Last edited:

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Can I run these 2 without any issues?
2020-11-30_105115.png

Why I ask, watch the very short video...

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Can I run these 2 without any issues?
View attachment 250069
Why I ask, watch the very short video...
You cannot and you should not. The first (SWH) was created for people who do not want to use the second (H_C). If you like the second, then the first is useless. If you like to use the Documents Anti-Exploit tool, then it is available as a standalone application:
Download (github.com)

Be safe.(y)

Edit.
One can correct the behavior of SWH spoiled by SwitchDefaultDeny by choosing :
<Settings> <Apply Basic Recommended Settings>

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
You cannot and you should not. The first (SWH) was created for people who do not want to use the second (H_C). If you like the second, then the first is useless. If you like to use the Documents Anti-Exploit tool, then it is available as a standalone application:
Download (github.com)

Be safe.(y)

Edit.
Is there any overlap with SwitchDefaultDeny since I have VS Pro?

ErzCrz

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 19, 2019
That default deny switch temporarily turns off SRP for when you have issues with installing software with H_C installed with recommended settings. (see below help) that pops up when you click on the button. There's full help files and manuals in H_C and SH.

1606758650256.png
rules to

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
@Overkill can you update your security config, so that we can discuss this there?

A very simplified explanation of both tools is:
The tools from @Andy Ful HardConfigurator and Simple Windows Hardening use Windows internal options to strengthen/harden the system.
Normally you don't need SwitchDefaultDeny unless something is not working in your system and you don't have time to research how to whitelist it.
VoodooShield is IMO more an addon to your current AV solution.
Please don't kill me @danb for saying this :eek:

Like @ErzCrz mentioned there is a lot of help available in Andy's tools and in the manuals (y)

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
SwitchDefaultDeny is a part of Hard_Configurator. Do you use both H_C and VS? There is no need to use both H_C and VS (two default deny applications). Just use VS if you like it, or use SWH instead. SWH is a simplified version of H_C which was intended for semi-advanced users (EXE and MSI files are not blocked).

H_C is more complex and has several setting profiles that are more restrictive than SWH. But it is intended rather for protecting the computers of inexperienced users who can accidentally run EXE or MSI files embedded in spam attachments or can ignore SmartScreen Application Reputation alerts. So you could use H_C to protect the computers of your family members. H_C has got also ConfigureDefender and FirewallHardening integrated into one GUI. (y)

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
SwitchDefaultDeny is a part of Hard_Configurator. Do you use both H_C and VS? There is no need to use both H_C and VS (two default deny applications). Just use VS if you like it, or use SWH instead. SWH is a simplified version of H_C which was intended for semi-advanced users (EXE and MSI files are not blocked).

H_C is more complex and has several setting profiles that are more restrictive than SWH. But it is intended rather for protecting the computers of inexperienced users who can accidentally run EXE or MSI files embedded in spam attachments or can ignore SmartScreen Application Reputation alerts. So you could use H_C to protect the computers of your family members. H_C has got also ConfigureDefender and FirewallHardening integrated into one GUI. (y)
I have Hard_Configurator mainly for ConfigureDefender, so I can just ignore SwitchDefaultDeny? If I do use SwitchDefaultDeny, it's not really hurting my system since it's based on SRP and VS works differently correct?

Overkill

Level 31
Verified
Honorary Member
Feb 15, 2012
Download (github.com)

Be safe.(y)

Edit.
Okay, I downloaded the zip of stand-alone tools and clicked on Documents Anti-Exploit tool and nothing opened :unsure:
I read about it and saw the gui so I am guessing if the 2 apps aren't installed it just won't do anything?
I just was curious about it and wanted to check it out.

Last edited:

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
I have Hard_Configurator mainly for ConfigureDefender, so I can just ignore SwitchDefaultDeny? If I do use SwitchDefaultDeny, it's not really hurting my system since it's based on SRP and VS works differently correct?
In that case uninstall Hard_Configurator and use the standalone ConfigureDefender :
I think SwitchDefaultDeny does nothing in your system when SRP is not configured and VS works differently.

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016
Okay, I downloaded the zip of stand-alone tools and clicked on Documents Anti-Exploit tool and nothing opened :unsure:
I read about it and saw the gui so I am guessing if the 2 apps aren't installed it just won't do anything?
Did you extract it?

Andy Ful

Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
It is probably blocked by something (a common issue in overkill setup).

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.