it wasn't for all those hospital bills i would have had it already.

_CyberGhosT_

Level 53
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Aug 2, 2015
I Alpha & Beta software a lot, I just do it straight to the drive seeing I have a
fast viable solution on hand. I can always just reboot to a fresh up to date clone
and keep chugging along.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.