Advice Request Software like geswall/defensewall/bufferzone

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

tipo

Level 8
Thread author
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
hey guys!
i`m wondering if there are any security softwares like the ones mentioned in the title. free or paid, of course.
these apps were working like this: if apps are coming from untrusted sources ex internet, usb, cd/dvd, the apps were automatically marked as untrusted and ran in an isolated environement. at the end of the installation, or after observing the behaviour of the app installed, you were able to delete all the data created by it or mark it as trusted and let it installed on the pc. please correct me if i`m wrong.
don`t tell me about sandboxie. i allready know it/use it.
i allready looked on alternativeto and other sites like it.

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012
hey guys!
i`m wondering if there are any security softwares like the ones mentioned in the title. free or paid, of course.
these apps were working like this: if apps are coming from untrusted sources ex internet, usb, cd/dvd, the apps were automatically marked as untrusted and ran in an isolated environement. at the end of the installation, or after observing the behaviour of the app installed, you were able to delete all the data created by it or mark it as trusted and let it installed on the pc. please correct me if i`m wrong.
don`t tell me about sandboxie. i allready know it/use it.
i allready looked on alternativeto and other sites like it.
Probably Comodo Firewall..??

Venustus

Level 59
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 30, 2012

tipo

Level 8
Thread author
Well-known
Jul 26, 2012
I believe you can...Have not used it in quite a while..But yes you can do what you ask.
Look here about how one member used Comodo
thanks alot @venustus ! auto containment on. hips off (no need to notify me as long as app is contained), fw on. tested with a dozen of new malware samples and all contained. their av engine is pretty weak. after resetting the container all is gone, no malware on the system, no files left.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
I was a huge fan of geswall and had Bufferzone on another computer. Both were great. Today, I don't think you can go wrong with Comodo firewall with Cruelsister settings. Easy to set up, only a few clicks, and as solid protection as you'll find anywhere.

I have v12.0.0.6882 rather than the latest, which causes minor problems on this laptop. 6882 gives me no trouble. Currently using something else, but I always return to Cruel Comodo.

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I had issues with the latest version of Comodo on Windows 20H2. Do you know where I could get a copy of version 12.0.6882 ? Thanks.

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

Gandalf_The_Grey

Level 76
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Apr 24, 2016

Back3

Level 14
Verified
Top Poster
Apr 14, 2019
I checked and had installed version 12.2.2.7036. Maybe the last version that came out 2020/11/26, version 12.2.2.7062 would have fixed the issues?? To try later...

Reactions: Nevi and Venustus

ichito

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Dec 12, 2013
Probably for information only - there is for sure one not mentioned app :cool: It's SysWatch earlier developed as Safe'n'Sec. Free version called Personal is from years closed as project but company still is developing paid commercial versions.

Chuck57

Level 9
Verified
Well-known
Oct 22, 2018
No trouble here. At the time I downloaded it, I also had Voodooshield on board. No alert from VS. I downloaded v.6882 from the site on recommendation from Comodo Forums. I'd think if there was malware attached, they wouldn't advise people of the download.

Moderator, if you feel it wise, go ahead and delete the link. Better to be safe than sorry, just in case VS missed a bug.

SomeRandomCat

Level 3
Well-known
Dec 23, 2020
Probably for information only - there is for sure one not mentioned app :cool: It's SysWatch earlier developed as Safe'n'Sec. Free version called Personal is from years closed as project but company still is developing paid commercial versions.
I got to say that their website is absolutely horrible. I imagine if they re-designed it and made it easier to navigate, included screenshots and comparison charts, they would get a lot more business.

It seems like a bad move that they don't offer the personal version anymore. If anything, they could have kept it around and charged for it. I guess that's what their Workstation version is?

I remember really liking SysWatch (including the GUI) and thinking it had a lot of potential.

Attachments

• sns.jpg
    sns.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 149
Reactions: Nevi

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.