Troubleshoot Start button does not work...

woodrowbone

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Hi guys, since Windows 10 Pro V1709 was released I have seen a strange behavior, that the start and search button in the taskbar does not work anymore.
In some lucky cases you can get the button to work when the computer is freshly rebooted, but more the often the button is dead.
I have been reinstalling W10 on a few computers so many times now I lost count , just to test if I can find if there is a app that is incompatible with the new release.
But no, this behavior just pops up when it feels like it.
To make things more weird I have just seen this on HP computers, but that is maybe due to most of my costumers use HP.

Any of you guys encountered this as of yet?

/W

Kubla

Level 8
Verified
Jan 22, 2017
I had the same problem this is how fixed my mine.

Open Regedit and go to;
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\WpnUserService

add a DWORD (32bit) "DelayedAutostart" and set it to 1
add a DWORD (32bit) "AutoStartDelay" and set it to 10 (this gives it a 10 second delay you could go higher or lower but 10 seems to work just fine for me.)

My start menu has worked fine since.

Upvote 0

woodrowbone

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
Code:
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/windows-10-start-menu-troubleshooter

Microsoft finds this issue big enough to make a tool???
Why not just release a update checking for the problem, helping all clueless.

Thank you so far guys, I will be testing this out next week :)

/W

Reactions: vtqhtr413
Upvote 0

Faybert

Level 24
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 8, 2017
It was one of the things that almost always happened to me when I used Windows 10, in addition to other bugs, the solution was to go back to Windows 8.1.

Reactions: Prorootect
Upvote 0

woodrowbone

Level 10
Thread author
Verified
Dec 24, 2011
So far I only tested on a HP laptop, the tool does not work...big surprise there Microsoft...
Maybe they should learn from Kubla, thx man, your reg tweak did the trick! (y)

/W

Upvote 0

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.