Surfshark Antivirus. anyone tested it yet ?

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
its turning into norton
vpn+av+serch+darkweb monitoring

1628282647046.png

1628282669968.png

1628282603921.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Screenshot 2021-08-06 215528.png

Christ... How many Surfshark users will enthusiastically install this antivirus without knowing it currently offers no protection.
Surfshark's irresponsible for releasing this, and it needs to be pulled from market if they're advertising it as a traditional antivirus without it possessing real-time protection.

Edit: Their antivirus introduction blog post reads:
The best thing about Antivirus is that it works in real-time. This means that your devices are protected when you’re opening files or using and installing apps.
Hopefully this means my above post is wrong and that real-time protection is actually enabled.

Last edited:

LittleDude

Level 2
Verified
Jun 17, 2014
When I installed this latest update there appeared to be a lot of boxes flashing onscreen during installation....which was a little concerning as I don't remember seeing this on earlier up grades. Not sure if I've seen any program behave the way the latest upgrade did during installation.
I removed the Antivirus part using HiBit Uninstaller...no SurfShark antivirus service running now in the background.

peterfat11

Level 11
Verified
Top Poster
Well-known
Mar 25, 2021
View attachment 260052
Christ... How many Surfshark users will enthusiastically install this antivirus without knowing it currently offers no protection.
Surfshark's irresponsible for releasing this, and it needs to be pulled from market if they're advertising it as a traditional antivirus without it possessing real-time protection.

Edit: Their antivirus introduction blog post reads:

Hopefully this means my above post is wrong and that real-time protection is actually enabled.
but it looks like there is no option to turn it off/on

1628293968461.png

just a scanner?

Last edited by a moderator:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
Won't know for sure unless someone purchases it, but that picture could be from a pre-release build that doesn't include real-time protection.
Red is me on screenshot
Blue = Surfshark support
Green = Markings or simply censored stuff like links.

Its not released yet on Windows.
they claim it is on android as in the realtime part.

also either iam stupid or the website claims Realtime protection regardless of it being Windows or Android.
it doesnt say anywhere that it is only Android atm.
Archive link if they change the blog post Introducing Antivirus in our new Surfshark One bundle - Surfshark

also they use Avira SDK.

sadly they really didnt want to answer my question about "what data it logs" or needs.

Last edited:

Arequire

Level 29
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Feb 10, 2017
Red is me on screenshot
Blue = Surfshark support

also they use Avira SDK.

sadly they really didnt want to answer my question about "what data it logs" or needs.

Ok. The introduction does state real-time protection isn't available on Windows yet, it's just poorly placed within the post (at the end of a paragraph about file/folder exclusions, for whatever reason):
Surfshark Antivirus also allows you to exclude files and folders from scans and offers real-time protection (this feature is currently live on Android; coming soon on Windows).
Not sure how I missed it when I read through the blog post (I can only assume I thought file/folder exclusions were coming soon on the Windows version) but that's my fault for not seeing it.
I still think the Windows version shouldn't have been released until real-time protection was available. There's absolutely no reason to use this over Avira's own free offering.

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
Red is me on screenshot
Blue = Surfshark support

also either iam stupid or the website claims Realtime protection regardless of it being Windows or Android.
it doesnt say anywhere that it is only Android atm.
Archive link if they change the blog post Introducing Antivirus in our new Surfshark One bundle - Surfshark

also they use Avira SDK.

Good job, Avira detection rate is good

omidomi

Level 71
Verified
Honorary Member
Top Poster
Malware Hunter
Well-known
Apr 5, 2014
It feels like theyre thinking their customers are stupid enough to install this, could just install avira itself...but if its a clone surfshark is probably cheaper :unsure:
who one know?
if you ask them,why you have server in Russia?
they will reply you (the servers are safe ^_^ in hug with Putin :D )
but...mmm....there are many people try to find a way to waste their money :p

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.