shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Get Process Explorer or Process Hacker and study what runs with elevated privileges without the UAC prompt.
I knew you would say something like that :)

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Get Process Explorer or Process Hacker and study what runs with elevated privileges without the UAC prompt.
So it looks like all services, whether security softs or not, run at system level privileges.
Processes that the user manually chooses to run as administrator will run at "high" privileges, which is one step lower.

Reactions: XhenEd

Thread author
So it looks like all services, whether security softs or not, run at system level privileges.
Processes that the user manually chooses to run as administrator will run at "high" privileges, which is one step lower.

Basically. If you study it a bit that's what you will see. One utility has advantages over the other, but basically it is one half dozen, six in the other.

Reactions: XhenEd

cimmay

Level 2
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Do all security softs regularly run with elevated privileges, or only the ones that Windows recognizes as AV?

ZA Anti-Ransom was taken off the Power Applications option in AppGuard. What was evidenced is installing everyday ESET NOD32 AV and seen a popup and part of it said "elevated client". Then after using it a few days AppGuard never once blocked anything about it, and not only that ESET has not one entry in the AG configuration pages. So there's no longer any AG hole created in Power Applications Lockdown warned about.

Reactions: shmu26

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
ZA Anti-Ransom was taken off the Power Applications option in AppGuard. What was evidenced is installing everyday ESET NOD32 AV and seen a popup and part of it said "elevated client". Then after using it a few days AppGuard never once blocked anything about it, and not only that ESET has not one entry in the AG configuration pages. So there's no longer any AG hole created in Power Applications Lockdown warned about.
Yeah, it seems that most AVs do not run into conflicts with AppGuard or need special exceptions.

Reactions: cimmay

Glashouse

Level 4
Verified
Well-known
Jun 4, 2017
Just a quick question. My AppGuard installation is still telling me that it is from BlueRidge... will there be a rebrand?

Second question, is there a counter in the app how long my license is going to run? If I'll purchase for a new year, is it going to extend my current license or just replace it so that it will start from today for one year?

Reactions: shmu26 and XhenEd

blueblackwow65

Level 23
Verified
Well-known
Dec 19, 2012
Hi anyone know how to uninstall appguard ,very hard time ,it stops at service cannot be stopped error when uninstalling?

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
How fast does Appguard protection kick in after system startup, and what happens if a user manages to launch a guarded app before then?
I see that the icon can take a little while to appear in the system tray, but maybe protection starts before that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.