Advice Request Sophos Home Free resource usage.

Please provide comments and solutions that are helpful to the author of this topic.

Andrew999

Level 24
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 17, 2014
Hello,

I was wondering what the resource usage is in Sophos Home free because it looks like quite a good Antivirus especially since it has AI and Machine learning detections. I am looking to replace Zemana Anti Malware 3 because I am a bit disappointed in the company they have not been replying to my support requests and development speed is very slow to none.

When I used the Beta about a year ago, it had very high disk usage so I am wondering what it is like now. If it is high I wonder if there are any other light alternatives like Kaspersky Cloud Free, Avira free?

oldschool

Level 81
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 29, 2018
Tried Sophos Home trial recently and it slowed my machine, which is what some others have also reported. OTOH some say it quiets down after a couple of days. I didn't wait.

Wise Vector StopX is light and powerful but no web filter. Active development with new version coming soon.

mkoundo

Level 8
Verified
Well-known
Jul 21, 2017
Does anyone know if they incorporated hitman pro's engine in the free version? or are they still only offering it in the paid?

I tried sophos home premium (30 day free trial) yesterday and yes, hitman pro alert was running in the background. Not sure if it's still avaialble in the free version.Went back to my old config as sophos slowed down my computer, especially web browsing. Too bad....

Paul.R

Level 17
Verified
Well-known
May 16, 2013
Resource so "them" high on macOS(latest update), I have tested 1 month ago...but very good web protection, good self defense, very good business product with the pre-breach forensic intelligence(from Invincea - also I don't think this feature you will see in home user products) and many others features.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
Much much heavier than Kaspersky. Is its protection better or worse, though? I don't see any reason why choose an inferior product with higher resource usage. Also the premium trial they force you to activate at the beginning is awful. I don't care about the premium version.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
Much much heavier than Kaspersky. Is its protection better or worse, though? I don't see any reason why choose an inferior product with higher resource usage. Also the premium trial they force you to activate at the beginning is awful. I don't care about the premium version.
I personally would say that Kaspersky and Sophos are both very good in terms to protection. I used Sophos for quite a while and didn't have performance issues tbh. After all i would probably take Sophos cause it doesnt have any fancy extra features that nobody needs. As Paul said it also has a great web protection, and that even without an extension.

Nagisa

Level 7
Verified
Jul 19, 2018
I personally would say that Kaspersky and Sophos are both very good in terms to protection. I used Sophos for quite a while and didn't have performance issues tbh. After all i would probably take Sophos cause it doesnt have any fancy extra features that nobody needs. As Paul said it also has a great web protection, and that even without an extension.

No doubt it has a good protection, but my experience wasn't good at all. Very high memory, cpu and disk usage. Maybe its performance impact is not perceivable on SSDs, but I have HDD.

Kongo

Level 35
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Feb 25, 2017
No doubt it has a good protection, but my experience wasn't good at all. Very high memory, cpu and disk usage. Maybe its performance impact is not perceivable on SSDs, but I have HDD.
Well, Sophos is still quite "new" to the home-version business i guess. When did you last test it? They rolled out the Version 3 some weeks ago, might have fixed the performance issues.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.