Hot Take Surfshark VPN might not be safe - Warrant Canary Tripped since August

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
So Surfsharks Warrant Canary is Tripped since August.
I gave them the doubt and waited 1 more month cause let´s be real here Surfshark isn't really the VPN company known for Sleek nice and optimized code or clean solutions they rather puzzle their software together from third-party solutions and weird code behavior.
but now it's 2 months.

While its use on Surfshark was always Questionable with agreed-on law fights regarding P2P in the USA (See torrent freak they mentioned it in one of their articles ) , and their 15 min logs, and logging of every single device you ever used ( if you have an acc with them you can see every single device ever used in your acc ) claiming zero logs and claiming 0-0-0 on the warrant canary page.
Its now not anymore updated at all too.

This could mean Plenty of things.

They are lazy and didn't update it.
the backend software broke that ups it each month ( wouldn't surprise me by the quality of their software )
They actually got a case worth not Updating their Warranty Canary aka some Court order / Governmental Intrusion.

Edit 1*
to make matters worse
it was listed as of October 14 they didn't receive any orders

Now it shows as of AUGUST.
so they actively Edited the warrant canary one month BACK

Archive of said Warrant canary page from date of post

so all I can say is, Something "Fishy" ( no pun intended ) is going on with Surfshark , if you use it atm you may want to not use it.

Edit 2
A moderator ( And Employee ) of Surfshark gave a Statement on Reddit which doesnt solve why the Warrant canary isnt Updated AND was dialed back 1 month.

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
Doesn't mean anything. If you're trusting a service based on whether they are honest about intercept requests, then you have already lost the war. I'd be more concerned about Zerodium offering large amounts of cash for exploits in SurfShak windows client.

Reactions: Venustus

HarborFront

Level 71
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Oct 9, 2016
Doesn't mean anything. If you're trusting a service based on whether they are honest about intercept requests, then you have already lost the war. I'd be more concerned about Zerodium offering large amounts of cash for exploits in SurfShak windows client.

The Zerodium news was 1 year back. If Zerodium has got hand of any exploit to exploit the 3 VPNs it would have done so

Last edited:

Slerion

Level 5
Thread author
Verified
Well-known
Feb 24, 2016
New Update from a Surfshark Employee...

So it seems the Official stance is their code/software was bugged.

Honestly not surprised this was one of my guesses
Warrant canary is now Updated

Last edited:

Zero Knowledge

Level 20
Verified
Top Poster
Content Creator
Dec 2, 2016
No big deal in the end. Warrant canaries are useless anyway. What do they prove? Not much. If a vpn service is/was forced to hand over data, it would hit the media pretty quickly anyway and it would leak out on reddit/forums. It's probably good practice to have at least one subscription to the big 3 to Express/Nord/Surfshark together with one subscription to a privacy friendly service. The sheer amount of users/traffic from the huge number of users in those 3 services have would allow you to blend in more I would imagine.

Reactions: dinosaur07

About us

• MalwareTips is a community-driven platform providing the latest information and resources on malware and cyber threats. Our team of experienced professionals and passionate volunteers work to keep the internet safe and secure. We provide accurate, up-to-date information and strive to build a strong and supportive community dedicated to cybersecurity.

User Menu

Follow us

Follow us on Facebook or Twitter to know first about the latest cybersecurity incidents and malware threats.