Solved Staying with Windows 7 or upgrade to Windows 8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Guys, I'm really confuse right now. I don't know if I will upgrade my pc to Windows 8 or I will just stick with Windows 7. W7 or W8??? :confused:

D

Deleted member 178

i highly suggest you to clean the system partition after you finish all Windows updates:

1- backup again after win8.1 all updates are done
2- open "Control Panel" > Administrative Tools > Disk Clean Up > select "OS (C)" in fact your system partition > let the tool do its checking > click "Clean Up System Files" > select all > let the tool do its job (it will took long time, since it will delete the "Windows.old" huge file (the previous win8 system files replaced by win8.1 ) and all the backup of Windows Update.
3- if all went fine , reboot , Windows will finish the cleaning during shutdown, long too.
4- install Ccleaner and clean the leftovers.
5- do a backup

now you can install your "must-live-with" softwares. then do a backup again ;)

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks! :)

I have a problem, I couldn't run windows backup. I clicked it several times but it's not running. Is this a bug with Windows 8.1? lol

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

control panel > file history > system image backup (bottom left) > then select where you want store the backup

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
It says that "A system image backup is in progress. Please wait while it completes" even though I'm not creating a system image backup. :confused: What should I do now?

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 178

you sure you don't clicked too fast on something? ^^

it just look for the devices where to put the backup , just wait ;)

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
It worked. But it is still asking to "backup your files" in the maintenance tab of the action center. :(

Upvote 0

King Alpha

Level 25
Thread author
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jun 21, 2013
I used windows backup without any problems in windows 8, but now in windows 8.1, I can't run backup (even I clicked it a lot of times) UAC is not even appearing. Is this a bug? How to get rid of this?

MiNQxvm.jpg

Upvote 0

nissimezra

Level 25
Verified
Apr 3, 2014
A lot of people told you stay away from it, I see it everyday on microsoft supports forum, to many problem, especially when doing upgrade.
as for the backup it's 2 different things, you probably made an image of the sys, this option is to backup files, folder

Upvote 0

ams963

Level 1
Verified
Mar 14, 2013
win8 is faster , yes it is, unless you have hardware made for XP or vista; just check hybrid boot; this feature own Win7 just by itself.
win8 use less resources, yes it is, no Aero crap fluffy effects. also no need to tweak all services to gain resources.
Win8 more reliable? for me yes, never got sudden BSODs like win7

Win8 is almost fully optimized out of the box, unlike Win7 where i have to spent 45mn to tweak everything to make it faster and more responsive.

i will never go back to win7 even if you pay me !
Just couldn't agree more.:)

Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
yes if you just surf safely, don't use dodgy softwares , it is all you need; windows security are implemented at kernel level ; one level deeper than any other security softs. now i don't say that using other security softs is useless but unlike with Win7 , you don't need them anymore.

i personally use some of them because i have to ( i closed-beta test them ) if not i will just stick with what Win8 offers.

you are welcome, you see if you do safely step by step , it is not so hard ;)

most of the people that bash Win8, never really used it or don't have any clue of what an OS should do. They just focus on their "used-to-use- useless-crap-fluffy-designed-toys".
Cheers @Umbra Polaris.:) This was nice to read as I do like my 'security..implemented at kernel level; one deeper than any other security software',:cool: so although I've neither fallen upon my own sword (so to speak) in bashing Windows 8,;) neither have I realized that I'd become accustomed to such "..useless-crap-fluffy-designed-toys"!:rolleyes::D

Last edited:
Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
This is just for backup your files not the system. You can ignore it.
Thank goodness, now your young apprentice can begin his further training!
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/...QwTixPePPRNCmed-W3bgDTbIGbvzpHapTKbp0dakT2R4A
images

images

@Umbra Polaris Yeah, I just unticked "windows backup" in the action center settings. :) I think it's a bug. Thanks a lot!

@King Mellow, you've completed running a marathon OS installation in the best imaginable way coming through to it's finish successfully after following the wise guidance of MT's Senators of Greece (unlike the fate Rome's Caesar met in the IDES of March) whom will rather continue watching your back instead.;) Well done, O King of Mellow!:)

Reactions: King Alpha
Upvote 0

Cats-4_Owners-2

Level 39
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Well-known
Dec 4, 2013
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.