How it's used?
For home and private use
Operating system
Windows 10
Log-in security
Security updates
Allow security updates
User Access Control
Notify me only when programs try to make changes to my computer (do not dim my desktop)
Real-time security
Across my systems, I have:
Main Gaming System - Avast (File, Web and Behaviour Shields) + Comodo Firewall (6882 build - Cruel Setings)
Secondary Gaming System - Kaspersky Internet Security 21
Production/Casual/Shared System - WiseVector StopX + Windows Defender with Comodo Firewall (6882 build - Cruel Settings)
Firewall security
About custom security
Mainly default settings with some minor tweaks.
Periodic malware scanners
None needed
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Don't Track Me Google, Ublock Origin and The Great Suspender (Chrome)/Auto Tab Discard (Firefox)
Maintenance tools
Bleachbit/CCleaner/PrivaZer
EaseUS Partition Manager
File and Photo backup
Paragon Backup & Recovery/AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free)
System recovery
Paragon Backup & Recovery/AOMEI Backupper Standard (Free)
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Browsing to popular websites
Computer specs
Republic of Gamers Gaming Laptop, i7, 16GB RAM, GeForce GTX 860M, 2 HDDs
Notable changes
19th August 2020 - After a week of tests, decided to settle once again for ESET.
Performance gain is minimal in comparison to KIS/MES however every little helps, specially for gaming.

25th August 2020 - ESET Internet Security installed in my other system while the Gaming system is now running Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 (Latest patch); installed Kaspersky Protection browser extension.

27th August 2020 - Removed Kaspersky due to some problems with Path of Exile. Too lazy to troubleshoot, so reinstalled ESET Internet Security and imported my settings and rules.

31st August 2020 - since I have multiple systems and several solutions installed across the systems, I listed the 3 security solutions I use.

4th September 2020 - Updated Browser extensions (removed obsolete ones): Don't Track Me Google, Ublock Origin and The Great Suspender (Chrome)/Auto Tab Discard (Firefox)

7th September 2020 - Reinstalled ESET Internet Security:
ESET: Default Settings + HTTPS checking disabled + HIPS on Smart Mode

9th September 2020 - Out goes ESET replaced by KIS 2020 tweaked

18th September 2020 - Been testing for a week extensively on my gaming system Norton Security. Good enough for my needs.

9th October 2020 - One gaming system is now running Kaspersky Internet Security 21 with my custom settings (published in MT) while the other gaming system is running WiseVector StopX with Comodo Firewall (cruelsister settings).

17th October 2020 - Main Gaming System now runs Avast (File, Web and Behaviour Shields) + Comodo Firewall (6882 build - Cruel Setings)

18th October 2020 - Rolled back to 1909 Windows 10 from 2004

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Despite after so many years of using different Security Solutions and Combos, I keep going back to McAfee Endpoint Security and as always I am reminded there was no reason really to move away from it. I cannot really recommend to most home users since its an Endpoint Solution but if you are able to buy/interested in Endpoint Solutions for personal use, then I fully recommend it.

My configuration can be considered minimal but secured enough, specially for my needs.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Looks like I am having a higher system impact with KIS as opposed to McAfee Endpoint Security.
WIll require some testing but most likely in next 12 hours I will revert back to McAfee Endpoint Security and do some further tweaks.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
Looks like I am having a higher system impact with KIS as opposed to McAfee Endpoint Security.
WIll require some testing but most likely in next 12 hours I will revert back to McAfee Endpoint Security and do some further tweaks.
Not sure about performance but in MacAfee I remember having so much to twaek and play with that made Kaspersky consumer version pretty dull in comparison .

But I do use Kaspersky on my gaming computer since I downloaded so many mods and ##### that I need more balanced FPs response in that machine.

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
McAfee Endpoint is different from the normal consumer versions.

Ill take some screenshots later
No need I used the endpoint security version ENS .
Has so many features but I still use SEP(on premise) on my main pc
Other computers in my house excluding a gaming PC(KFA) and very low end one (CF) run SEP on premise .

As for Gaming I would choose Kaspersky(stronger by default) or ESET(lighter) all the way because you will download like 100+ mod files per game and it's not ideal to use an endpoint security product because it's just an annoyance in that regard .
And I will never use a gaming computer with work or even logging into my own email as well I won't use steam with personal details (debt card and fake Id ) and I would use an isolated networking as well .

Last edited:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
As for Gaming I would choose Kaspersky(stronger by default) or ESET(lighter) all the way because you will download like 100+ mod files per game and it's not ideal to use an endpoint security product because it's just an annoyance in that regard .
This is where you are wrong, Endpoint security or Home Security software behave similar. At least for ESET/McAfee. There are key differences but not on the modules that is present on both, and it wont affect any downloads either since i dont download mods.

And I will never use a gaming computer with work or even logging into my own email as well I won't use steam with personal details (debt card and fake Id ) and I would use an isolated networking as well .
My system is protected enough that i can use it for both gaming and working from home. There is enough security even from work environment.
There is no need to be extra paranoid.

As for 19th Aug change log, switched to Eset for now.

blackice

Level 38
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Apr 1, 2019
This is where you are wrong, Endpoint security or Home Security software behave similar. At least for ESET/McAfee. There are key differences but not on the modules that is present on both, and it wont affect any downloads either since i dont download mods.

My system is protected enough that i can use it for both gaming and working from home. There is enough security even from work environment.
There is no need to be extra paranoid.

As for 19th Aug change log, switched to Eset for now.
I think this is a reasonable approach. Not every gamer is downloading 100s of ROMs/cracks/mods. Some of us only use official stores and also use our home computers for daily uses. No need to go overboard.

Also I have a soft spot for ESET.

Last edited:

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016
I think this is a reasonable approach. Not every gamer is downloading 100s or ROMs/cracks/mods. Some of us only use official stores and also use our home computers for daily uses. No need to go overboard.

Also I have a soft spot for ESET.
Still even using popular websites for mods caused a huge false positives with most endpoint and a lot of consumer products.

But since you don't require mods to have a good experience gaming then it's fine .

Anyway I would recommend if this PC is used for emails or any work related with gaming at least deny outbound connections assuming you can live without a multiplayer game and use a dedicated machine for that kind of somewhat risky workload that has to be able to send information to "random" machines.
And don't forget to isolate/ reduce local access networking on the dedicated gaming machine .

Last edited:

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
25th August 2020 - ESET Internet Security installed in my other system while the Gaming system is now running Kaspersky Internet Security 2020 (Latest patch - Patch A); installed Kaspersky Protection browser extension.
2020-08-25 15_56_29-Window.png

Similar tweaks to @harlan4096 settings available here applied where applicable.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Removed Kaspersky due to some problems with Path of Exile. Too lazy to troubleshoot, so reinstalled ESET Internet Security and imported my settings and rules.

HIPS is on Policy Based but before changing to such mode, I had Learning mode on for a few days to have all operations learnt before applying Policy Based.

Soulbound

Thread author
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
31st August 2020 - since I have multiple systems and several solutions installed across the systems, I listed the 3 security solutions I use.

McAfee Endpoint Security - light gaming system and mainly normal usage system + backup system
ESET Internet Security - Gaming system used by son
Kaspersky Internet Security - My main gaming system

Vitali Ortzi

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 12, 2016

McAfee Endpoint Security - light gaming system and mainly normal usage system + backup system
ESET Internet Security - Gaming system used by son
Kaspersky Internet Security - My main gaming system
Really good choices all can be configerd to act as default deny .

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.