Question Sophos antivirus engine

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

cartaphilus

Level 5
Mar 17, 2023
the price is too high in my country. So I am looking for alternative programs
Isn't Sophos Home free? Or was that in the past? I don't use Sophos AV since their engine is something to be desired. You get lighter and better performance from F-secure or ESET. If I recall correctly, few years ago Windows built in defender scored higher than Sophos.

I think Hitman Pro Alert uses Sophos engine. But it's not a full fledged AV it's more along the lines of a secondary backup. A sanity check scanner.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
Hello friends. Which software uses Sophos antivirus engine?
Waredot Internet Security does.

CyberDevil

Level 6
Verified
Well-known
Apr 4, 2021
Waredot Internet Security does.
What an interesting sample of another antivirus, but I think if the author doesn't want to buy a $50 Sophos, it's unlikely he's going to want to buy this for $60 in minimal kit. 😁

I've never understood why non-names just entering the market (or at least not known to anyone) put prices higher than many old and proven players, but that's almost always the case. :unsure:

In general I don't really understand why to look specifically for the Sophos engine, never heard before that they have the best engine on the market or something.

roger_m

Level 41
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 4, 2014
What an interesting sample of another antivirus, but I think if the author doesn't want to buy a $50 Sophos, it's unlikely he's going to want to buy this for $60 in minimal kit. 😁
True, but you can buy their products for just a few dollars from Amazon India. I paid under $4 for a year's license for Waredot Antivirus. For now, it seems that only Internet Security is their only product that is working properly and that isn't for sale on Amazon. But maybe in time it will be.

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello friends. Which software uses Sophos antivirus engine?

Sophos Home, Waredot, digital-defender
Waredot and Digital-Defender only use Sophos's SDK base, which is very poor...
Waredot also uses Mal/Generic.S detection, but both antivirus programs have no access to Intercept X (ML/PE.A detection used only by Sophos Home / Sophos Endpoint).

neven1127

Jun 22, 2021
Clearsight AV used to use Sophus. Not sure if they still do or have a free version ??

Regards Eck:)

ClearSight Antivirus has now joined forces with Zillya! Antivirus​

Popolitus

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Jan 7, 2014
Clearsight AV used to use Sophus. Not sure if they still do or have a free version ??

Regards Eck:)
Clearsight now uses zillya

We’re excited to announce that ClearSight Antivirus has now joined forces with Zillya! Antivirus, becoming a part of our global family. This development has expanded our reach, allowing us to serve our comprehensive, state-of-the-art antivirus products to all visitors worldwide. So, explore our site today and experience the top-tier security solutions Zillya! Antivirus provides!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Shadowra

Level 34
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Malware Tester
Well-known
Sep 2, 2021
Hello,
Is SOPHOS antivirus reliable and efficient for home users ?
Also is it light ?

Hello :)

It's been a long time since I tested it...
When I tested it over 1 year ago, Web detection was very good. Its AV engine, however, had trouble detecting some forms of malware... And it had a lot of trouble cleaning up detected elements (either it didn't delete, or it didn't analyze everything, so the interceptor had to manage everything).
I don't know if it has evolved yet.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.