Started Building My RIG ! Need Suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Hello every one, I have started building a new RIG and It would take a long time to complete it for sure. So I am starting of with the components that are in common and to be useful for my current PC too.
With this I am seeking some good suggestions from you MT members and help me develop this Rig to an optimum build.
So here is my first step.
1. Help me choose a UPS to power up my router as well as future components:
checkmark%20-%20small.png
Done - Purchased APC BR1000G-IN

2. Help me choose a Desktop Monitor
Done - Purchased
http://www.lg.com/in/monitors/lg-22MP56HQ

3. Can you help me choose a gaming Keyboard and Mouse
Done-Purchased circle Adroit X7C Wired USB Gaming Keyboard - circle : Flipkart.com

4. I am now seeking for a cabinet for my future machine, can anynone suggest me a 50-80$ cabinet
question_mark_small.png

Done-Purchased http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00002890

5. Completed my build, check out :
https://malwaretips.com/threads/purshu_pros-new-rig-2016.62818/

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
A UPS is not a necessity.It is better than regular surge protectors but usually a regular surge protector will be sufficient enough.
However I think they are a good idea and a better one depending on your location.

The main reasons where you would benefit from using a UPS are:
  • If you live in an area with unreliable power or rural areas.Some countries such as India have unreliable power.
  • In a brown out and low voltage situations where a regular surge protector is pretty much useless
  • They also allow you more room for connecting all devices to the same surge protection which all components should be connected to the same surge protection before they are connected to the buildings power supply.
  • Backup power to shutdown a PC properly in loss of power situations.These would be especially useful while performing computer tasks such as flashing a BIOS where if interrupted would not be a good thing.
I don't use one now where I reside but I also have a home in Florida where I would consider using one because of frequent thunderstorms
For the most part I think cost might be a deciding factor as these are more or less in the same ballpark

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
A UPS is not a necessity.It is better than regular surge protectors but usually a regular surge protector will be sufficient enough.
However I think they are a good idea and a better one depending on your location.

The main reasons where you would benefit from using a UPS are:
  • If you live in an area with unreliable power or rural areas.Some countries such as India have unreliable power.
  • In a brown out and low voltage situations where a regular surge protector is pretty much useless
  • They also allow you more room for connecting all devices to the same surge protection which all components should be connected to the same surge protection before they are connected to the buildings power supply.
  • Backup power to shutdown a PC properly in loss of power situations.These would be especially useful while performing computer tasks such as flashing a BIOS where if interrupted would not be a good thing.
I don't use one now where I reside but I also have a home in Florida where I would consider using one because of frequent thunderstorms
For the most part I think cost might be a deciding factor as these are more or less in the same ballpark
Thank you, my Country and especially our State/City filled with corrupt politicians do not do their job in bringing/providing proper power supply. We can't expect when the power fails and they do it without even proper notifications in papers or media. So for my case I may need primarily for powering router and a future LED Monitor. So I have found those four UPS reliable ones in my country and the big name holds for APC and Cyber Power. If I had to choose one within those which would be better and safe?

Last edited:
Reactions: Hangtooth

DracusNarcrym

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Oct 16, 2015
UPS is quite essential, in my opinion, especially if you have a high-end, desktop PC (no battery like laptops or tablets). A sudden power cut isn't that bad, but it isn't good either (like I explained in my comment on the profile post you posted a while ago).

In my opinion, APC is the best UPS manufacturer BY FAR. The quality of their products is much greater than their competitors (performance, efficiency, durability), however do note that their prices are considerably higher.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
UPS is quite essential, in my opinion, especially if you have a high-end, desktop PC (no battery like laptops or tablets). A sudden power cut isn't that bad, but it isn't good either (like I explained in my comment on the profile post you posted a while ago).

In my opinion, APC is the best UPS manufacturer BY FAR. The quality of their products is much greater than their competitors (performance, efficiency, durability), however do note that their prices are considerably higher.
I remember your early thoughts about suggesting me the reliable UPS, and what was blocking me is the price tag when compared to other Company manufacturers. So When I went on a research I was able to find that there are some competitors who are offering products with lower price tag and with same specs. So I was confused to take a smart move!

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Most are reliable however like anything the bigger the brand name the bigger the price tag.If you can find one with similar specs at a lower price I would say go with that

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I buy 99.9% of my hardware from Canada's biggest mail order vendor, who luckily has a retail location 2 blocks from me.

They have a great website for user reviews and ratings. Don't buy from them obviously, but whatever category you look at the top ten most popular items are usually pretty good choices. To that effect, here's the lineup for UPS:

http://www.ncix.com/category/power-management-df-1036.htm

Cyberpower seems very popular and highly rated, perhaps even more so than APC at number 5/10, but then again, some shoppers value price over quality, Hopefully this just gives you ideas of companies to look at that are available local to you. The user reviews at NCIX are usually spot on, unlike some other place. Been a happy customer there for 20+ years now. I swear by their reviews.

Maybe @DracusNarcrym can take a peek and see what he thinks of Cyberpower, I have never looked into UPS devices so I am sure he can tell you if they make good products far better than I can.

Just found this though: "Speaking as someone with over 10 years in IT, I second this. We're mainly an APC shop and they've been incredibly good to us over the years. CyberPower has been kind of iffy (we have dirty power in our area)."

and

"We ended up getting rid of all our Cyberpower units and replacing them with more expensive APCs. Why? Because the Cyberpower's misbehaved a lot and their technical support would do nothing to help track down the problem. They would turn off power to our servers for no reason, basically. The APCs that replaced them have been using the same power source and have worked flawlessly for the last 4ish years."

but

"I used to be a big fan of the APC backups, but I only used them for lower requirements (running router/modem/voip etc). However I've had very good luck with CyberPower lately."

Choosing an UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply) • /r/buildapc

Summary: I think I'd agree if you have a shoddy power grid, go for a good APC even if it costs you more! It seems to be the gold standard in UPS that everybody else compares their product to. Lots of good info in that Reddit thread, even if it's a year old. UPS technology doesn't change that fast. The Cyberpower ones might be equal for a home user, I'd check out that thread and google some =)

Last edited:
Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
My next component is going for a monitor, so I have researched the entire web for the monitors that are available in my country and I foun Dell S2216H possessing some good features that I may need. So what would your suggestion be for choosing a monitor?

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
This one at least on paper has everything I'd be looking for: 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz support native, has an HDMI port to plug things like consoles into if you ever want to, is good build quality, has good reviews from my quick google. It also has a good warranty (3 years) and what seem to be good speakers built in. If I was buying a new monitor today it would definitely be a contender.

My only question is do you need built-in speakers or not? These ones are good but if you have a good set of computer speakers already, you might be able to find a similar model cheaper without speakers. The speakers do seem nice, so even if you don't need them right now they might be nice later when you move it to another system.

The only caveat may be that the screen has a glossy finish. As mentioned in the youtube unboxing comments, it might reflect too much light if you use it in bright surroundings.

This unboxing video shows a good quality product overall:

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
This one at least on paper has everything I'd be looking for: 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz support native, has an HDMI port to plug things like consoles into if you ever want to, is good build quality, has good reviews from my quick google. It also has a good warranty (3 years) and what seem to be good speakers built in. If I was buying a new monitor today it would definitely be a contender.

My only question is do you need built-in speakers or not? These ones are good but if you have a good set of computer speakers already, you might be able to find a similar model cheaper without speakers. The speakers do seem nice, so even if you don't need them right now they might be nice later when you move it to another system.

The only caveat may be that the screen has a glossy finish. As mentioned in the youtube unboxing comments, it might reflect too much light if you use it in bright surroundings.

This unboxing video shows a good quality product overall:

I have already seen this review and this is the one video which has impressed me to go with the product. I do have Dell External speakers and with that as u said I might not want an additional speakers which would cost me a bit more. So as I have been researching I was able know that IPS panel are much better than Vesa and TN panel, with that they provide good viewing angle too. So If an alternative is recommended by your side which would it be?

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
Great question, and one I didn't even consider myself when I purchased my current monitor 2 or 3 years ago now. The one I am using is a TN and it *is* a gaming model (specs RL2450H/HT Gaming Monitor | BenQ Gaming Monitor). The TN works fine for me, but I am somewhat red/green colour blind so I am not the best judge of colour richness and fidelity =) I have not noticed any of the supposed disadvantages of TN monitors on mine, it's very bright, I have no problem with viewing angle colour shifts, but 98% of the time it's right in front of me anyway when I am using it.

TN vs IPS - it sounds like IPS is for artists and photographers who need perfect colour calibration TN for fast response is best for gaming. I think they are also quite a bit cheaper than IPS. I like the following summary:

"As you have probably gathered by now, there is no single type of LCD that is good at everything. What panel type you choose must be a compromise based on how you use the monitor. Gamers will generally be happy with TN panels and their exceptional response time. Photographers and graphic designers should buy an IPS monitor instead.

If you are a writer or work in any other field where contrast is an important factor you should have a look at a monitor with an MVA or PVA panel. If you use the screen to the little bit of everything, you might choose a TN-based monitor to save money or a high-end IPS with low response time if you won’t settle for just the mere basics." TN Vs. IPS Vs. VA

Only you can decide if you need IPS or TN. Personally I'd just buy a TN but mine sits in front of me always so viewing angles don't matter, it's not wall mounted, and my colour perception isn't all that hot. Works great for games and always looks great to me. i am pretty fussy about monitors too, I once tried 4 different CRTs before finding the right one for me. It seems a LOT easier to find a good LCD now.

As for VESA, I thought that came standard in all monitors now, but I guess some cut it out to save a few dollars on the manufacture. I'd only worry about that if you're planning to wall mount the unit or buy a special monitor arm/stand.

Hope this helps! In an ideal world, you'd actually get to see and touch the monitor you are considering, as every single monitor out there is subtly different and I like to see them side by side. That just doesn't happen anymore, not many places can afford to have several dozen monitors on display and we're forced to pick by web reviews =(

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well @Hangtooth you thanks for a detailed info. Now this would change my mindset for choosing different monitors. I have found some more monitors so check through it. If I find some more I will update it.

L

LabZero

Your APC is a very good UPS (Line interactive technology) that has a good price/features. In this type of UPS incoming current is filtered just in case of dangerous voltage changes (even small variations in some UPS are corrected). In the case of serious power failure, the inverter activates the batteries powering with clean electricity the connected devices. The trip time is in the order of 5ms.

About the monitor: response time, frame rate and refresh rate are the main features that you have to look before you buy a monitor. Response time is the number of milliseconds that a pixel takes to change Its state on the screen (this parameter is crucial for gaming, and must be as low as possible); the framerate which denotes the number of frames per second "rendered" from your computer's graphics card (FPS) and refresh rate which represents the refresh rate of the screen image, the number of times the image is redrawn on the screen every second (measured in Hz). The last two parameters are better when they are high.

You can also take a look at this (24") BenQ GL2450HM Flicker Free LED Monitor | BenQ Global

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Is this a gaming rig?
Yes, but with little lower budget:)
Main question is what will you do with your rig... Even Dell S2216H is a great choice I would go with bigger monitor with better response time like Benq Klipsh recommended
Of course for Gaming. But with that since now I am learning lot of IT stuffs, Testing in VMware, Multitasking, Web Development, Photo Editing for Web Designing and etc.. I have seen many builds with very expensive price tags, but I am not into that range, I don't want a super Military Computer but a "Good For All" toy! So in future I should not feel guilt for not having a better PC and think as "Uff If I only had a BETTER PC ! ".:)

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
I feel it would be sufficient if I just go with a 22 inch monitor. There is only a slight difference in the size but vast difference in the price. So as I was checking through in my country the SAMSUNG 24" monitor is unavailable and instead a 22" series SAMSUNG S22D300H is available for a better price. And with that I am able to see that this BenQ model do have some quiet reputation and I am only worried is about their Tilt functionalities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.