New Update Simple Windows Hardening

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
Hi,

I've previously used SysHardener (Suggested Settings) in conjunction with WD & ConfigureDefender (Hard Settings) having avoided Hard_Configurator as it was way over my head. It looks like I could now use SWP instead of SysHardener... I prefer to use tools from same developer to avoid unwanted overlaps / conflicts where possible. My query is whether SWP will at some point have option to switch on 'Forced Smartscreen' (the missing part of H_C Basic Rec. Settings) rather than having to use a third tool - Run-By-Smartscreen? Hopefully I've understood roles of Forced SmartScreen vs Run-By-Smartscreen!

Last edited:

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Hi,

I've previously used SysHardener (Suggested Settings) in conjunction with WD & ConfigureDefender (Hard Settings) having avoided Hard_Configurator as it was way over my head. It looks like I could now use SWP instead of SysHardener... I prefer to use tools from same developer to avoid unwanted overlaps / conflicts where possible. My query is whether SWP will at some point have option to switch on 'Forced Smartscreen' (the missing part of H_C Basic Rec. Settings) rather than having to use a third tool - Run-By-Smartscreen? Hopefully I've understood roles of Forced SmartScreen vs Run-By-Smartscreen!
Forced SmartScreen set to Standard User in H_C works in a very similar way to RunBySmartscreen. The main difference is that the executable which is used by Forced SmartScreen is located in %WinDir%\Hard\Configurator and the executable which is used by RunBySmartscreen is located in %WinDir%. Most of the code is shared by both solutions.
On Windows 8+, RunBySmartscreen is useful alone, or with SysHardener, or with SWH, or with any solution which allows EXE and MSI files.

Although SWH is much easier to understand and use as compared to H_C, it is still not for novice users. But, with a little learning, it can be helpful for the average MT member.
You can try it. If you will do not like it then simply use:
Menu >> Restore Windows Defaults :)(y)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Sorry, I have not found what license it was released with. Is SWH free for commercial use?
The SWH application digitally signed by me can be used for free in the home environment or businesses. I will upload the license info to GitHub today.
Please bear in mind that if you want to use it on computers connected to the local network with remote management, you need additional protection against the local network threats.

Last edited:

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
One question please... I run all my portable programs from sub-directories in D:/Portable/ ... can you whitelist a folder, sub-directories and all executables files in one whitelisting rule or do you have to do each program individually?

Kermit80

Level 1
Mar 29, 2020
The SWH application digitally signed by me can be used for free in the home environment or businesses. I will upload the license info to GitHub today.
Please bear in mind that if you want to use it on computers connected to the local network with remote management, you need additional protection against the local network threats.

got it! Thanks. I like it very much so far. Are blocked events notified to the user?

RoboMan

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 24, 2016
Ah yes, I see you used my GUI prototype

1593963554059.png

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: just kidding, nice release! Loving it!

F

ForgottenSeer 85179

One question please... I run all my portable programs from sub-directories in D:/Portable/ ... can you whitelist a folder, sub-directories and all executables files in one whitelisting rule or do you have to do each program individually?
You can whitelist files and/ or folder.

Also for security reasons you should use Windows Program folder and install your programs to that, so they're protected by UAC

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
In SWH all EXE and MSI applications are already whitelisted, so most of your portable applications will not require additional whitelisting. If the portable application will use scripts then simply whitelist the blocked scripts. If you use many scripts in one folder in UserSpace then whitelist this folder.

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
got it! Thanks. I like it very much so far. Are blocked events notified to the user?
Usually, you will see only the enigmatic Windows alert. In some cases, the file will be blocked silently. The blocks will be rare. It is good to look from time to time into the SWH Logs (<View Blocked Events>).

JasonUK

Level 5
Apr 14, 2020
In SWH all EXE and MSI applications are already whitelisted, so most of your portable applications will not require additional whitelisting. If the portable application will use scripts then simply whitelist the blocked scripts. If you use many scripts in one folder in UserSpace then whitelist this folder.
Okay thanks got it now. I had tried to whitelist a folder & its sub-directories but it hadn't seemed to work hence query... it's since clicked that it wasn't the files in the folder causing the 'system admin has blocked' message, it was the shortcut file I was using... you live and learn and need to read the blocked events log properly! :)

Last edited:

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Okay thanks got it now. I had tried to whitelist a folder & its sub-directories but it hadn't seemed to work hence query... it's since clicked that it wasn't the files in the folder causing the 'system admin has blocked' message, it was the shortcut file I was using... you live and learn and need to read the blocked events log properly! :)
You probably have read the SRP help to know that shortcuts have to be whitelisted via <Add Path*Wildcards>.:) (y)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Make your choice:
SSS = Simple, Smart & Solid
or
SSS = Simple Stupid Security
The question is, which of both is your CUP of tea?
Simple Stupid Security was mentioned here:
as an alternative for top free AVs.
It was rather an old idea and evolved into SWH which can be also used with any AV (although the free AVs can gain more).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.