Dec 25, 2018
Windows Edition
Pro
Security updates
Check for updates and Notify
User Access Control
Always notify
Real-time security
VoodooShield 4.68 (Always on & Aggressive)
NVT OSArmor 1.4.1
NVT SysHardener 1.5
Firewall security
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Periodic malware scanners
Norton Power Eraser
Emsisoft Emergency Kit
Zemana Antilogger
Malwarebytes Premium
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Slimjet (latest build) -
uBlock Origin
Bitwarden
Decentraleyes

Iridium (latest build) -
uBlock Origin
Decentraleyes
Windscribe
Maintenance tools
Revo Uninstaller
File and Photo backup
USB Drive
System recovery
None
Computer specs
https://malwaretips.com/threads/smoke-pc.88217/

Smoke

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
I could do with getting a backup solution but when I last used one it took up a good chunk of space and my SSD's are already claustrophobic.

Linked my uBlock Origin filters, I use it in Advanced mode with 3rd party scripts/frames disabled globally.

Attachments

• XunF4a8.png
    XunF4a8.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 359

DeepWeb

Level 25
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jul 1, 2017
Good setup! (y)
Backups have saved me from a massive headache, bootloops and soft bricks so many times just this week alone! You never know when Microsoft borks an update. They take up space but you can use something like AOMEI Backupper which does incremental backups and only saves the changes since the last backup and with an SSD like you have it's faster to restore a backup than to repair your computer.

harlan4096

Verified
Staff Member
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 28, 2015
@Smoke: ESET IS (please specify the version number) well tweaked is enough to protect the system, and probably no need of NVT tools:
ESET Internet Security (slightly altered Roboman's settings)
NVT OSArmor
NVT SysHardener

Also consider UAC -> Always notify and for "Disk Imaging Backup", Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably, and run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud.

Thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

Smoke

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
@Smoke: ESET IS (please specify the version number) well tweaked is enough to protect the system, and probably no need of NVT tools:

Also consider UAC -> Always notify and for "Disk Imaging Backup", Macrium Reflect Free or AOEMI Backupper, both are free and reliably, and run manual backups of important data to external devices, and/or in cloud.

Thanks for sharing Your config :giggle:

I was using just OSArmor and ERP only for quite a long time until I installed ESET earlier today. Both of my laptops need a new AV so trying it out on my PC too and if I like it I'll end up keeping it on here also. Updated ESET info & changed UAC to Always Notify. I'm taking a look at both those backup programs right now but likely won't end up using any until I get a bigger SSD. Other than music I have nothing of importance on my PC. :unsure:

F

ForgottenSeer 69673

You don't need to use your SSD for the image. It is better if you don't anyway. I just saw a 128 gig USB stick for sale yesterday for 9 bucks.
You want to use either that or another USB hard drive so that after you make your image, you remove the USB. When you create the USB you create it to boot into Marcrium if using that. Then you creat a full image on the USB stick and when your computer gets hit by a bad update or something, you just plug the USB stick in and boot up your computer.

Smoke

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
You don't need to use your SSD for the image. It is better if you don't anyway. I just saw a 128 gig USB stick for sale yesterday for 9 bucks.
You want to use either that or another USB hard drive so that after you make your image, you remove the USB. When you create the USB you create it to boot into Marcrium if using that. Then you creat a full image on the USB stick and when your computer gets hit by a bad update or something, you just plug the USB stick in and boot up your computer.

If I see one at 128GB on the Cyber Monday sales going cheap I'll try and pick one up, thanks for the idea. (y)

In the meantime I did my first backup, I copied all my music onto my USB Drive.

Smoke

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Dec 7, 2014
Ditched Brave, in-built adblocker would constantly re-activate itself despite me telling it not to.

- Slimjet is back
- changed Lastpass to Bitwarden

Reactions: harlan4096

Wraith

Level 13
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 15, 2018
- ESET Internet Security 12

+ VoodooShield

ESET well configured does not need VoodooShield, ERP or OSArmor. If you can tweak the HIPS and the firewall it becomes a solid product. Syshardener is an excellent utility for locking down the PC. Personally I would add Sandboxie/Shadow Defender to ESET and call it a day(along with a proper backup software of course).

Last edited:
Reactions: harlan4096

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.