About custom security
Limiting apps from outside Play Store
Scan all unknown sources
Periodic malware scanners
Google Advanced Protection
Malware sample testing
I do not participate in malware testing
Browser(s) and extensions
Bitwarden, Pocket, Windscribe, uBlock Origin, HTTPS Everywhere, Stylus, Violentmonkey, The Great Suspender, Pandora, Clip Cloud, LinkPeelr, SponsorBlock, Recorded Future Express, WebRTC Network Limiter, Universal Bypass, Bypass Paywalls
Maintenance tools
SD Maid Pro (Android)
File and Photo backup
Google One
System recovery
Google One
Risk factors
    • Gaming
    • Logging into my bank account
    • Browsing to popular websites
    • Streaming audio/video content from shady sites
    • Browsing to unknown / untrusted / shady sites
    • Working from home
    • Streaming audio/video content from trusted sites or paid subscriptions
Computer specs
Notable changes
22nd August - Initial, removed Guest mode, updated to 84. Updated screenshots.
20th September - Added & configured Tor browser.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Two years ago I switched from Windows to Chrome OS and I have never looked back.

The reasoning was quite easy actually. I spent most of my time in the Chrome browser on Windows 10 and I was trying to figure out if I could spend it all inside that browser. I initially bought a cheap Chromebook just to try out my hypothesis and after a year I realized that I could do it all as long as I have enough RAM so I upgraded to a Pixelbook Go.

Software Level:
I use my VPN's malware/malvertising domain filter, Chrome's built-in Enhanced Protection (safebrowsing), and Google Advanced Protection as my layers. Due to its design all processes are sandboxed at the software level and no malware can escape to cause damage or even execute. Guest mode is disabled.

Hardware Level:
On hardware-level, Google enforces verified boot, and a signed coreboot that checks that all firmware is signed and legit. It has a Titan TPM built-in and I use Titan security keys along with a long password to sign in. Unknown USB devices cannot run until sign on (Device Guard).

pixelbook.jpg

screenshot-2020-08-22 - Edited.jpg

screenshot2.jpg

Screenshot 2020-08-21 at 18.38.55.png

Last edited:

Lenny_Fox

Level 22
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 1, 2019
Last year (before Corona) I was on a business trip with a colleague who also has a Chromebook. I was surprised that it only cost him less than 10 euro to get Wifi on the air plane. My biggest concern about Chromebook always needing an online connection does not seem to be a problem at all.

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Chromebooks and iPads are probably the safest solutions for many people, who use computers for simple tasks. It seems that the area of productivity is bigger each year.
Many Chromebooks allow installing MS Office Mobile applications (Android Apps support):

Google has also interesting plans to integrate Windows applications to Chromebooks (for enterprises) via Microsoft Project Reunion:

Anyway, Microsoft will push Windows 10X in the next year to compete with Chromebooks. This will be interesting.:)
There are many articles on the web about Chromebooks vs. Windows machines for people who are not decided, for example:

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
If he wanted to play games, then he probably did not buy a laptop for that.:)
Ill highlight in Bold the reason why i asked that. Taken from OP security config:

Backup scheduleOnce or more per weekComputer Activity
  • Playing computer games
  • Online banking
  • Browsing the web and checking emails
  • Streaming movies, TV shows and music from the Internet
  • Downloading files from different websites
  • Office and other work-related software (Work from Home)
  • Learning computer languages or creating apps

Andy Ful

From Hard_Configurator Tools
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Developer
Well-known
Dec 23, 2014
Ill highlight in Bold the reason why i asked that. Taken from OP security config:

Backup scheduleOnce or more per weekComputer Activity
  • Playing computer games
  • Online banking
  • Browsing the web and checking emails
  • Streaming movies, TV shows and music from the Internet
  • Downloading files from different websites
  • Office and other work-related software (Work from Home)
  • Learning computer languages or creating apps
Ha, ha. Your question was perfectly reasonable. But, the answer is probably very simple: games that can be played via a web browser, android games, many Linux games, etc. (but no serious gaming with Intel UHD Graphics 615).

Last edited:
F

ForgottenSeer 78429

I do wonder what computer games you are playing with that OS and Hardware.
If ChromeOS supports android apps then finding games shouldn't be an issue. It has i7 8th gen and I am sure it can run all mobile games. I play COD Mobile on my mobile and latest update is just awesome (Gunsmith on CODMobile) as they are bringing more COD Warzone features to COD Mobile.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
@SpiderWeb,
Do you see any difference between gaming on your Chromebook and Windows Laptop?
The Linux environment in Chrome OS is a virtual machine so gaming feels like that. It is easier to think of it as an emulator. Integrated graphics + emulation through VM is taxing on both platforms and suboptimal although Chrome OS/Intel have done a great job to make people barely notice that you are essentially running an emulator. If I had a dedicated GPU I could tell you more on whether the sluggishness I experience in bigger 3D games is due to the iGPU or input lag. Game peripherals are easier to install and use on Chromebook. I'm primarily streaming modern 3D games through xCloud, Stadia and GeForce Now since I have Gigabit Internet. I only play lighter and older games directly on my Chromebook hardware

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
I'm primarily streaming modern 3D games through xCloud, Stadia and GeForce Now since I have Gigabit Internet. I only play lighter and older games directly on my Chromebook hardware
Between the three, which is your preferred? Any Pro's/Con's you've experienced? Which controllers are compatible? Can you connect an external "gaming" Keyboard/Mouse to the device?

@Soulbound

NVIDIA GeForce Now
Microsoft xCloud + Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (Cloud Gaming) - Includes XBL Gold.
Google Stadia + Controller or Premiere Edition Bundle (for TV)

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
Between the three, which is your preferred? Any Pro's/Con's you've experienced? Which controllers are compatible? Can you connect an external "gaming" Keyboard/Mouse to the device?

@Soulbound

NVIDIA GeForce Now
Microsoft xCloud + Xbox Game Pass Ultimate (Cloud Gaming) - Includes XBL Gold.
Google Stadia + Controller or Premiere Edition Bundle (for TV)
Im a user of NVIDIA but didnt reallize it would work on chromebook.

Google Stadia is the most expensive option and it was not what initially was supposed to be delivered, including severe lag etc. I tried Google Stadia since my friend bought it. I rather use NVIDIA over Stadia.

MS service is something I never followed, only briefly heard about it.

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
@Spawn GeForce Now because of the pricing and Steam integration. It just works and you don't have to buy from their library. $5 per month is a steal. It's the most resilient connection and the only one that cooperates with a VPN. It doesn't drop you out when you're having connectivity hiccups. Stadia and xCloud kick you off the server right away and you have to restart the game in xCloud which is annoying. GeForce Now just works the way you think it should work. No demands from the user. Pain tolerance is a function of price and to me the price/pain ratio is too high for xCloud and Stadia so once my Game Pass Ultimate runs out I will drop it for GeForce Now. There are other great providers like Shadow but at that price point? No. :D

Also your other question. People who are happy clickers, this is the real time malware protection in action. I think this tar.gz has an encryption script in it for a custom WireGuard config. Google did not like that. In general Google will block and delete any unknown program that can encrypt files, probably assuming they are ransomware. It will block almost all unknown or malicious files, folders, compressed or not. Password protected zip files get flagged immediately, it does not trust those by default.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 14.25.00.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 14.25.00.png
    68.4 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
For some reason neither uBlock Origin nor Windscribe are sufficient to block WebRTC if you go to Connection check | Mullvad VPN and What is my IP Address
So I added a WebRTC Network Limiter (set to Proxy) and a few extensions to really cover my bases. I also rediscovered LocalCDN which has been vastly reworked. It's now a fork off Decentraleyes and frequently updated.

Added:
-WebRTC Network Limiter
-Universal Bypass
-Bypass Paywalls
-LocalCDN

Removed:
-Link to Text Fragment
-Pass Protect

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 20.10.16.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 20.10.16.png
    74.5 KB · Views: 242
  • Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 20.05.51.png
    Screenshot 2020-08-26 at 20.05.51.png
    297.1 KB · Views: 236
Last edited:

SpiderWeb

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Aug 21, 2020
Not sure if I would trust Mullvad's connection check. Are they just trying to upsell a product?
True. But regardless of what they are trying to upsell, WebRTC shouldn't be leaking in any way to anyone so I always check websites for the most advanced WebRTC leak tests to see if my double hop was truly holding up. Both the Windscribe extension and the uBlock Origin extension failed even though I have it set in both. Even though neither revealed my true ISP IP, they leaked the IPs of both VPN servers that I was connected to in double hop. WebRTC Network Limiter by Google (irony) is the only one that enforces that all browser traffic goes through the proxy/VPN.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.