Troubleshoot Something wrong with Ublock Origin on Google Chrome

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
I have Firefox and Google Chrome with Ublock Origin and HTTPS Everywhere extensions and both browser extensions have the same settings, but for some reason Ublock Origin on Chrome only block 24 or 23% when I'm on Crunchyroll and the videos show ads compare to Firefox Ublock Origin blocked 40 or 29% and no ads in the video on Crunchyroll.

I have tried clear browser cache, cookies, and everything and I also reinstalled Ublock Origin and no luck. I also tried reinstall Chrome and no luck. What is going on? I was shocked when I see ads displayed in the video on Crunchyroll in Chrome with Ublock Origin.

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Well, I did uninstall Chrome and reinstall Chrome.
OK. Sorry I missed that earlier.

Are you asking me to test without any browser settings modify?

I hadn't thought of that. This is very puzzling. Do both of your machines have the same security configuration? I'm out of suggestions, other than to try anything you haven't done just to keep ruling things out by process of elimination.

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
OK. Sorry I missed that earlier.

I hadn't thought of that. This is very puzzling. Do both of your machines have the same security configuration? I'm out of suggestions, other than to try anything you haven't done just to keep ruling things out by process of elimination.

I uploaded video on here: Test 1 - Streamable

Double click the video for pause because there is no actual pause button. You have to double click for pause.

Both machines( secondary and main rig ) have same AV.

Upvote 0

Burrito

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
May 16, 2018
I see I failed to read your OP carefully .... This issue may simply be related to the difference in implementation between browsers as referenced by @Burrito @Windows_Security . It looks like it's Crunchyroll on Firefox for you my friend!

@oldschool... as a diagnostician you hung with it. You worked it. We here at MT commend your service.

So... Oldschool, since learning of Crunchyroll, How many hours have you spent on Crunchyroll? Is it closer to 5 hours, or 10, or 20?

I'm worried we might lose you here at MT..... to of all things.... yes, Crunchyroll.

What the...?

Admittedly, I don't know anything about Crunchyroll.

But I wonder why SumTingWong watches this?

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@oldschool... as a diagnostician you hung with it. You worked it. We here at MT commend your service.

So... Oldschool, since learning of Crunchyroll, How many hours have you spent on Crunchyroll? Is it closer to 5 hours, or 10, or 20?

I'm worried we might lose you here at MT..... to of all things.... yes, Crunchyroll.

View attachment 213479

What the...?

Admittedly, I don't know anything about Crunchyroll.

But I wonder why SumTingWong watches this?
Don't worry, I dislike subscription services. They're a plague now, like the data miners. :devil:

Maybe because sum ting wong? :LOL:

I am not Crunchyroll paid user. To be honest, Crunchyroll doesn't have all anime series that I consider it is worth $10+/month. Heck, pirated anime streaming sites like Animefreak.TV - Watch Anime Online for Free. Subbed & Dubbed or https://animedao.com/ have a lot anime series. I like anime.

I am into a lot of weird stuff that you don't need to know, brother. It is better to not knowing it than knowing it.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
I am not Crunchyroll paid user. To be honest, Crunchyroll doesn't have all anime series that I consider it is worth $10+/month. Heck, pirated anime streaming sites like Animefreak.TV - Watch Anime Online for Free. Subbed & Dubbed or https://animedao.com/ have a lot anime series. I like anime.

I am into a lot of weird stuff that you don't need to know, brother. It is better to not knowing it than knowing it.

No offense intended, my friend. We're in America, "The Land of the Free". BTW: I personally think anime is cool but I just don't make time for it. I absolutely love Japanese animated films. :cool: Japan is the home of some great masters!

Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
No offense intended, my friend. We're in America, "The Land of the Free". BTW: I personally think anime is cool but I just don't make time for it. I absolutely love Japanese animated films. :cool: Japan is the home of some great masters!

Indeed Japan is the home of some great masters. Nissan Skyline GTR is one of the Japan greatest sports cars ever built. But I am still confused why Chrome Ublock Origin is different than Firefox. I thought both should perform the same.

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
But I am still confused why Chrome Ublock Origin is different than Firefox. I thought both should perform the same.

I don't know either. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge than I may be able to help, but even then it may be difficult because it's impossible for others to know all the specifics of your two PCs. It may just be something small that accounts for the different performance on each system. :unsure:

Upvote 0

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
OK, I went to the site to watch in medium mode, with very few static filters. Please try this:

Crunchyroll > noop (not allow)
pagefair.net > noop
segment.io > noop

This got a sample video for me, but it was only to prompt me to sign-up with Crunchyroll. With these noops you can dial up your video and use some trial & error to see what else you might need to block the video ads. I recommend you focus on getting what you want by configuring medium mode and forget about the static filtering for now - just to see what results you get.

May the force be with you Sum Ting Skywalker!

Edit: I'm looking at your test vid you posted above and I see you use 'allow' rules instead of 'noop' rules. I suggest using only 'noop' rules and see if you can get it dialed in with dynamic filtering. It sounds like you visit this site often so it's worth your time configuring it this way.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Cauthern

May 8, 2019
@Cauthern: please don't hijack this thread, if You have issues with malware, please kindly post Your case in this section:

And reading previously this: Staff Note - [MANDATORY] Preparation Guide Before Requesting Malware Removal Help

Thanks
I'm sorry didn't mean to cause a problem.

Upvote 0

Windows_Security

Level 24
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Mar 13, 2016
My top200 works well on crunchylist, no ads :)

1557953736337.png 1557954601029.png

I have a solid dislike against anime. When my son was a kid, he used to wander like a zombie in the morning from his bedroom to the fridge, got something to eat, fell down on the couch, start the TV and suddenly the house was filled with yelling and screaming of action anime, so lucky I can enjoy my coffee in peace in the morning know.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

SumTingWong

Level 28
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 2, 2018
@SumTingWong - please see post #31 above. I can't emphasize enough that you need to use 'noop' rules instead of 'allow' when using dynamic filtering. Proper dynamic filtering should take care of your vid ads.

Alrighty, I will try it

But there is something I don't quite understand. My secondary machine uses the same filters and settings as on my main rig and it does blocked ads in the video on Chrome.

Reactions: oldschool
Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.