simplewall - A tool to configure Windows Filtering Platform

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
v2.3.13 (3 January 2019)
- added dns resolver caching
- added dns resolver winsock fallback (issue #290)
- avoid window flickering on window sizing
- revert refresh filters on device arrival
- fixed access rights for wfp provider and sublayer
- fixed allocated strings dereferencing (issue #285)
- fixed parsing hosnames with dashes (issue #271)
- fixed localization (issue #288)
- fixed bugs

v2.3.12 (25 December 2018)
- added (partialy) win10rs5+ dark theme (issue #248)
- allow loopback connections by default for new users
- fixed allocated strings dereferencing (issue #283)
- cosmetic fixes
- fixed bugs

v2.3.11 (14 December 2018)
- added "/install" argument for install filtering
- added cache auto clean up (to prevent overflow)
- changed minimum size of main window (issue #269)
- changed installation message
- increased rule parsing speed (issue #276)
- memory optimization
- fixed notification window appears on taskbar (regression)
- fixed exclude user rules option was not working
- cosmetic fixes
- fixed bugs

v2.3.10 (28 November 2018)
- fixed old bug where incorrect rules are may accepted as filters
- fixed bugs

simplewall-2.3.13-bin.zip
simplewall-2.3.13-setup.exe
simplewall-2.3.13-setup.sig
simplewall-2.3.13.sha256

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
I like the development of Simplewall, but if it isnt easy to configure to stop applications from connecting to the internet with the press of a button like Glasswire then I'd not be convinced to switch. Just as the name denotes, SimpleWall should be simple to configure. Sadly I keep using the last free version 1.x of Glasswire which has Firewall built in for free.

For instance in Glasswire you can see all the processes that was/is using my network and by clicking on the 'Fire' icon, I can deny access for that program from accessing the net. By clicking on the 'Fire' icon again I allow access for that program for accessing my internet bandwidth.

Towards the right, I can also see upload and download speed that the the process is using at the moment.

rQRbd96.png

jackuars

Level 27
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 2, 2014
It is easy. Tick the checkbar to allow connection and untick to disallow if you're using Whitelist mode and opposite for Blacklist mode.

Thanks. But I don't think Whitelisting and Blacklisting happens in automatic or real-time mode. Correct me if I'm wrong. I would just like to see which processes are currently using the internet and how much bandwidth is used, and accordingly click to allow and disallow anytime I need.

Reactions: Weebarra

Deletedmessiah

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jan 16, 2017
But I don't think Whitelisting and Blacklisting happens in automatic or real-time mode
Not sure if I understand what you mean by this.
I use and recommend whitelist mode since its better, simplewall shows notification when a process asks for connection, you select allow or block from there. If you click block, it keeps getting blocked unless you allow by ticking the app in the list. If the blocked process annoys you with notifications asking for connecting later on, you can disable notification for that particular process. Make sure that you have enabled dropped packet notification from Settings> Dropped packet log(for whitelist mode only)

It doesn't have some of those features of Glasswire like showing how much bandwidth a process is using or real time bandwidth connection speed of the particular process. You just get notification when a process asks for connection and you allow or block. If later you want to change it, you can change it from simplewall dashboard with ticking or unticking. Its very easy to use firewall. I would love a bandwidth monitoring feature but it would take a lot of time and work for the developer, he probably won't add those features but rather focus on Firewall security related features.

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
@henrypp
Hello,
Have you changed anything in your code? I'm getting alert for every DNS request(port 53) while I have DNS in system enabled rules.
Simplewall say xxxx.exe want to access port 53 do want wan to allow or no? why would it ask me?is it normal?

Reactions: oldschool

Sunshine-boy

Level 28
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2017
The problem is Simplewall.log is in the Users folder(the user that you installed simplewall for it), not program files. so if you create a SUA acc simple wall cant log the blocked and dropped packets to simplewall.log because it tries to write the log in the old user folder(not the new user folder) and windows prevent it.you should change the path to program files or create simplewall.log for every user(on the related user folder).

fredgo

Level 1
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Coming back to look at this after a few months. I see it still lists 'skip uac' prompt via task scheduler but I'm always asked for uac password on boot.
This means it's still unusable for me and I guess many others who don't want everyone having the admin password. Shouldn't skip uac do just that? What am I missing?

fredgo

Level 1
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Am I the only one who can't get this to skip uac on boot?
For one thing the installer on a non-admin account doesn't request for admin rights & thus fails to install, which perhaps needs fixing. Running install via admin default everythng and rebooting I tick the skip uac prompt box and reboot, there's a system task enabled but it simply does not skip uac prompt. Should I disable start on startup seperately to skip uac? I also don't get any start menu items installed, should there be?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Am I the only one who can't get this to skip uac on boot?
For one thing the installer on a non-admin account doesn't request for admin rights & thus fails to install, which perhaps needs fixing. Running install via admin default everythng and rebooting I tick the skip uac prompt box and reboot, there's a system task enabled but it simply does not skip uac prompt. Should I disable start on startup seperately to skip uac? I also don't get any start menu items installed, should there be?

These kinds of issues have made me wary of 3rd party firewalls or GUIs. Even the well-liked ones like Simplewall are susceptible to them. If you're using the Beta, you might wish to go back to a more stable version? :unsure:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018
I was looking into this, but on some posts there were some flaws with it that made me get put off. When I looked at Binisoft is was the answer I was looking for.

~LDogg

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
I was looking into this, but on some posts there were some flaws with it that made me get put off. When I looked at Binisoft is was the answer I was looking for.
no, its not by Binisoft anymore))

lulz list:

LDogg

Level 33
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 4, 2018

fredgo

Level 1
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
Is there any way to get this to report to Windows that it's controlling/enabling the firewall, just like tinywall/comodo firewall/other fireawalls do? This would stop Windows complaining that the firewall is disabled every single boot.

fredgo

Level 1
Verified
Jul 11, 2018
2.4.2 - update available. Click install, but it won't as 'simplewall is running. Please close it before contine.'
Also, would a Start Menu entry be too much to ask on install? Every time I have to exit it I have to find the exe to start again

Reactions: harlan4096

henrypp

Level 1
Verified
Aug 24, 2017
v2.4.4 Beta (15 March 2019)
  • added safety timeout for notification buttons
  • added filename highlighting into notification window (issue #344)
  • fixed new notifications replacing old one (issue #299)
  • fixed updates installation in some cases
  • cosmetic fixes
  • fixed bugs

v2.4.3 Beta (9 March 2019)
  • fixed filters access rights
  • fixed race conditions crash (issue #337)
  • fixed notifications locale
  • fixed bugs

v2.4.2 Beta (5 March 2019)
  • fixed crash (issue #337)
  • updated blocklist
  • cosmetic fixes
  • fixed bugs

v2.4.1 Beta (1 March 2019)
  • improved notifications speed
  • fixed rules listview sorting
  • fixed notification ui
  • cosmetic fixes
  • fixed bugs

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.