stuck at safe mode login screen no mouse no keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Murat0077

Thread author
Dec 18, 2016
Good day

I am a bit helpless so i write here. Please help. I use windows 7 on an asus machine

My computer has a malware or virus. I did not want to touch it as i recently failed a combofix virus remover (my computer crashed in middle of process and i had to remove combofix manually) when it was so slow i decided to start the malware byte.

The malware byte did not scan in either mode so i decided to start computer im safe mode with networking.

I could not do this as there was no menu so i wrote msconfig and choose computer to boot with safe mode.

My computer started with safe mode but ni keyboard or mouse. I thought this is due to wireless keyboard and mouse and waited. Now i am using a mouse and keyboard but safe mode simply freezes at login screen no response from mouse or keyboard.

Neither of the options on startup screen yield a different result. Whatever i choose safe mode with command prompt safe mode with networking or even windows normally yields same login screen .

I have no other computer to run this first.txt as well. I can go to a friend to make a boot disc but can you help?

SHvFl

Level 35
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Nov 19, 2014
Do you really want to fix it this way? Can't you just grab your data or anything needed from the pc assuming they are still there and format?

If you are fine to grab the data and then format you need puppy linux and a windows iso dvd.

Puppy Linux Community Home - Getting Started

About the format part your asus system might have a recovery partition you can access while booting.

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
are you sure you had a malware attack?
If you are seeing random errors and slowdowns and system problems, this could very well be the signs of a hard disk that is about to die altogether.
If this is the case, you should save your personal data as @SHvFl described, and do it right away.

Run a disk check to determine the health of your hard disk.

Murat0077

Thread author
Dec 18, 2016
Hi Shimu,
That is a very good point you raise. Here is the latest status.\
I am at a friends computer making bootable linux.
My bootable linux at home *Ubuntu failed (I had two versions and both failed). My friend suggested me to play with the legacy options at BIOS to see if we can make the mouse and keyboard (both wired USB ).

I have tried restarting my computer several times to check if I can use the keyboard or mouse at safe mode and at the end two things happened
1- The blue log in screen no longer shows.
2- The last time windows started checking the integrity of my hard drive.

Therefore I left my computer to check the integrity and in the mean time I am here at another computer making the bootable dvd.

I will chekc above procedure. My prority is to get my data out of this computer as well but at this stage I am not really sure cause I can not even boot...

Regards,
Murat

Murat0077

Thread author
Dec 18, 2016
Latest update:
After checking the integrity of my drive windows safe mode log in screen appeared and magically my keyboard and mouse started working

I am currently backing up everything first to my d drive outside windows and thereafter g drive.

My plan of action ;
Once back up completes i will run malaware and avast
Then use msconfig to disable safe mode
Finally try booting computer normally

If these fail i will try system recovery. Any cons or better thinking i thank all of you in advance
Regards

shmu26

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Content Creator
Well-known
Jul 3, 2015
Latest update:
After checking the integrity of my drive windows safe mode log in screen appeared and magically my keyboard and mouse started working

I am currently backing up everything first to my d drive outside windows and thereafter g drive.

My plan of action ;
Once back up completes i will run malaware and avast
Then use msconfig to disable safe mode
Finally try booting computer normally

If these fail i will try system recovery. Any cons or better thinking i thank all of you in advance
Regards
you are smart to back up your data to a different media. (I am assuming your backup drive is on a different physical disk)

novocaine

Level 5
Verified
Well-known
Aug 19, 2016
welcome

635862412539767014-1091039256_tumblr_myoavezjeu1sor9n5o1_5001.gif

jamescv7

Level 85
Verified
Honorary Member
Mar 15, 2011
Hi and welcome to the community! :)

Glad that you find the solution on your preliminary issue, sometimes it is really a pain to fix certain issues on Windows because of different unique problems.

Reactions: Svoll and SHvFl
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.