Suggestion for security

BxH013

Thread author
Jan 29, 2017
So I don't need a super super crazy security setup but I am exposed to malware moderately. I am running only nod32 and hitman pro alert, I was thinking about adding voodoo sheild to the setup but not sure if that's redundant? I'm trying to keep the performance hit as low as possible as its a gaming pc mostly.

Reactions: Rengar

Rengar

Level 17
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 6, 2017
I am a gamer too so i would suggest you to:
1) Uninstall nod32 and HMPA, use Windows Defender with Windows Firewall and ZAM or
2) Uninstall nod32 and HMPA, use COMODO Firewall 10 ONLY with @cruelsister's set up ().

PS 1: im have number 1 and im planning on moving to number 2

PS 2: also dont download whatever comes to your path

PS 3: You can use Google Chrome with UblockOrigin :)

Last edited:

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Toolwiz Time Freeze is a great piece of software, it might be suitable for your needs. It simply allows you to run the instance of your desktop in a "sandbox" state and once you restart your system any changes made before will no longer be present, and that means if you were infected and you restart your computer then everything will be back to normal. You can also exclude files/programs so that changes can be made while running the software.

Here is the link: ToolWiz Time Freeze :)

BxH013

Thread author
Jan 29, 2017
I am a gamer too so i would suggest you to:
1) Uninstall nod32 and HMPA, use Windows Defender with Windows Firewall and ZAM or
2) Uninstall nod32 and HMPA, use COMODO Firewall 10 ONLY with @cruelsister's set up ().

PS 1: im have number 1 and im planning on moving to number 2

PS 2: also dont download whatever comes to your path

PS 3: You can use Google Chrome with UblockOrigin :)

I do see where your coming from thats keeping it pretty light on resources but i do have 32gb of ram and an overclocked 6700k as well as a 960 pro NVME, so i dont need that light just dont want to add 2-3 seconds to program load times and file access and such like i know some combos will do. also its just too light on the security side but i could see that working for most gaming situations thanks for the input!

Toolwiz Time Freeze is a great piece of software, it might be suitable for your needs. It simply allows you to run the instance of your desktop in a "sandbox" state and once you restart your system any changes made before will no longer be present, and that means if you were infected and you restart your computer then everything will be back to normal. You can also exclude files/programs so that changes can be made while running the software.

Thanks for the link ill definitely check that out a sandbox software would prob help out in some situations :D thanks for the input as well :D

appreciate all input and suggestions!

amico81

Level 21
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Jan 10, 2017
I'm a gamer too and eset nod32 is very lite. Used it for 2 years. Strong signatures.. Okay the HIPS is in 'auto' and 'smart' useless... But nod32 is fine with the setting 'Gamer Modus'. So save your money and keep eset

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014

Shadow Defender (paid software) is potentially a more secure solution than Toolwiz Time Freeze because the protection works at HDD sector level so It can also protect the Master Boot Record (MBR).
That's useful against bootkit malware like Petya ransomware and its variants.

Reactions: silversurfer

DJ Panda

Level 30
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Aug 30, 2015
Please fill out your config with the fields it has. That way it can be more detailed. :)

Crypto

Level 2
Verified
Jan 14, 2017
Shadow Defender (paid software) is potentially a more secure solution than Toolwiz Time Freeze because the protection works at HDD sector level so It can also protect the Master Boot Record (MBR).
That's useful against bootkit malware like Petya ransomware and its variants.

You're right but I don't recommend paid software unless I really need to. :)

tim one

Level 21
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Jul 31, 2014
You're right but I don't recommend paid software unless I really need to. :)
Fully agree, I just use freeware and giveaway apps on my system.
I got Shadow Defender lifetime license thanks to a good giveaway promotion even if, let me say in this case they would be really well spent money :)

sudo -i

Level 4
Verified
Jan 17, 2017
I actually think NOD32 + HMPA + VoodooShield is a fantastic combo. Personally, I was using Windows Defender + HMPA + VS and then switched to Comodo Firewall + HMPA, but I'm thinking of moving back to either Windows Defender or even NOD32. I don't see a need to switch up your setup.

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Your currents setup is good. Nod32 + HMP.Alert is strong and very light protection.

Since your a gamer I would not use Comodo Firewall or VoodooSheild. You honestly don't need to use a click heavy security app.

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.