Started Building My RIG ! Need Suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I have the 24" Benq and my wife has a 22" Benq of a different (non-gamer) model right beside me, hers looks just as good to me. It doesn't have super fast refresh rates for gaming, but she doesn't play any.

So long as you make sure it's 1920x1080 @ 60 Hz in native resolution, you'll be fine whether it's 24 or 22 inches! Honestly any of the well-rated Benq or Samsungs will be great. The Dell one you first listed is also nice, but the thing with Dell monitors is that *somebody* makes them, they just slap their brand on it as far as I know, unless they started making their own in the last few years.

Ask your local friends, if they have a monitor you like check it out. Also be sure to check out youtube for 'unboxing' videos. they usually let you see very well what kind of mounting they come with.

We have a Samsung back-lit LED TV we love, they make really good products too. Can anybody else recommend popular brands to look for for Purshu_Pro?

Reactions: Purshu_Pro

Hangtooth

Level 5
Verified
Dec 5, 2015
I was going to say viewing angles don't matter as much for computers, but I guess I'd be wrong - mine is listed at 170 degrees and I can see the shift. I just usually look straight on, but the vertical viewing angle is pretty crucial to me as I might be standing or sitting.

Last edited:

Exterminator

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Oct 23, 2012
Some things are worth going big on and putting more cash towards and IMO a monitor is one of them.The bigger the better and trust me you will be happy you did.I would say go with at least a 24" monitor

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
In the case of monitor, everything range from 15 inches to 20 inches are fine at all as long you have enough space to put them. + You may add another one to make it as business outlook.

Those brands that mentioned are reliable and worth of a penny; I've never encounter any monitor issue during my past experience of using desktop setups.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Well after all the positive feedback and of suggesting a 24" monitor I feel like I really want one. @BoraMurdar I feel your suggestion of the BenQ Monitor is the right one for me and I also found another monitor which may be a choice: BenQ EW2440L. So both have very small difference in price ranges and my choice would be of your recommendations friends.:)

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
I will still go with TN panel (Benq GL2460HM) model :)
TN Vs. IPS Vs. VA
When choosing a computer monitor, always take into account the type of panel display uses in addition to the other technical specifications. Flat screens LCD monitors primarily use three different panel types: TN, IPS or VA (in its different forms). The choice of panel is very important, as it determines whether the monitor is responsive enough for your first-person shooters, good at reproducing colors if you work with design or photography, or in some cases both.

Different Monitor Panel Types

The most common type of panel type is the TN–twisted nematic. The others are Vertical Alignment (VA) and In-Plane switching (IPS). Additionally there are different versions of the latter two display types. VA computer monitors primarily come in two versions: Patterned Vertical Alignment (PVA) and Multi-domain Vertical Alignment (MVA). Each technology has its pros and cons and what to look for depends on what you plan on using your monitor for.

TN

TN (Twisted Nematic) is the most common technology and also the oldest. The main advantage is that it provides the shortest response times, making them good for gaming. In combination with LED back-lighting, TN monitors also offer high brightness and draw less power than competing technologies. Another important factor is that they are cheap to manufacture, resulting in low prices for end users.

The drawbacks to the technology is the color shifts that occur at wider viewing angles. There are large differences in quality between different products, but the lower-end ones will exhibit color shift even at moderate angle changes. A TN-based display can usually be identified through these color distortions when viewing the picture from above or from the sides.

IPS

The main advantages with IPS monitors is that the technology offer noticeably better color reproduction as well as much better viewing angles. The downside used to be a difficulty to emphasize blacks, which in turn meant problems with the contrast. IPS panels were also very expensive and slow in the beginning.

Now the manufacturers have started producing so-called Super-IPS (S-IPS) panels at reasonable prices. Response times have crept down considerably and the contrast is much better. In addition, color display and the options to calibrate the colors are superior to the other panel types. IPS panels keep colors constant, even in sharp angles.

VA – MVA and PVA

Further developments have led to MVA and PVA, where the manufacturers are trying to find a technique that would combine the advantages of both TN and IPS. MVA panels offer good viewing angles and generally better blacks and contrast than either TN or IPS panels. Their response times also look good on paper, but unfortunately not in the real world

Even if the response time for white to black is low, it is often considerably higher between two dark tones, leading to Ghosting effects. Another weakness is the color reproduction, which in itself is better than TN but not as good as IPS. PVA panels are in many ways similar to MVA, but have even better blacks and great contrast. The problem with ghosting remains, however.

Conclusion

As you have probably gathered by now, there is no single type of LCD that is good at everything. What panel type you choose must be a compromise based on how you use the monitor. Gamers will generally be happy with TN panels and their exceptional response time. Photographers and graphic designers should buy an IPS monitor instead.

If you are a writer or work in any other field where contrast is an important factor you should have a look at a monitor with an MVA or PVA panel. If you use the screen to the little bit of everything, you might choose a TN-based monitor to save money or a high-end IPS with low response time if you won’t settle for just the mere basics.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
Thanks @BoraMurdar. @Hangtooth did mention the real advantage of a TN panel over the other types and with this I will go with the above choice of BenQ GL2460HM after this New Year Celebrations and will update the post friends.

Last edited:

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
What I found is that my local retailers state the BenQ GL2460HM is outdated and hence its not available. They are suggesting me to go with BenQ GW2470H. Is it a good choice?

BoraMurdar

Community Manager
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Aug 30, 2012
What I found is that my local retailers state the BenQ GL2460HM is outdated and hence its not available. They are suggesting me to go with BenQ GW2470H. Is it a good choice?
It's ok monitor also... If it's easier for you, give me the price range and catalog of monitors available in your region and I'll chose for you :)

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
It's ok monitor also... If it's easier for you, give me the price range and catalog of monitors available in your region and I'll chose for you :)
Sorry I did not see this reply of yours. Glad I found it atleast now. In India you can visit Flipkart.com and Snapdeal.com which offers variety of collections. And my budget is within 11000 INR (166 $). Hope this much info is sufficient for you to help out.
And is it it a good advice to go with Apple Macbook if I don't want to build a PC?

Soulbound

Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 14, 2015
And is it it a good advice to go with Apple Macbook if I don't want to build a PC?

Depends for what you want to use the Macbook for.

Gaming, you can forget about it. Better off with MSI/ASUS ROG/Origin (Origin being the most expensive here on the list but their custom builts are off the charts): Prepare to fork in some serious cash in general and for the love of god, please stay clear of Alienware.
Casual usage: better off with a mid range laptop: ASUS Zenbooks series/DELL Latitudes or Inspirons series/Lenovo Yoga series/HP Spectre series

In other words, you get most bang for buck by not opting to use an Apple device, unless you really need to or want to.

Purshu_Pro

Level 29
Thread author
Verified
Honorary Member
Aug 3, 2013
IMO, there's absolutely no reason to use any Apple device, whatever the main purpose will be :cool:
:). Taught of ordering one from US;).
Did you go through the links that I redirected for the monitors? No hurry, take your time and reply your suggestions

Ink

Administrator
Verified
Staff Member
Well-known
Jan 8, 2011
Buying an Apple Macbook Pro is not an alternate to buying a custom built PC, so no it's not good advice. However, that doesn't mean not to buy one. If you think you can adapt to the environment of OS X, then please continue. But be aware that Apple do not offer discounts, what you see is what you get, when buying from Apple.com or retailer.

I use both OS X and Windows, and if I didn't buy my latest Windows Gaming Laptop, I would switch over. You can always use VirtualBox or Parallels to access Windows from Mac OS X.

If you are set on a custom built PC, then buying an Apple Macbook Pro/Air would not be advisable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.