Basic Security soccer97's PC Security Config

Original forum configuration · expand details
Last updated
Dec 10, 2023
Main use of this computer
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
On-device encryption
Not applicable
Device sign-in security
    • Account password
Security updates
Allow security updates and latest features
Update channels
Allow stable updates only
User Account Control (UAC)
Always notify
Smart App Control
Not applicable / not available on this device
Network firewall
Enabled
Real-time protection
Microsoft Defender
Device firewall
Microsoft Defender Firewall
Custom security settings
No Remote Access, Disabled upnp, Set most Browser settings to more restrictive privacy settings.
Periodic malware scanners
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Environment for malware testing
N/A
Browsers and extensions
Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge all with Adguard Browser Extension
Secure DNS
N/A
Desktop VPN
N/A
Password and passkey manager
Sticky Password Premium
File and photo backups
Manually via External HDD
System recovery
Currently none
Usage and exposure
    • Visiting familiar websites
    • Opening email attachments
    • Online shopping and card payments
    • Downloading software and files from reputable sites
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
ASUS X555UA
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6500U CPU @ 2.50GHz 2.59 GHz
8GB RAM
1TB HDD
Notable changes
Increased Security of UAC, Exploit Settings set to default and enabled DEP for for everything that it can be used for. Disabled Attachment preview in Outlook.
Feedback preference

Suggestions on the main improvements

Consider replacing HitmanPro with Norton Power Eraser or Kaspersky Virus Removal tool as they are far more effective. You could also tweak Microsoft Defender with ConfigureDefender or DefenderUI. Secure DNS like Quad9 or NextDNS is also a nice addition for web-protection without the need of installing an extension for that.
 
Also,
  • What about a full image system backup solution?
  • And personal documents to cloud service?
Thanks for sharing :)

Hey,

Sorry for the delay. For the system image backup, what are 3 products you would recommend? I used a specific one, backed up the images to an external WD External HDD but the backup(s) were corrupted when I attempted to image the PC and I couldn't recover anything. A question about that - do you personally backup only the system image, or the entire HDD (basically Windows + all programs and files)?

For individual files, right now I've been doing manually uploading them to a cloud provider, which isn't ideal. Any recommendations for a secure (ideally encrypted service, even better if free)?

Thank you both @harlan4096 and @Victor M !
 
Depending on which cloud provider you use you may be able to use a program like SyncBackFree to sync your files to the cloud. I use it to backup my files ( documents, music, pictures etc) to my cloud provider once every 2 weeks, you can set it up so that it does it automatically.
 
Secure DNS like Quad9 or NextDNS is also a nice addition for web-protection without the need of installing an extension for that.
I believe the field should display DNS / Secure DNS options. Legacy DNS server users overlook the field since it displays Secure DNS. What are your opinions about it?
For the system image backup, what are 3 products you would recommend? I used a specific one, backed up the images to an external WD External HDD but the backup(s) were corrupted when I attempted to image the PC and I couldn't recover anything. A question about that - do you personally backup only the system image, or the entire HDD (basically Windows + all programs and files)?
Hasleo Backup Suite is worth trying out. It's fast, reliable, and completely free. Hasleo's restore feature has proven reliable in my test, which I've performed multiple times now. I only backup the system partition.
Discussion Thread - Hasleo Backup Suite 3.0 launches with file backups and other improvements
 
Last edited by a moderator:

Recently browsing

Members who viewed this thread in the last 5 minutes

Back
Top