Something new with the Microsoft Defender Platform v4.18.2011.6-0 ?

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
Today I got a new platform update that has 3 new files(*1) comparing to the previous Platform version and it seems that at least 2 of those are browser protection related.

*1 - This new platform update also came with all available languages not just my system language.

7vfzmPL.png

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
I just noticed every site that's blocked by SmartScreen in Edge is getting blocked by Windows Defender Network Protection in Firefox.
wdnp.png
I haven't tested this in a long time so can't tell if this is related to this new update but this is something I noticed just now.
Edit: Not just Firefox, everywhere outside of Edge.

Last edited:

razorfancy

Level 4
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Nov 27, 2016
I just noticed every site that's blocked by SmartScreen in Edge is getting blocked by Windows Defender Network Protection in Firefox.
View attachment 250393
I haven't tested this in a long time so can't tell if this is related to this new update but this is something I noticed just now.
That probably is happening because use ConfigureDefender tool and set it to high which enables Windows Defender Network Protection, that is why you see "your administrator is not allowing you to access content" in the notification.

Would be great if someone that is not using ConfigureDefender tool and isnt using Edge as their default browser try to do the same test you did.

Also one of the new files mention browser extension and chrome so probably this new files were added to improve the Microsoft Defender Browser Protection Chrome extension.

TXsfIL7.png

Last edited:

SeriousHoax

Level 47
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 16, 2019
That probably is happening because use ConfigureDefender tool and set it to high which enables Windows Defender Network Protection, that is why you see "your administrator is not allowing you to access content" in the notification.

Would be great if someone that is not using ConfigureDefender tool and isnt using Edge as their default browser try to do the same test you did.

Also one of the new files mention browser extension and chrome so probably this new files were added to improve the Microsoft Defender Browser Protection Chrome extension.

TXsfIL7.png
Network Protection is blocking more than it used to a few months ago. But you're right that we need to know if anything works differently now when Network protection of turned off.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.