SmileMore Security Configuration

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Greeting @SmileMore, and thank you for sharing this, your configuration which reads as being set very attentively toward privacy, from encrypted searches on Google to your local account setting, and using your brain as a password manager.:p Your mention of Firefox's anonymous brother put a smile on my face!:D Does this refer to Tor browser?o_O Something you may consider that's often overlooked, is an anti-keylogger (available here: Zemana Zemana Downloads – Security Software Free Trails) or keyboard encryption (either Keyscrambler Download KeyScrambler - MajorGeeks or a feature included with HitmanPro Alert Download HitmanPro.Alert 3 - MajorGeeks). Kaspersky is a very celebrated Internet Security solution I have yet to experience, but look forward to trying for the first time very soon. Whether Kaspersky may already protect against such threats, my personal feeling is that one cannot be too safe ..especially if the software's compatible!:p

SmileMore

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2016
Thank you all for the comments and suggestions

Do you have Smartscreen enabled ? Please edit and make a choice between disabled or Smartscreen (system wide) OS File Reputation should be enabled.
Edited as OS file disabled on my computer...

Your mention of Firefox's anonymous brother put a smile on my face!:D Does this refer to Tor browser?o_O
For more accuracy, it should be Firefox son and not brother :) ...
Something you may consider that's often overlooked, is an anti-keylogger (Zemana) or keyboard encryption (either Keyscrambler or a feature included with HitmanPro Alert).
@aragornnnn, @DardiM, @jamescv7
Thanks for the list of suggestion, I'll try to find the best fit to my PC and come back later with some update about that.
Kaspersky is a very celebrated Internet Security solution I have yet to experience, but look forward to trying for the first time very soon. Whether Kaspersky may already protect against such threats, my personal feeling is that one cannot be too safe ..especially if the software's compatible!:p
I have tried some security products in the past 10 years, the best one was Agnitum security suite (I have used it for almost 8 years) but sadly It's terminated. Switching to another product was not easy after spending all this years on the hands of Agnitum... so Kaspersky was on the top of my testing list and I'm not disappointed (It's great in term of protection and kaspersky stuff did so much development in term of performance over the past 10 years...)
As you said, we cannot be totally safe; Balance between security, privacy and un-unique fingerprint should be achieved. I found today that my customised firefox browser fingerprint appears to be unique and that make me more identifiable on the internet. My next challenge is to minimize this problem with hope...

SmileMore :)

Last edited:

SmileMore

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2016
Any reason to disable Smartscreen?
The first reason is that I found it unusefull and nuisance for me.
The second reason to disable Smartscreen is the privacy, as my main PC configuration is set toward privacy ("I know I'm using windows 10 :) ").
Also, it's not smart enough ;).

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2
D

Deleted member 178

@SmileMore fair enough , but personally i see it more useful than a nuisance, it blocks lot of suspicious/malicious files.

Honestly what privacy you lose by letting a application check if the executable is safe or not, all AVs do the same and some even do worse..

SmileMore

Level 1
Thread author
Verified
Oct 15, 2016
I didn't say that AVs are a best way for both protection and privacy. Sometime, I choose protection over privacy if it's necessary. By the way, Smartscreen doesn't work in the same way as AVs ...

D

Deleted member 178

If the AV possess a cloud reputation system (which most have now), they do exactly the same : check hash + compare with own database. There is no hundreds way to check a file authenticity.

Reactions: Cats-4_Owners-2

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.